How do you use your Olympus lens function button?

getoutnshoot

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
Hopefully this isn't a duplicate of an existing thread; I didn't see one...

I have now acquired a 3rd Olympus Pro lens with the lens function button (12-40mm f/2.8 was my 1st, then the 300mm f/4, and now the new 8-25mm f/4). But after all these years I still haven't developed a habit of using and taking advantage of the lens function button.

I'm just curious to hear how people are using their lens function buttons and why? I'm sure I'll get a wide variety of answers and sometimes the "why" may get into how the other camera buttons are configured / already used... That's fine and that too might make me rethink how I have my camera set up.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I only have the 12-100 PRO with the button.

For a brief time I had it programmed to turn on the digital zoom as that seemed a natural for a longish lens when 100mm still wasn't close enough. While I still tend to only download the RAW and crop on the computer, the digital zoom button can be helpful to visualize framing and line up the shot with cropping in mind. However one time I found I accidentally hit that button and I didn't notice it was in digital zoom and I ended up with a handful of photos that were too wide because I thought I was twice the zoom than I was and would have been much better had I zoomed further and/or moved closer. D'oh!

So now I just have it set to my basic myset1 so if I accidentally hit it doesn't put me in a weird state I may not notice. And gives me a quick reset if I change up some stuff but then need to get back to basics immediately when I might not have the time to do it through the menus system. Of course the flip side is I could spend time setting up for shooting something, get half way thru, accidentally hit the button and then ruin a few shots until I figure out I cancelled all those changes I just made a bit ago.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Haven’t made great use of it myself so far but I’ve seen the idea to use it for the ‘AF limiter’ function somewhere before and thought that was a good option.

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate of an existing thread; I didn't see one...

I have now acquired a 3rd Olympus Pro lens with the lens function button (12-40mm f/2.8 was my 1st, then the 300mm f/4, and now the new 8-25mm f/4). But after all these years I still haven't developed a habit of using and taking advantage of the lens function button.

I'm just curious to hear how people are using their lens function buttons and why? I'm sure I'll get a wide variety of answers and sometimes the "why" may get into how the other camera buttons are configured / already used... That's fine and that too might make me rethink how I have my camera set up.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
I'm glad you asked this as I was thinking the same thing. I'm looking forward to all of the ideas. I've had the 12-40 for years and never used it but the 40 150 2.8 has me looking at the possibility of using it

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
My favorite L-FN function is manual focus. Must not move the clutch when I use the viewfinder. And if I hit accidentally I now what happened as well. No damages done.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ve got this button on my kit 12-50EZ.
I’ve never used it. But boy I’m glad it is there!

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
AF home in most modes and AF limiter in Custom “action” mode. I found that I cannot use it for anything more critical as it doesn’t exist on my primes.

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Rookie
Ever since I saw Rob Trek’s video on how one can scroll through various functions by pressing Fn2 button and using the back wheel, I stopped assigning ISO/WB to other buttons and just use Fn2 for it unless I need another feature available for the button, e. g. keystone correction. By the way, just tried doing it and, for the life of me, could not change the mode :) I guess, I need to revisit that video.

Ever since I saw Rob Trek’s video on how one can scroll through various functions by pressing Fn2 button and using the back wheel, I stopped assigning ISO/WB to other buttons and just use Fn2 for it unless I need another feature available for the button, e. g. keystone correction. By the way, just tried doing it and, for the life of me, could not change the mode :) I guess, I need to revisit that video.
There are so many of his videos I would like to watch again but finding them is hard some times.

I just watched the one you mentioned again [I think it is this one]

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I use it to temporarily disable autofocus (disabled when pressed). Handy when shooting e.g. live events where you can (pre-)focus to the spot and just wait for the perfect moment to take the shot.

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I use it to help get the lens on. If I have it under my finger tip I find that to mount the lens I need line it up vertically with the camera and that results in the mounts being aligned for a quick twist on.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I found that I cannot use it for anything more critical as it doesn’t exist on my primes.
Yes that is one problem with having only some lenses with a function button. You get used to it then are kind of lost when you switch to lenses without a function button. That was one of the reasons I briefly tried using the button for digital zoom on my 12-100 as this isn't a function I would ever want to use on my primes.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom