How do you use Image Overlay with your Olympus Camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Nov 23, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

My first experiment with this function was done with an E-PL5.

As far as I can tell it will give you ghost images, as shown in this sample:
    View attachment 327586

For my purposes it seems easier to achieve my desired end result by putting each location of the bear on a separate layer in Photoshop and then using a layer mask, as I did for the bear on the left, to paint through the other bear.
    View attachment 327587

I welcome input suggestions for other uses for the image overlay technique.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    usually i use the x.06 or x.08 versus x.1.1/1.5. Depend on the situation.

3. isabel95

Sorry Rezatravilla - Can you please explain what your reply has to do with image overlay?

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    That's my setting =D so when I do it usually go through that setting. So the dominan will be the bears and the chair will be like shadow.

But if u want equally result which is the bears and the chair exactly the same image, image overlay won't do. Must choose which one will be the dominan/object =)

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    as I understand it (from the E-M1 implementation) by default the auto gain function will give you correctly exposed common elements, and ghosts of any non common elements - as your bears ie for 2 frames each will be exposed at 50% in total. can't believe it took me 12mins to type this - the answer above now explains that bit better!

it's not an application that can duplicate decision making and selective exposures in the way you are with masks - it's a poor relation for the 99.9% of users who either don't have photoshop or wouldn't know how to use a layer mask :rolleyes:

6. isabel95

Ah...now I understand. Thank you.

I think the Photoshop method works better for me, and is easier!