1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you shooti with you e-m5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Idreamphoto, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Hi,
    Tell me how to shot with your e-m5?
    I have the camera for 2 weeks now and had many opportunities to shoot on street. I am coming for aps-c Canon dslr and love the e-m5. However I am really suffering from the ergonomy of the camera. My hands are not big but didn't really find yet the best position of my hands on the camera.

And on your side, how do you shoot? evf or from the touch-screen? In front of you or from the hip?
    Currently, I trigger the shutter 90% from touch screen from the hip and 10% with evf.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I use it the same way I handled similar sized film SLRs 10 years ago.

But you may want to take a trip down to the store and try an E-M5 with just the landscape grip attahed (you can't just buy the landscape grip, but since it's a two part grip you have the option of only using one part).

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I really think that handling the EM-5 is matter of individual tastes. Being very old school, I much prefer the EVF, even for street stuff it's the EVF. For me, hip shooting isn't challenging enough or as effective as using the EVF. Most other 'street' photogs shoot from the hip and many shoot from the stomach. Just a matter of style and personal preference.

If you really like street, then try 'stealth', try shooting from the hip and the stomach. Not just on a hit and miss basis. Work it until you get high on the learning curve, until you are somewhat proficient then decide what works for you.

After proficiency, you'll be able to use what style/tool best fits the situation.

For me 'Streets' is a mental challenge ... I've even shot 'streets' with a medium format camera.

Gary

A few Street snaps from the '70's

• Like Like x 1
  4. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Those '70s shots are great - really love the one of the cop.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Mostly EVF, and don't try operating the rear control dial with your thumb - I use my index finger for both dials and the shutter release, leaving the thumb resting firmly on the rear rest.

When I shoot from the hip I either shoot with the touchscreen flipped out, or 'blind' if I'm being stealthy. Tend to hold the camera oddly for that, index and thumb around the lens/zoom ring and simply squeeze the shutter release with my palm. Works fine.

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    How I shoot with my OM-D EM-5? By any means necessary :)

Most of the times through EVF or LCD and push the shutter button
    the others through touch shutter.

I change the settings using index finger and thumb.

7. Razor777

Razor777 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Hampshire (UK)
    Mark
    I squint with one eye and say 'Arrrr' pirate style.

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks stonetape72. The good ol' days ... when men were men and cameras were film.

Gary

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just like the I have always used a camera.... viewfinder + shutter almost 90% of the time.

The remaining 10% is usually when its more comfortable to compose via the rear display:
    * Landscapes mounted on a tripod
    * High above head
    * Really down low.

The only time I really use the touch screen is for repositioning the focus point. I would use it more if 100% of the functionality was accessible via the touch screen.

10. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    I use the evf most of the time shooting in aperture priority or manual modes.

Fn-1 is set to magnify
    Fn-2 to AF point select
    Movie record button to ISO

Depending what mode I'm in I use the dials for aperture & shutter selection & exposure compensation.

I also use the dials to navigate af point selection as well as scrolling thru the menus when viewing in the evf.

I don't have the directional arrows set to anything though they can still be used to select AF points and moving thru the menus. When I had the arrows set to different functions I was always accidentally pressing them.

I find this setup works best for me. My hands tend to the large size I find the Fn-1 button particularly troublesome.

11. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    HI all,
    Very interesting feedbacks you gave me here.

- Yes, when I was saying from hip, it is also from stomach.
    - Currently, I mainly try to increase my skill when shooting from stomach with the screen flipped out (thanks @GaryAyala). Sometimes, I also want to switch to evf but actually I have switch the auto-switch sensor off because as per design it is not possible to use LCD to shoot if the sensor is active, it is shutting down the screen as soon as your finger is too close. i.e. 80% of the time, this is very annoying.

- @mattia, good idea to keep the thumb and use only index finger, I will try.
    - @Mikefellh, As soon as I have the opportunity to test the grip, I will try. But unless it gives me an extraordinary feeling, I am not going to buy it. I find the price really really expensive. Hopefully ebay sellers will one day make an aftermarket ones.