1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How do you use Image Overlay with your Olympus Camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Nov 23, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

My first experiment with this function was done with an E-PL5.

As far as I can tell it will give you ghost images, as shown in this sample:

For my purposes it seems easier to achieve my desired end result by putting each location of the bear on a separate layer in Photoshop and then using a layer mask, as I did for the bear on the left, to paint through the other bear.

I welcome input suggestions for other uses for the image overlay technique.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    usually i use the x.06 or x.08 versus x.1.1/1.5. Depend on the situation.

3. isabel95

Sorry Rezatravilla - Can you please explain what your reply has to do with image overlay?

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    That's my setting =D so when I do it usually go through that setting. So the dominan will be the bears and the chair will be like shadow.

But if u want equally result which is the bears and the chair exactly the same image, image overlay won't do. Must choose which one will be the dominan/object =)

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    as I understand it (from the E-M1 implementation) by default the auto gain function will give you correctly exposed common elements, and ghosts of any non common elements - as your bears ie for 2 frames each will be exposed at 50% in total. can't believe it took me 12mins to type this - the answer above now explains that bit better!

it's not an application that can duplicate decision making and selective exposures in the way you are with masks - it's a poor relation for the 99.9% of users who either don't have photoshop or wouldn't know how to use a layer mask :rolleyes:

6. isabel95

Ah...now I understand. Thank you.

I think the Photoshop method works better for me, and is easier!