1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you store your gear at home?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, May 28, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    When NOT on the move, how are people storing their gear? I'm thinking of an F2 bag, but was wondering what others are doing. Hard case? Bag? Storage drawers? Out on a table? Something else?

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I just use old gadget bags that are too big for my tiny lenses :)

3. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    In their travel bags or cases, my own gear are in A&A, Think Tank and Lowe Pro soft bags,ready for travel. My work gear Some Canons in Pelican cases, Medium format and some Canon are in Think Tank carry-on roller bags, extra lenses, grip and lights are in either Liteware or Tenba air apcking cases.

4. SeveNx7

SeveNx7 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    SeveN
    I have my stuff in padded bags (invade camera bag that just sits in a closet) but am building a shelf with doors that I can put my stuff in. Sort of display and protection. All in one.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just leave it all out on a shelf and make sure the air in that room is clean and relatively dry year round.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    On a shelf in a cabinet in the computer room. It has door so the rest bunnies and dog hair keep away and it's my computer room/office so I'm more obsessive about keeping it clean.

7. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    I have an old, wooden bookcase from a school: in the top (glazed) part, I keep books. In the large under-section, my camera equipment. It shelved internally with unvarnished wooden shelves and is made of cedarwood, which keeps moths and insects away and it is in my back-room/workshop, which is heated but not as much as the rest of the house, so the lenses stay cool and dry.

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I keep my camera and 3 lenses and several accessories in a Samsonite laptop bag. I don't pad the lenses or camera, arranged well they are not going to come to harm. They are snug in there and won't move about when the bag is worn (which it has been much with everything inside).

9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I Hide It All

I've got my entire kit organized in a large Lowepro shoulder bag with large silica gel packs. Then I throw the bag in a closet with several other empty unused camera bags I've collected over the years. I figure if the thieves grab a bag or two off the top and get nada they won't take the time to dig down to the goodies. :biggrin:

If I'm going out to shoot I just grab a camera and maybe an extra lens in a Thinktank lens pouch and my extra battery and I'm off. Or if really getting serious I will wear my Thinktank belt and harness with everything I want to hang off it. :thumbup:

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Lots of folks mentioned cool and dry or talk about silica. Do lenses have issues with just regular home humidity? (i keep my stuff in my downstairs office, which is conditioned the sane as most of the living space)

If so, then I'll get some silicon and/or move it up into the bedroom, which is more often air conditioned.

11. In my shooting bag, Billingham Hadley Pro. But you already knew that....:wink:

When I'm traveling and leaving stuff behind, it goes in a solid wooden trunk, with gel bags.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I keep the vast majority of it in whatever my "bigger" bag is at the moment - these days the Tamrac Rally 5. I still have a few lenses and accessories sitting about, generally on the shelves in my den/office area. But the main stuff is in the bag. So if I want to go out for a full day of shooting with the whole kit available, I just take the bag. If I want to just take a single camera and an extra lens or two, I grab my "smaller" bag of the moment - currently a Domke F8 and put what I want in that. The room I keep it in is kept in the same temperature/humidity range as the rest of the house. I've never taken any special precautions with the gear in terms - it lives there with us...

-Ray

13. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    Domke J1 Journalist Bag

14. Hacker

Hacker Mu-43 Rookie

May 25, 2012
    Cyberspace
    The Leica stuff go into a dry cabinet which is placed In a dehumidified room. The Nikon stuff are mostly in Think Tank Photo bags in the same room. M43 are in a dry cabinet next to my bed.

PS: I live in a tropical climate and fungus on lenses are a real problem.

15. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The 3 E-Px bodies are on "standby" on a bookshelf in our living room, each mounted with the 38 Zuiko 1.8, Oly 17 and Oly 45, respectively. Assorted ready-to-use primes (Panny 20 and 14; Oly Zuiko 70 F2) are in the shelf above. Large tele lenses and zooms go into my Timbuktu Crumpler in the same room. Film gear and less-often used MF legacy lenses in a cabinet, also in the living room, with the exception of a few vintage bodies that are on display as a collection in the same bookshelf as the digital Pens.

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I dump whatever bag they're in on the floor when I walk in the door.

Gordon

17. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I keep my equipment on a shelf in my home office (a tiny room of approx. 5 square meters). The room is air conditioned and I have never had any problems.

18. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    IKEA plastic storage boxes of various sizes. Translucent with air-tight snap lids.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    In the lined drawer above my socks and undies. I used to keep it all in a Domke F2, but with ยต4/3 gear, I now have two systems and not enough room in one bag.

The cameras are all hanging off shelving in my home office.

Gary

20. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    A stack of clear plastic storage boxes with snap-on lids. Each about 12" x 8" x 6" high. A buck or two apiece from Target. Lenses in heavy boot socks cut off and sewn into pouches, a dollar or two a pair at Walmart.