How do you turn Mega OIS off?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thomastaesu, May 11, 2013.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Just got P14-42mm and there is no switch to turn its IS off. Will it affect images taken on an EM5?

Should I turn the IBIS off?

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    According to Panasonic, the OIS won't work on a non-Panasonic body. If you turn IBIS off, you will have no stabilization.

Some say you can have both on at the same time, but the Panasonic lenses I have work fine on my E-M5 and they are the Panasonic lenses without a stabilizer switch. I too looked in the E-M5 for an option as to which to use.

I think Panasonic's words in the lens manual are the most relevant: OIS is disabled on non-Panasonic bodies.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's no longer correct. OIS cannot be enabled on the E-M5 and older Olympus bodies, but any of the newer bodies, it is supported.

In the case of the E-M5, it's no real loss, since the E-M5's in-body stabilization is quite good - better than the Panasonic 14-42's.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Quite right! Now that I remember it, my short lived E-PL5 had that ability.

5. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Now...the both of you have me confused a bit.:smile:

I have a Pen E-PL5 and the Panny 45-150 OIS with no on/off switch.
    Do I have to keep the IBIS on and will the lens OIS have no effect or should I put IBIS off and will the OIS of the lens do it's work ?
    Please explain.:confused:

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you want any stabilization, S-IS must be enabled. Depending on whether you have 'Lens I.S. priority' set (see the gears menu, section C), the camera will either use the IS in the lens, or the IS in the body. I believe the default is 'off' (meaning it uses IBIS).

7. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks, now it's clear to me.:wink: