1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you use your second body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LDraper, Jul 19, 2012.

1. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm curious how people make use of a second camera? I used to shoot with two Contax G cameras (a G1 and a G2) and 4 primes that I carried in one waist pack. It was a good system and kept me from having to swap lenses all the time. Since moving to digital, though, I've mostly just shot with one camera. I bought the first Digital Rebel and then replaced it with a 20D. I kept both cameras but I hardly used the older one after I bought the new one.

I started in MFT with the EPL1 and used that by itself for about a year, but was itching to try one of the newer cameras. I wound up with the EPM1. I recently took a trip to Scotland, and I thought I would use the two cameras they way I used to use the Contax system. But I was surprised that I wound up choosing to take the EPM1 with me almost all the time. I had the EPL1 as a backup (and peace of mind) but I didn't use it much and it stayed in the hotel room! I resisted carrying the whole kit with me. Even though MFT is light, two cameras still gets to be a lot to carry around if you're not pressured to get your shots. I was wondering if many people carry and use two cameras interchangeably or if they mostly keep one in their bag (or at home) as an insurance policy?

2. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    On a recent family trip to Paris, I carried the EM5 and let my teenage son carry my EPL2, which he was using for street fashion photography for an internship he's doing this summer. That way, I had to carry only one camera but had a backup available if anything happened. If I'd been on my own, I would have left the EPL2 home, where it now normally stays (in the bullpen, as it were).

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I had a similar experience with my dual setup (currently G3 and a GX1). Here's how I've been using a dual body setup lately:

1) Pick and choose: take whichever body matches the day's plan. For example, today I took my G3 because I expected to be carrying a camera on a BlackRapid strap with spare lenses in the bag. For this I prefer the G3 because the screen can be flipped over for protection. If the camera is staying in the bag to be pulled out for impromptu shots, I would probably pick the GX1.

2) One lens each: this would be if I know I'll need to switch back and forth between two lenses. For Alaska sightseeing for example, I will want my 100-300 readily available for wildlife photo ops, but also a wider/general use lens like the 14-140 or 7-14 for landscapes and other stuff. Also good for something like a party where I might want to swap between two fast primes like the 45mm for candid portraits and a 25mm for wider environmental stuff.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I believe I have talked about this in another thread before, but, anyway, here we go:

Before I got my E-M5, things were easy since IQ and performance of my E-P3 and E-PL3 were similar, so I can easily put a PL25 on my E-P3 and a 45/1.8 or 12/2 on my E-PL3, and carry the other lenses in my bag. Depending on which lens is on which body, I just grab that body and fire away. (Well, this is the over-simplified version, since I did notice some difference in AWB and the ability to nail focus between the 2 after using them for a while).

Things got complicated after I got the E-M5. It performs better than my PENs in every regard, making it difficult to switch body without being aware of the differences in IQ and other performances, such as IBIS (not as much of an issue in good light). As a result, my PENs now become strictly a backup to my E-M5.

As much as I love the style and ergonomics of my E-P3, it is now spending most of its time in my cabinet, since carrying both the E-M5 and the E-P3 is too bulky, so the E-PL3 gets the backup job. This is far from ideal, because the primary reason I use 2 camera bodies in the first place was because I wanted to reduce the amount of lens changing. Now, I am back to constantly switching lens on my E-M5... I am also forced to use my 12-50 kit lens a lot more than I'd like in order to reduce the lens switching, but pictures taken with the 25/1.4 and the 45/1.8 are just SO MUCH nicer...

I am keeping all 3 cameras for now though, since I'd like to see what the new PENs are like before deciding how to upgrade my second camera body. If the new PENs don't get the E-M5 sensor, I might end up getting another E-M5 body as a back-up, although this is not an ideal situation either, because of the bulk!

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I use my black E-M5 for my walkabout camera, and my silver one for more upscale events when I want a little glitz.

6. tomas

tomas Mu-43 Regular

Depends on where you are

When in travel mode I usually shoot both camera bodies. Which lenses depends on where I am and whether I'm inside or outside. I don't like doing a lot of lens changing when I'm walking around some venue on any particular trip--dust, moisture, the risk of dropping a lens are all issues.

For example, (I've sold these lenses and bodies since then and replaced them with others) in Williamsburg, VA, last fall I kept the Panasonic 12mm on one EPL2 and the Panasonic 20mm lens on the other EPL2 for 95% of my shots, inside or outside. I used my Olympus 14-150mm only occasionally on that trip. That used to be my usual walk around lens but when I discovered how much sharper the 12 and the 20 were it was soon sold.

On an upcoming trip to Europe I will use the Panasonic 7-14mm on one body and either the PL 25mm or the Olympus 12-50mm on the other for outside shots, occasionally switching to the 45 or 75 when needed. (The 12-50mm is my rainy day/backup lens. I haven't used it enough to determine whether I can trust it to deliver sharp photos reliably--I really wish Oly m4/3 had a 12-60mm lens like the 4/3 Oly 12-60mm.) One can't back up as far to get architectural shots in Europe as one can at Williamsburg. Inside buildings I will start with the 7-14 and the 25, switching to the Oly 45 or the soon to be acquired Oly 75mm when I want to zoom in and the 12 or the 25 for really low light shots.

I'll leave the Panasonic 45-175 home. I don't need long telephotos on Europe trips. I can always use the 75 and crop if I need a longer reach.

Sure, I look like a geek with two camera slung around my neck. But I'm 70 years old and I don't have to impress anybody these days. I'm much more interested in taking sharp photos that please me of the sites I have come so far and at great expense to see. Two E-M5 bodies don't weigh that much, even with the grips installed. (That's why I moved from 4/3 to m4/3 in the first place.

I have a security bag (rather than a camera bag) in which the two E-M5 bodies, and the 7-14, 12, 25, 45, 75 and the 12-50 fit. It's slash proof and reasonably immune to drizzle. For evening or inside venues I leave the 7-14, and the 12-50 in the hotel safe.

7. It's good job that no one asked how do you use your third body :redface: (Answer: when you get bored of using the first two!)

I just use them to mount two different lenses at once, be it two primes, a prime and a zoom, or two zooms. One camera will be around my neck, and the other with the strap wrapped partially around my hand. The E-M5 is my primary body so it would usually be mounted with the lens that I expect to use most, but I often use it with the touchscreen so it would mostly have a lens suited best to that; being either a normal prime or a wider zoom.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Two cameras of the same system.

Bag of chosen lenses each in their own compartments.

Each camera has their own compartment.

None of the lenses have caps

I pick a lens and camera.. shoot... put the camera in the bag

I pick another lens and camera.. shoot .. put the camera in the bag.

I almost never use the straps around my neck.

Repeat.

As for travel, I pack a hard case (pelican 1510) with a cable and lock. I only carry what I want in my bag. The rest stays in the hotel locked up with the key hidden somewhere in the hotel room. I usually wrap the cable around something that is relatively immobile such as the sink or something. Pelican usually is packed with 12 lenses and 4 bodies.

9. winsor

winsor Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    little red dot - city of SIN
    arthur koh
    3 body is crazy. Tat is a photo greek!!!

10. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    The E-M5 is my main camera, used with the 12 / 25 / 45, and the 12-50 for macro / bad weather.

The E-P3 is my carry everywhere with the 20 (fits in a small slot in my bag and in a coat pocket) and on photographic trips doubles as the backup to the E-M5 with a second prime attached. Usually that means 25 or 45 on the E-M5, and the 12 on the E-P3.

My GH-2 with 14-140 is on video / soccer duty, and nowadays only gets used on special occasions.