How do you store your gear?

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
A problem some of you fellow GAS patients may be be familiar with - way too much gear, lenses and accessories. While I am preparing for cutting down a bit, I am also wondering how to best store my gear. I currently have some things in a drawer in a padded case insert like this one, but I need either a second one or something that uses space more efficiently. What are your solutions?

Stefan

dogs100

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Geoff
.. as above with the addition of 'lots of' in front of the drawer comment.

Real Name
John
My girlfriend bought this for my birthday last year. It holds quite a lot of lenses, cameras, binoculars, etc.
I have over 55 lenses plus other stuff in it.
electronic automatic digital control dry box cabinet storage
Amazon.com : 102L electronic automatic digital control dry box cabinet storage for DSLR camera lens : Photo Storage Boxes : Camera & Photo
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
I have a large Ikea Kallax unit which holds my cameras, lenses and all sorts of random bits. I have a coat rack for camera bags - yes, I have a problem with camera bags. I have yet to find a storage solution for large light modifiers, they are slowly taking over the garage.

Real Name
Rob
I have about 5 different camera bags, with gear stored in them fairly randomly. So when I want something I have to empty several bags to find it. Don't copy my system, it doesn't work very well...

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
I have about 5 different camera bags, with gear stored in them fairly randomly. So when I want something I have to empty several bags to find it. Don't copy my system, it doesn't work very well...
Same. Sadly, the bags take up more space than the actual gear.

One bag for massive trips, one for specialty work, one for just putting around town. I managed to at least give one bag and some gear away to my sister-in-law, and she protested but I insisted she was doing me a favour by taking the stuff.

mannukiddo

Mu-43 Veteran
In hot humid Mumbai,India, everything goes into a 100 Liter dehumidifying cabinet to protect against almost 100 humidity during the monsoon.

Last edited:
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I got an Ikea "Billy" bookshelf, with the additional glass doors and shelves. Then I mounted a couple halogen under-cabinet lights inside. I used some foam tape to make the top and bottom of the doors a fairly decent seal, to help control humidity and dust. Then I got every little packet of silica gel that ever came out of any consumer product I've ever bought, and put them all in there.

No signs of any humidity damage, although more house dust gets in there than I'd like...

Total cost: about $150.

Previous to this, I stuffed everything into various camera bags, and was frustrated that I could never find what I wanted. Now, it's all visible.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

apicius9

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some interesting ideas, thanks! I keep them padded in the drawer because I don't want them to bang against each other whenever I open the drawer, but I may be babying them a bit too much. And they get too dusty too quickly in an open shelf. But I do like the tool box idea, also because I can lock them in there, will have to look into that. If they add up to the price of a humidity controlled cabinet, I may save up for that. Philly is not Mumbai, but it can get a bit muggy in the summer... Oh, and the glass cabinet would be the financially reasonable solution, and I would get away with a smaller one :)

Stefan

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some interesting ideas, thanks! I keep them padded in the drawer because I don't want them to bang against each other whenever I open the drawer, but I may be babying them a bit too much. And they get too dusty too quickly in an open shelf. But I do like the tool box idea, also because I can lock them in there, will have to look into that. If they add up to the price of a humidity controlled cabinet, I may save up for that. Philly is not Mumbai, but it can get a bit muggy in the summer... Oh, and the glass cabinet would be the financially reasonable solution, and I would get away with a smaller one :)

Stefan
I like padding in the draws as well. At the prices of the pro Mu-43 lenses a bit a padding for insurance is not overkill in my books.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Wow you guys have either too much gear or are far too organised.... took me a week to find a filter adapter in my office.
Luckily I live were humidity is not really an issue but when I retire to the tropics one of those cabinets will be on order
Currently spare gear just ends up on a shelf in a built in wardrobe

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a closet that has been fitted with shelves.

All my gear fits on two shelves. Everything just sits loose on the shelves.

Top shelf is both cameras (E-M10 and Fuji X10), all lenses (with hoods attached) in pouches, three flash units, TTL cord. Second shelf has my system bag, a camera-only pouch, filters (in wallets), spare batteries, chargers and other small accessories.

slclick

Mu-43 Regular
Pelican cases. A 1510 for all the bodies and glass and an im2200 for Macro gear. I keep currently using setups in a small cabinet attached to my desk with a desiccant.

mannukiddo

Mu-43 Veteran
Wow you guys have either too much gear or are far too organised.... took me a week to find a filter adapter in my office.
Luckily I live were humidity is not really an issue but when I retire to the tropics one of those cabinets will be on order
Currently spare gear just ends up on a shelf in a built in wardrobe
This is more of necessity as compared to being organized, at least for where I live. I have had a lot heart ache and lot of money spent on cleaning lenses that this was the last resort for me. Monsoon and Humidity of Indians coastal cities makes this a must have.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom