1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you protect your gear from vibrations?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Klorenzo, May 9, 2016.

1. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What are your tricks to protect your stuff when traveling, in particular offroad, on car, motorbike, bike, etc.?

Preferably something on the light weight side. I suppose the best to dump vibrations is some foam like the one found in the pelican cases. Any alternatives?

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    When I'm on the motorcycle I have my camera gear in a padded backpack and my body helps to damp vibrations from the bike and road. Once in a while I'll put a padded camera bag in a topcase or pannier and have not experienced any issues.

3. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    On my motorbike I use no special precautions; camera and lenses are in a normal soft shell photo-bag (a very old, 1cm padded Canon bag). That bag goes into my tank bag. I have been transporting my E-M5 for 4 years like that now, with no problems. Just make sure nothing can rub against other hard objects (no two lenses rattling against each other for example). When I bought the E-M5, I was a bit concerned about that, by now I am fully confident normal vibrations will not harm my gear. No serious off-road work though; just tarmac and the occasional gravel road. And speed-bumps.

4. Tsky

Tsky New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2015
    Tank bag and normal camera bag. Might stick a cloth or something soft under if I know it's gonna be a rough off-road ride but don't bother with that at all on pure road trips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I keep my gear in a padded ThinkTank MM 30i. This bag is often dropped into an L.L. Bean padded messenger bag that lets me haul my camera and lenses plus files, documents and notepads together. I've never been particularly concerned about vibration issues because I can't do much about it when getting from point A to point B in a hurry. I've never noticed a vibration induced issue with either film or digital camera equipment in more than 40 years.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Thanks for your answers. I usually keep the camera in a small tank bag that has no padding. So I usually put some bubble wrap on the bottom to protect the camera but I think is not the best thing for vibrations. I did this for years with different cameras with no problems, still I feel I should find something better.
    Other lenses are in neoprene pouches inside a backpack or a bag fixed on the tail of the bike (I do not like to drive with a backpack on, I feel tied, my back sweats more and I think it is not safe in case I fall especially if it contains hard metal parts).

My worries are not about commuting or a day long ride but about weeks long travels. The shutter on the E-M10 died (stuck closed) a few weeks after I come back so I made this connection even if this is a problem a few other users are experiencing here.

7. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus

That is exactly why I do not want IBIS. If expecting vibration a Panasonic body without IBIS and a lens without IOS is used.

A lens with OIS can easily be replaced and if a lens fails during a shoot then another lens can quickly be put into service. (end rant - I hate IBIS: it is fundamentally a wrong design since it does not lead to robustness)

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On the whole my lenses are more expensive than my bodies, so actually my bodies are easier to replace...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    But I like the Panasonic 14-42 II and they are NZD 149 at Harvey Norman at the moment...

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

In that case it makes sense, but a 12-40 f/2.8 is a different story.

11. kajunito

kajunito Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Luis
    Non padded bagpack or men purse inside the top case. Never had any problems