How does Olympus compare to Fuji?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BushmanOrig, Jul 9, 2018.

1. BushmanOrig

BushmanOrig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2015
    Switzerland
    Siegfried
    As a huge Olympus supporter I have been watching the Fuji rise. Few years back I recall trying a few cameras and you had some that just jumped out from the group. One of those were the Nikon D7200. I recall the detail this camera produced at the time was something. At the time I had the E3.

Another that amazed me was the the EP1 when it was first introduced. I enjoyed the EP1 a lot and did some great images with that. The next I recall having had that effect on me was the first EM5. I never understood the shutter shock they had and how to set to avoid that. Those images not affected were awesome. Again I did some really great images with the EM5.

From there onwards this first reaction faded away, they all became so good in terms of IQ that I stopped looking like in the earlier days of digital cameras.

Then Fuji came along...."awesome sensor" and and. So I ended up getting a XT10 2nd hand to try and recently I picked up a XT20 to try. Going from 16 to 24MP should make a huge difference? For day to day use....it does not!

So I am working to compare the Pen-F, the EM1 II, the G9, the XT10 and the XT20. From my initial test shots and impressions I notice the following:

1. Olympus owners get use to a camera that always work, switch on and take the image
    2. The % good sharp images with Olympus is high (IBIS is really helpful)
    3. I am 100% comfortable with Olympus, functions, menu, settings....
    4. Sharpness, color, IQ between this sample is not that different, they all excellent
    5. The G9 and the EM1 IQ is really good, I would not be surprised if they beat the XT20
    6. I like the camera adjust, feel Fuji created with their cameras. Little gimmicky but great
    7. The Olympus lenses are really good, they feel like quality and the IQ is awesome
    8. Panasonic lenses like the Leica 42.5 f1.2 is outstanding
    9. Fuji lenses feel quality, heavy and good but not like Olympus or Leica
    10. IQ will not let me sell Olympus to take up Fuji
    11. Having worked extensively on the Pen-F & color, I prefer the Pen-F to Fuji filters
    12. Both Panasonic & Olympus packaging is really top compared to Fuji
    13. Fuji supply a cloth with their lenses...great idea, love it.
    14. Depth of field. Blur with Fuji is better (sensor size). On the other hand having all in focus is much easier with Olympus/Panasonic. Much easier to get good DOF w M43
    15. I was surprised at the noise filtering in the XT20, image "clean" but details lost!!
    16. I like the way Fuji focus, the indication on the screen...is it better?
    17. IS on Fuji is nowhere close to IBIS. I loose at least 50% images to blur on Fuji. With Olympus and the G9 I do not even think of blur. This is a huge difference between the brands.

As a final thought, I think one needs a real craving to go sell your Olympus/Panasonic gear to go Fuji. I can understand someone selling Fuji to go to Olympus or Panasonic

What are your thoughts?

Best

Siegfried

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Highlander

Highlander Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2011
    USA, Northeast Coast
    Richard Correale
    Each system has it's own pros & cons and one is not necessarily better than the other. I've been with Olympus gear since the days of Kodachrome and have no desire to look elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've bought into the Fuji system a few times now. The Fuji stuff has come and gone, and I've always kept my MFT gear. Mostly because of superior autofocus, responsiveness, and IBIS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I should have mentioned - there is a LOT about Fuji which I like. The hybrid viewfinder is very cool, and having old school dials for everything (ISO, aperture, shutter speed) is right up my alley.

I'm sure I'll try Fuji again before long. Right now I'm dipping a toe in the Sony waters again. Sony has come a long way in terms of AF, responsiveness, and IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Well at first blush it would seem that Fuji only has 4 letters compared to Olympus's 7 letters giving an edge to Olympus. But in reality "Fuji" is a crop-name with the full-name being Fujifilm, which is eight letters. So I think when compared to Olympus, Fujifilm is one extra letter.

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Appreciate x 1
  6. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    My sentiment is that #17 renders all the other #s pretty irrelevant.

I once loved the old-school knobs and dials but feel that digital controls are simply more convenient, and are easily made to reset. I can set up my cameras to turn on clean, no biases or overrides - I prefer that over a stylish dial that I leave set to +1.7EV for the next five minutes while I shoot things that will not repeat. I could teach myself to look for those things like I did forty years ago.. or go with what works really well for me today. I really like Pentax' green button, press a parameter and hit green to reset.

Clearly others don't feel like I do, hence Fuji appeal. Guess I'm immune. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Fuji......last time i try is Fuji X100T on black friday's sale event. I shot it wide open F2. There is a lot purple fringing and so soft. I also try to take B&W shot and guess what??? no noise and no sharpness. What the.....i put it slowly while the salesman speaks about great quality, bla bla bla....and i'm walk away.

8. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    Finally someone gets it that DOF is a double edged sword.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep. I think with wider angle lenses, larger sensors are still better for generating shallow DoF (Even with the 17 PRO, there's not a huge difference to the slightly slower lenses covering a similar focal length). However once you start getting in to the short telephoto range, it starts to benefit smaller sensors with lenses shot wide-open because you get the smoothness of a lens shot wide open (i.e. 25 PRO, 45 PRO, 75/1.8), but with DoF that is around f/2.5 in terms of FF, helping get more of the subject in-focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    For many Indonesians this would be like choosing between...

DARWIS TRIADI (@darwis_triadi) • Instagram photos and videos MFT 178K followers

VS

Mario Blanco (@mario_blanco) • Instagram photos and videos Ter-FUJI-lah 20k

Am I right? They are among, if not the top blokes in the game there. I think they were making a point by choosing what generally perceived as 'amateur' gear for their work.

12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    It always feels like m4/3 compared to xxx ends with sensor size debates, speaking as someone who has switched from m4/3 to Fuji, I don't think it's made any changes to the quality of my photos, both system have pros and cons and I've used some of the best m4/3 lenses, I think I've come to Fuji at the right time, in history, every other mirroeless system has been slower than m4/3 but now many have caught up.

I do miss having IBIS though, I even missed the Oly IBIS on the EP5 when I owned the GX85 which also has 5 axis IBIS, but there is an advantage with the image quality going bigger, in the end it's always going to be "smaller systems do something better and larger systems do other things better."

For someone who wants the operating and AF speed on an aps-c sensor system that's cheap, the lastest EOS-M bodies IMO are quite nice but you'll have to adapt DSLR lenses as there aren't many great native lenses. As a system, I think Fuji is great with the currently available image quality and lenses. Or you can go get Sony, the A7II is quite cheap with great image quality but the native lenses are quite expensive. Or, a mirrorless Nikon is around the corner.

13. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Veteran

upload_2018-7-11_9-56-30.
    upload_2018-7-11_9-57-6.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    You know what m43 provides, fish around in Fuji forums. They are just as active and informative as this one. Maybe even find people in your area that will let you get your hands on one. Test it. Words will never be enough to give you an accurate appraisal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Olympus looks a little more accessible, Fuji more imposing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Oly and Fuji are both great. Different in many ways, but still great.

But to the OP, if you are truly losing half of your shots with Fuji because of blur why are you even spending another second thinking about it? And then there is the packaging and lens cloth benefits...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

You can take a bus half way to the top of Fuji from Tokyo in 2 hours. It's not so bad.

But one of them has gods living on top of it, so that's a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Mu-43 Veteran

So does Mount Fuji, depending on the myth one chooses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

I know there is a goddess of Mt. Fuji, but I didn't think they believed she actually lived there.

20. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Not really. In past, it's true Darwis role has strong influence. Now days, Olympus Indonesia use different approach which is through instagram, youtube and other social media's celebrities. Darwis is no longer Olympus Indonesia brand ambassador. They still use him for coaching clinic only though.

As for Fuji, yes my friend (who use XE2) is a fan of Mario Blanco :biggrin: but then again he choose Fuji not because of him. Oh by the way the word "terfujilah" it's a great marketing word. It's Gathoe Soebroto's original idea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.