How do you "wear" your m43 camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aukirk, Mar 23, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I have been trying to take my Olympus OM-D E-M5 with me everywhere so I use it more often. The small size together with wearing a coat over the winter has allowed me to put the E-M5 in one pocket and an extra lens or two in the other pockets. As the weather is getting warmer, I am wondering how others "wear" their camera. When I carry a camera bag, I find that I take fewer pictures. In the past, when I know I will be shooting a lot, I will put the camera on a shoulder sling strap and put the extra lens in each pocket of cargo shorts. However, carrying the camera loose over the shoulder everywhere I go may result in some odd looks (especially in the grocery store or while shopping where good photos can often be made).

How often do you "wear" your camera and what is your preferred method of carrying it?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    If I am out shooting landscapes or wildlife, I wear a domke vest. More gear I will take a backpack.

An if not out in the wild it will reside in one of my billinghams.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I am rarely without a camera. Even before µ4/3 I would walk around with a 1D across a shoulder. With µ4/3 I have various sized bags which correspond to amount of equipment I will be carrying. I rarely bag a camera as there are no photos worth taking in a bag. Some here like to hide the camera under a coat or such, especially for street images. I like the challenge of the open camera on the open street, putting all the cards on the table and see what I can get.

Do what works best for your photography, don't worry about the odd looks ... make the world respond to you ... not you to the world. I tried being sneaky, shooting from the hip, et cetera. It's not for me. Other's get some great images and I think it's great for them ... but for me, if I hide the camera ... I just want to shower after I'm done shooting. Shoot the way that gets you the most exceptional images and let the chips fall where they may ... (just be respectful of others).

• Like Like x 4
  4. I wear a ScotteVest and stuff the pockets with an iPad batterries, lens and an EP-2 with the 20mm Panny. The OMD sits at home all alone.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I carry mine all the time in a small shoulder bag, but when I'm shooting outside in the winter I can just throw it in the big pockets on my Canadian military-issue winter coat. The pockets on that coat will engulf anything!
  6. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think if you're worried about people looking at you, that you should simply use a longer lens. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    You could cover it with a Domke wrap or some other quick to remove neoprene pouch that can be stuffed in a pocket when not in use.

9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I'm with Gary - there's no pictures worth taking in a bag :thumbup:

Every time I carry the camera in the bag, I find the odds of me taking 0 photos and just carting it around all day for nothing go up exponentially. I prefer now to carry spare lenses or gear in the bag (if I have a bag at all), and keep at least one camera/lens out.

As for the weird looks, I just don't worry about it. I've carried all kinds of cameras out and about (m4/3, Fuji, DSLR) and I just sling it over a shoulder or my neck and don't worry about it. Actually if anything, I've had a few interesting conversations with other photographers especially when carrying the big DSLR since they tend to ask what I'm shooting and we'll chat a bit about it. I mean, if you're toting a camera around your neck, it's probably pretty obvious you're into photography, right? Not a whole lot that needs an explanation there. :smile:
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
  11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Bags are just one more thing to get in the way. I wear a military camo jacket and/or padded lens pouches on my waist.
  12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I have mine on a wrist strap. I put the strap on the left lug and left hand (I'm right handed), leaving my right hand free for important things, like drinking. I can just let it dangle from my left wrist if I need both hands.

Extra lens in my pocket if I need one. If I want all my stuff, Hadley Small shoulder bag, very light and comfortable.
  13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Like this:

<a href="" title="Back to the camera, camera to the back by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="546" alt="Back to the camera, camera to the back"></a>

It's out of the way and if I see something interesting all I have to do is swing it around, bam. Feels very natural to me. I don't get weird looks from people.

And yes, I've gone shopping with it.
    <a href="" title="Shopping by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="Shopping"></a>
    • Like Like x 5
  14. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    Despite what was said above, I think that NOT alerting subjects on your having a camera is a good hunting practice. Therefore a coat with large pockets in Winter and a vest in the Summer. Once one is on a scene just never raise the camera to your eyes, and you become the Invisible Man.
    Camera bags are a no-no, but if I need to carry more accessories a nondescript messenger bag won't attract attention.
    Of course one can also make oneself blatantly visible, like Kai of DigitalRev. But among the millions in HK, people might be less hung up than in the West.
  15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    amalric, your suggestion seems to be specific to street photography only. I think the original question was about general photography though.
  16. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    I usually have mine on a Blackrapid shoulder sling. I personally can't stand having anything hanging around my neck. I try to take it out with me whenever I know I'm going to places that I haven't really been to,or if I know I'll be out for a while. If I'm just making a short hop to the supermarket, I no longer take my camera with me (used to though, when I first got it). I just fall on my phone to take pictures during that short time.
  17. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    always camera in my hand, OMD with grip. shoulder strap wrapped round wrist. lenses in pocket or small domke messanger style bag if i need more than two lenses with me. If i have to smoke a cigarette or carry shopping then camera goes over shoulder...never never never around my neck unless I am changing lenses one handed because of shopping or cigarette.. Usual lens routine is new lens cap off, camera pointed down...ish,
    lens off, new lens on, cap on old lens
  18. NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 8, 2011
    new jersey
    i wear mine around my neck (under my coat for the winter). i just bought a new camera bag, but i have been leaving it behind on occasion because like you said, if it's out and around my neck, i take more photos. if i have to take it out my bag, take the cap off, turn it on...the shot it gone.

sometimes i wear it as a sling so it's not bouncing, but never on my shoulder.

for the summer i may ditch the camera bag all together for just one camera one lens outing.

so around my neck or sling style is how i wear it. similar to the picture that's posted in this thread.
  19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmmm.. thats sounds real unintimidating :)

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i just recently swiped my finger loop from gariz off of my x100 and put it on my em5
    loving it!

and i usually just have a spare battery with me... mebbe a diff lens if i KNOW ill need it, and then i keep it in the car and just go back if i actually swap