How do you use "C1" and "C2" ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldracer, Sep 20, 2013.

  1. oldracer

    oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Oct 1, 2010
    OK, my GX7 is ordered and will replace one of my G1s. Assuming the experiment is a success, a second GX7 will replace my other G1.

    To date, probably 99% of my shots have been in "P" mode with the other 1% being randomly distributed among other modes when I didn't check to see whether the dial had been bumped before shooting. Essentially I am shooting the same way I shot film cameras. Make the settings, take the shot.

    As I understand the custom modes, one can have lock in a group of settings which will then become active whenever the knob is turned to C1 or C2. Change a setting while in C1, turn the knob to something else, and the setting is restored to original upon returning. Is this right? If not, please explain.

    So, give me some ideas please. If you use the custom modes, how do you do it? I am thinking that I might want a custom mode setting for panoramas, but beyond that have no ideas.
  2. drtom

    drtom New to Mu-43

    Jul 26, 2013
    Boulder, CO, USA
    I use my C1 for general photography (A preferred, one point focus, std shutter, raw, etc) I use the C2 when I plan on using a tripod for close up (e.g., moveable auto focus point vs locked one in C1, electronic shutter, raw, etc.). It's really handy.
  3. ntblowz

    ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

    Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I use C1 for video with manual lens and custom colour setting and C2 for photo with manual lens.
  4. brettmaxwell

    brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

    Dec 8, 2012
    The way I've used this on other cameras in the past is to setup one as a quick-shot mode for me on one (back button focus, wide open, aperture priority, auto-ISO) and a 'pass it to a novice' mode on another (shutter button focus, f4, broad focus area, aperture priority, auto-ISO).
  5. beanedsprout

    beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

    Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Never used either
  6. RT_Panther

    RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

    May 4, 2011
    Hmmm...I can see using them in the following scenarios:

    1) Going quickly from a prime to a zoom
    2) Going quickly from indoors to outdoors & vice-versa

  7. oldracer

    oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

    Oct 1, 2010
    You would have a different group of settings for a prime vs those for a zoom? What differences?
    I can see changing ISO, but what else do you change?

    I assume you are not talking about loading the "scene" type presets ("silky skin," "sweet childs' face," etc.) right?
  8. RT_Panther

    RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

    May 4, 2011
    Aperture, shutter speed, sequential, white balance.....
  9. dougjgreen

    dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

    Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    On my G5 I have one set of custom button settings that I use all the time (I nearly always shoot with Aperture priority):

    I've set F1 to Depth of Field preview

    I've set F2 to turn the electronic shutter on/off (I try to use the electronic shutter as often as possible, because I find that the G5 is prone to shutter shock). Judging from the early reviews and the erratic reporting of the effectiveness of the IBIS, I actually suspect that the GX7 may be as well.

    I've set F3 to toggle the Image stabilization on/off

    I've set F4 (an LCD button, not physical) to toggle the metering mode

    I've set F5 (an LCD button, not physical) to toggle the histogram on/off

    I've set the function lever near the shutter release to kick in Exposure Compensation

    To my mind, having alternate sets of custom settings would generally be pretty confusing, unless say, one was for video and one was for stills, or perhaps one was for landscapes and one was for shooting people. But in general, I prefer one customized control layout on my camera.
  10. LowriderS10

    LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

    May 19, 2013
    On my 5D Mark II I used:

    M for normal Manual
    C1 for inside shots (high ISO, open aperture, low shutter speed)
    C2 for short long exposures, ie waterfalls during the day (low ISO, medium aperture, 2 sec shutter, timer delay, mirror lock up)
    C3 for long long exposures, ie city at night (low ISO, medium aperture, 30 sec shutter, timer delay, mirror lock up, long exposure noise reduction).
  11. BillW

    BillW Mu-43 Regular

    Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    i have one set up for b&w and the other for sepia.
  12. Jermonic

    Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

    Jan 14, 2012
    My C1 is set up for flash photography (The Fn buttons in this mode is set to adjust flash power and settings)