1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you set the IS using Panasonic lenses without IS switch on EM5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Halaking, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    It seems like some of new panasonic lenses do not have IS on/off switch, like the 12-32mm, 45-150mm and the new 35-100mm 4-5.6.

I wondering how to activate the OIS on these lenses on EM5? since the EM5 does not have "lens IS priority setting".
    I heard these panasonic lenses will have default OIS off on olympus body.

2. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I'm thinking get the GM1 with 12-32mm and the new 35-10mm 4-5.6, they don't have IS switch on lens, what IS options I have on EM5?

3. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Turn the IBIS on the EM5 off via the Super Control Panel

• Like Like x 2
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    You don't need to with these lenses, nor is there any way that you can. I have the 12-32mm and I don't have any problems with the IS.

The 100-300 on the other hand that I used to have would give me double IS which over-compensated and caused blurring when I left the IS switch and IBIS on. The 12-32 doesn't do this and I assume the other lenses without switches have some sort of firmware that tells the camera to disable IBIS or lens IS.

The EM5 IBIS is extremely effective so if its a matter of preferring IOS, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for the reply!

Love this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    You go into the menu system and activate "lens priority IS." That way, when you turn IS on via SCP, the IBIS stays off and the lens IS is used. And I know it works because I have a PM2 which has garbage IBIS. If it were using that I would definitely be able to tell because the photos would be a blurry mess! :frown:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for the info!

The problem is EM5 doesn't have lens priority IS, but EMP2, EPL5, EM10 and EM1 they all do, maybe is time to upgrade.:rolleyes:

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    What if you're using the lens on a tripod? Is there a setting to eliminate both IBIS and lens IS?

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    EDIT: Sorry, I read your question wrong and my answer was incorrect. No way to delete my response...my apologies!

Although I'm fairly certain that most modern lenses know when they're on a tripod and act accordingly, so it shouldn't be a problem...

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's right. You can't enable OIS on these lenses on the E-M5. Only the bodies that came after the E-M5 have this option.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Does that mean that the E-M5 completely ignores the OIS and just keeps on using IBIS as if it had a non-stabilized lens attached?

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Precisely. They don't communicate the information, so the body can neither enable OIS on the lens, nor can it detect whether it is active or not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome, thanks. That's exactly how I would have set it up if there was an option for it, so it works for me! :D

14. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I have received a panny's 45-150 lens without OIS switch, now I can confirmed OIS is not working all time on EM5, the only IS option I have is EM5's IBIS, or turn off IBIS on EM5, then no IS at all.

• Like Like x 1