1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you store filters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DanS, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I've been acquiring filters lately, but I haven't really seen any storage/organization solutions on the market that I like. Most of the commercially available organizers are soft pouch systems, and that seems inadequate to me, considering you could easily have $200+ in a handful of good filters.

How do you store/protect your filters?

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    In a box in the closet. Leftover from film days. Don't use them anymore since software and better lenses...

3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    No matter how good the software and lenses are some things still require a good filter. For example, ND filters are very useful for long exposures and video!

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I use some generic-branded, fold-out pouches to store my screw-in filters (I have one pouch for my 3, 6, 10 stop NDs, one pouch for my CPLs, and one pouch for my variable NDs). I also have a Haida filter "bag" that I use to store my slot-in filters, along with the filter holder which I use on my 12-60 SWD and 7-14 PRO.

They're all padded, so I'm really not concerned about them. I easily have over $500 worth of filters, and never worry about them. And yes, you're right that filters like NDs and CPLs can't have their effects replicated in software, and are very useful to this day.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    True enough although not my type of photography. Occasional polarizer is the only one I keep handy and I can't remember the last time I mucked up a photo by using the pol. :).

6. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    In a dark and damp place so they don't loose their potency.
    (Or was that the philters?) ;)

/Bosse

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I keep mine between metal stack caps.

Regards

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I stack them and put two lens caps on them (one on the front, one on the rear). The caps I use are either screw on metal ones or Schneider ones (used for large format lenses, they go around the filter rather than clipping on the inside).

filtercaps.
    Excuse the dust and scratches, they're for illustration purposes to show that these have been used.

The main downside is the stack can get pretty thick, however if you're using a padded pouch which folds over that happens anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I use the mind shift pouches to hold my square filters.

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    A previous thread on this very thing earlier this year...
    Storage of filters

11. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I like this solution, as it seems like it would really protect the filters, while still being relatively small.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I use compact flash case for 37mm CPL filter. Just cut off internal dividers.
    Stack caps for 58mm.
    Individual soft cases for 95mm.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1