How do you think this picture taken

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PantelisMor, Jun 9, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013

I see a lot f pictures i. 500px. They are amazing.... I like a lot this

How do you think this picture taken ; has it been used flash or image edit ;;

Thx a lot
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Looks like a gold reflector was used and this was shot wide open using the huge (and difficult) 85mm 1.2. Shot in the early evening. Pretty classic lighting.

A lot of the main subject on that photo is actually out of focus... some might say it's "romantically out of focus".
    I've seen his portraits before... his style always has a soft, dreamy quality to them.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    The EXIF says it's shot at f/16.
    If that's true then the blurr would be fake.
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The EXIF I see shows it was shot at f/1.2 and ISO 200.
  5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    If you ask me, it's a take on the long focal lens, ultra shallow multi image panorama technique a wedding photographer did (bernizer sp??). Ends up with ultrawide fl with sub 1.0 aperture in the end. Exif is meaningless in these photos. Its a stack of many images.
  6. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    It's a beautiful image. I love the expression on the little girls face. The colours and lighting are beautiful too.
    If you like the lighting that he uses you will probably love Elena Shumilova's work too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm not sure he's using Brenizer technique. He wouldn't be able to capture the falling dirt since it's a multi stitched shot... This looks like a single shot take.

As a portrait shooter I can say this is not as difficult to achieve as some believe. Obviously he is shooting with a fast lens 85/1.2, but the important part to look at is the background. He's choosing his backgrounds carefully, most of these portraits are done in a very open environment (field, road, etc). This really clears up the background and creates an illusion of extra blur/bokeh. I use this trick sometimes too (I'm not saying you can achieve this look on m4/3, but it works on different levels with each format).
  8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Earlier I had a lot off my cellphone, now on the computer the blurring is definitely not lens boken in that pay dirt still. Extremely abrupt lower left hand corner straight line blurring finish. Similar setup in Nebraksa Boy photo and Contrast.

Id say he uses multiple blur layers in PS. Increases Saturation and decreases clarity a bit and then split the prefocus and backfocus to muted tones and applies blur.. Overall, I find the effect pretty harsh when compared t Elena approach and others but he has a nice eye for composition and light.
  9. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Look HERE and see that the sharpness of the horizon is vastly different on a related shot with the same indicated lens and aperture.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    You might be right I did not examine the photo very closely, however with large aperture lenses the DOF can be quite abrupt. In either case I'm not a huge fan of this 'extreme isolation' look, just not my cup of tea. A lot of people love this look though.
  11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I also feel the background bokeh is fake. It certainly looks fake. The give away is that there is no fall off to the bokeh. 3 inches behind the subject is just as blurry as 3 miles. You can make out the horizon but not the stones 6 inches behind the subject.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Macro lens! The kids are only an inch tall!:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 2
  13. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I have seen photos from her.. Really pictures ara amazing....... I love them all. Colours, dresses, all are amazing... I am envy.....
  14. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    yep, its the immediate-background that gives it away. we know that the zone of focus is not symmetric around the plane (the children)...
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I think you might be misreading the Exif data, or something, because I also see it say f 16 is used when I look at the exif data. I see this :

Filename - 2048.jpg
    ImageWidth - 3797
    ImageLength - 2878
    BitsPerSample - 16 16 16
    Compression - 1 (None)
    PhotometricInterpretation - 2
    Make - Canon
    Model - Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Orientation - Top left
    SamplesPerPixel - 3
    XResolution - 300
    YResolution - 300
    PlanarConfiguration - 1
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    Software - Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
    DateTime - 2014:03:10 21:12:27
    ExifOffset - 308
    ExposureTime - 1/1000 seconds
    FNumber - 16
    ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
    ISOSpeedRatings - 200
    ExifVersion - 0230
    DateTimeOriginal - 2013:10:19 18:18:55
    DateTimeDigitized - 2013:10:19 18:18:55
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/1000 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 16.00
    ExposureBiasValue - -2.33
    MaxApertureValue - F 1.24
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 85 mm
    SubsecTimeOriginal - 15
    ColorSpace - sRGB
    ExifImageWidth - 3797
    ExifImageHeight - 2878
    FocalPlaneXResolution - 1600.00
    FocalPlaneYResolution - 1600.00
    FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Centimeter
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Auto
    White Balance - Manual
    SceneCaptureType - Standard

So yes based on the exposure settings and it looks like it was sunny out. Time stamp indicates it was taken close to sunset, it looks like (what are those kids doing out still.. its dinner time ? lol :tongue:).
    I am almost certain it's heavily shopped for that effect we see.
    A naturally thin DOF would have the OOFA gradually get blurrier going away from the area in focus.
    I personally don't like it , but some might and I guess do.

lol :laugh1: that's a good one
    • Like Like x 1
  16. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: