How do you use your Olympus lens function button?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I honestly don't know what I programmed it for. :hmmm:

Plus, I never can remember what I've put into the camera body's function/memory buttons either so I stay away from using them figuring it might go to where I don't want it to go, which might call for a total reset later on. I got too many bodies and lenses to remember what I programmed where and into what and for what.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I honestly don't know what I programmed it for. :hmmm:

Plus, I never can remember what I've put into the camera body's function/memory buttons either so I stay away from using them figuring it might go to where I don't want it to go, which might call for a total reset later on. I got too many bodies and lenses to remember what I programmed where and into what and for what.
Hint and I’m sure you thought of this - I program ALL bodies the same where possible now that I have 2 em1mk3 it’s easier

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hint and I’m sure you thought of this - I program ALL bodies the same where possible now that I have 2 em1mk3 it’s easier
You're lucky with two of the same thing.

Sure, it would be easy for me if they were all the same make and model. But Pen-F is different in functions than an E-M1.1 or E-M1.2, and way different than a Nikon Z7 II, or Inspire 2's m43 drone cam, etc. Seeing M1, C1, U1, Fn-1 on Olympus lenses and whatever it is called on the buttons on the Nikon S lenses (??), is just too much for my feeble mind to comprehend and try and store and recall later as a memory function between brands/models.

Every time I switch models it takes me a while to figure out what setting is off for the given shooting circumstances. Trying to recall what was set in some camera's memory and why might take me another twenty minutes before I get comfortable with it. So it's often off to "Manual mode" land and then refine it later if I stay there too long. My next venture out with that camera is a whole new setting experience.

Where's my cellphone? Easier to operate, and not a bunch of buttons and memory stuff either. Even view camera was easier to operate. :hide:

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You're lucky with two of the same thing.

Sure, it would be easy for me if they were all the same make and model. But Pen-F is different in functions than an E-M1.1 or E-M1.2, and way different than a Nikon Z7 II, or Inspire 2's m43 drone cam, etc. Seeing M1, C1, U1, Fn-1 on Olympus lenses and whatever it is called on the buttons on the Nikon S lenses (??), is just too much for my feeble mind to comprehend and try and store and recall later as a memory function between brands/models.

Every time I switch models it takes me a while to figure out what setting is off for the given shooting circumstances. Trying to recall what was set in some camera's memory and why might take me another twenty minutes before I get comfortable with it. So it's often off to "Manual mode" land and then refine it later if I stay there too long. My next venture out with that camera is a whole new setting experience.

Where's my cellphone? Easier to operate, and not a bunch of buttons and memory stuff either. Even view camera was easier to operate. :hide:
I no longer own digital Nikon I’m Olympus and Sony
Agree em,s are different than the pen-F for that I only have several things set the same
My Sony gear is set nearly the same as my Olympus gear far different than Nikon so picking up one isn’t that much different than the other (Olympus/Sony)

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I had set the lens function button to Magnify but I find it bit too complicated (I just want a close up view of the focus point, nothing more), so I recently set it to switch to and from between the default AF point. It might be worth practicing now that I've start shooting moving subjects more.

And it will take practice after using the same camera for 15 years, and both E-M1 II and 12-100mm are still new to me, so the layout of the buttons and their functions are still unfamiliar, and programmable buttons are even harder to learn. Camera becoming second-nature is important to photography, you shouldn't think about the camera, it shouldn't become a distraction, but I am not at that point yet. If you use multiple cameras and multiple systems, then maybe programmable buttons aren't for you.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom