How does a GH1 compare to EPM1, OMD, EP3 (please read before posting)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by WT21, May 18, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I need a larger body than my EPM1, and have been shopping either an EP3 w/VF2, and larger grip, or the unattainable OMD.

But I see the used GH1s are pretty affordable. I'd like as good or slightly better IQ than my EPM1, doesn't have to be OMD level, as I plan to move to an OMD by end of the year. I mainly just need a second body to handle some long zooms (100-300) and be backup body.

How does the GH1 compare to the EPM1 quality wise, or to the Oly VF2 viewfinder wise, and also speed of performance and handling.

Especially helpful would be anyone who has used a GH1, Recent Pen and OMD.

Thanks!

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Before the OM-D arrived it was the second-best micro 4/3 body in terms of image quality (right after the GH2). I think it's still a very good camera.

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    VF2 is supposedly better. Never handled a GH1 but the GH2 I handled isn't a very good fit for my hands, the grip is large but it's not large enough for my hands for it to be comfortable.

The EM5 is actually a bit smaller than the EP3 with EVF2 and the built in grip is smaller than the EP3 large grip.

The EP3 probably makes for a better tele camera and back up because it's smaller and the optional grip makes it modular.

Only draw back I see is that the VF2 doesn't lock down.

I have a VF3, probably will get the EP3 once the EP4 or what ever is released.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I'm still wondering about how the OMD will handle with a long and/or heavy lens attached...? I don't fancy having to spend $300 on a grip to make it work.

I hedged my bets by picking up a good condition used GH2; like the G2, it feels really secure in my hands. I believe it will be my primary camera for a while - but then I said that about the G2, the E-P3....:redface:

5. BrankoD76

BrankoD76 New to Mu-43

Mar 14, 2012
    If we compare E-PM1 and GH-1 quality wise, GH-1 has lower noise level at high ISO, more than 20% better image quality compared to E-PM1 and 1,3 f-stops more dynamic range.

On the other hand E-PM1 has image stabilization and GH-1 doesn't, it has a self cleaning sensor, more focus points and is more than 80% faster in continuous shooting.

If we compare GH-1 and VF-2 viewfinder wise , they have almost the same number of dots, it's much easier to handle GH-1 viewfinder in terms of ergonomics. On the other hand, VF-2 has slightly better sharpness.

I hope this helped a bit :D

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    The banding/horizontal striping on my GH1 could be terrible even at ISO800. Panasonic said it was normal and wouldn't fix it. If you do go down the GH1 route I'd say be very sure to check the sensor output before you pull the trigger.

The metering is the other area where the GH1 failed for me. It just wasn't anything like as good as my E-P1 or E-P3. I ended up calling it the exposure lottery - and I don't think I won often enough :smile:

Although I'm not as impressed as many with the VF-2, it doesn't seem to have the rainbow effect that the GH1 has. Not a big deal but it's a bit distracting if your eyes are susceptible.

7. I think the GH1 is one of the best kept secrets in Micro 4/3, mostly because it is assumed that it is just a G1 that does video. Now it's not quite up to the standards of the E-M5 but that is hardly a criticism and it is 2.5 years older. It's high ISO performance has been overtaken by newer models but the bare sensor performance still scores it higher than any other Micro 4/3 camera as measured by dxomark. I've only seen banding starting at very high ISOs so for me it is inconsequential. I don't think that the jpeg engine does the GH1 a lot of favours but the RAW output is very good and it will produce colours as vibrant as an Olympus without too much trouble.

On a more practical level the handling is as good as any of the G or GH model Panasonics. The GH1 thankfully precedes the rather dubious decision by Panasonic to move the control dial to the rear of the camera, and of course the articulating screen is worth it's weight in gold. The viewfinder is larger than the VF-2 but can be uncomfortable to look at. Some may have a problem with it, some may not.

I could say that the GH1 is brilliant with the 25/1.4, but the ANY camera is brilliant with the 25/1.4. Put simply; despite now having the E-M5, my GH1 isn't going anywhere. One important thing to consider is that the GH1 is a Panasonic, not an Olympus. Depending on you preferences that may be a good thing, a bad thing, or of no consequence.

• Like Like x 2
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah I thought the gh1 isnt even that far behind the gh2 for iq. The big advantage of the gh2 is probably the af which is in the same class of the newest generation. Thats the upgrade I want from my first gen cameras.