1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How does one remote control a Olympus 5 mark 2 without WiFi on smart phone?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MichaelS, Dec 25, 2015.

1. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

I have a Olympus 5 mark 2 and want to use my smart phone as as remote control with full control when not in a WiFi hot spot IE No WiFi. Is there away. Being in mind the tether only works on a PC or laptop and not Android or Bramley?

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The camera produces its own wi-if hot spot, you don't need to be in an existing hot spot. Or do you mean that you want to do it in an area where wi-if isn't allowed?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, there is an Android and iOS app... Not sure what Bramley is.

Barry.

4. MichaelSewell

MichaelSewell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 1, 2015
    Burnley, UK
    Michael A. Sewell
    Bramley, as in Bramley Apple [iOS]
    Google

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

I mean where the is no WiFi in an isolated area say a wood away from a city . BTW a bramey is cooking apple .Also there is no Android. Tethering program using the USB yet I know I can get a remote control uusing the usb, its only a. Short step to using the USB as tether as one cando with a PC or laptop.And I wondered if there was a work round?
    Regards
    Mike

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The camera generates the wifi signal that the phone receives, just like your home router. No external network needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    do you need to control camera settings or just fire the shutter ?

oh and the bramley thing.. call things what they are actually called to save confusion.

its iOS. Android, OSX, Windows or Linux.. thats the OS brands that most people will recognise and understand.

your pet names don't cut it for reasoned discussion

K

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Also, when using the Olympus OIShare app (either Android or iOS) it is usual that the WiFi selection in the phone/ipad/tablet (settings) needs to be changed from an existing WiFi connection (e.g. at home) to the camera's WiFi but if "out in the sticks" then it will likely connect to the camera straight away if that is the only WiFi source available.

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Check Page 118 of the EM-5 Mark II Instruction Manual

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

Thanks Clint for response could you please show me step by step how I achieve the ,using the Olympus Ol.Share ( which is the the wifi alliance logo) as I have tried switching off the wifi on my smart phone.
    But the app ( Olympus Ol. Share )switches the wifi back on. From this I come to the conclusion that the router is the hub which the smart phone talks to which then talks to camera and visa versa.
    My next step is to put this the test, and look for ward to members would use the APP without wifi and perhaps they could share their method of setting up to do this. Thank for you help so far and please forgive me and my humour which I realise is not the done thing in the Oly forum.
    Regards
    Mike

11. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

Thanks Ross for response could you please show me step by step how I achieve the ,using the Olympus Ol.Share ( which is the the wifi alliance logo) as I have tried switching off the wifi on my smart phone.
    But the app ( Olympus Ol. Share )switches the wifi back on. From this I come to the conclusion that the router is the hub which the smart phone talks to which then talks to camera and visa versa.
    My next step is to put this the test, and look for ward to members would use the APP without wifi and perhaps they could share their method of setting up to do this. Thank for you help so far and please forgive me and my humour which I realise is not the done thing in the Oly forum.
    Regards
    Mike
    Ps my next step is to switch off my Router and see what happens

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Your camera cannot join an existing Wifi network ( as far as I can see).

It creates its own wifi network.

Your smartphone/tablet has to join that network in order to function. That network doesn't have access to the internet, its purely for communication between the camera and the smartphone/tablet

the OI.share application only works via wifi

K

13. Ross the fiddler

I'm not going to attempt to describe it all when this youtube video does it so well.

It would probably be a good idea to save this & one way I do is to add 'ss' to the web address after the www.ss
    That should give the best help around, better than anyone is likely to describe here.

Just a note. Scanning the QR code might be more trouble than it is worth & instead just enter the password provided from the camera into the WiFi connection on your phone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  14. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

Hi Rose,
    Thank you for the you-tube video but I am familiar with how to use the Ol.Share and have been using it successfully for a month. From this I note from Youtube video that it requires WIFI to work. Switch off WIFI and it stops working. Try it?
    My question still is unanswered and I have been told I don't need WIFI and perhaps if anyone who managed to use Ol.Share without WIFI, please show me step by step how you did it, rather than a how to. As I would be most grateful.
    Kind regards

Mike

15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I think you are a little confused/unclear what wifi is.

Wifi is just a wireless communication protocol that allows digital devices to communicate. Nothing more. Wifi is not the internet :)

Most peoples interaction with wifi is at home or in a coffee shop or workplace, where it is used to wirelessly share a hard wired internet connection. This is what a router or cable modem does. It acts as a base station and shares the internet connection to other users wirelessly

Olympus have used wifi as the means of controlling the camera. The camera becomes the base station for a very small self contained wireless network consisting of just the camera and a device running the Ol.Share application.

OL.share will not work without

a) the camera having wifi switched on , which makes it the base station for this small private network

b) the tablet/smartphone with the Ol.share app having its wifi switched on and logged into the cameras network.

while your device is connected to the camera wifi network, you cannot access any other wifi networks that may be around.

does that make things a little clearer?

K

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Who is Rose?

If you don't want WiFi remote control then get the remote cable release.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    OK, now I understand the OP question. Something lost in translation. ;-) There are two ways to remote control your camera's functions via software. Using WiFi and O.I. Share, or by tethering.

WiFi requires the use of a camera with its own WiFi and an iOS or Android device connected by WiFi.
    Tethering requires a USB cable from camera to a computer with Olympus Capture on it. Olympus Capture requires Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 OR MacOS 10.7-10.11.

There are several means of remotely getting the camera to take a photo, a USB remote cable release, or a wireless remote camera release. But it only allows the snapping of a photo and no other control adjustments remotely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

@Ross the fiddler@Ross the fiddler and @kevinparis@kevinparis

Guys, you need to answer his original question (possibly in Spanglish) and provide detailed instructions (or show him via telekinesis) exactly how you control an E-M5mkII(?) with a smartphone without using WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, usb tether or shortwave... :biggrin:

@MichaelS@MichaelS

The only place I know that teaches the skills of which you speak is Hogwarts, ask for a bloke named Harry... :thumbup:

19. MichaelS

MichaelS Guest

Show me how?

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve