1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How do you process image for newer flatscreen TVs?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Cornelius, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    I want to view my images on a 40" HD Flatscreen TV. It's a couple year old Samsung 40". The jpegs I rendered look like crap on it. They are VERY grainy and look awful.
    Funny thing is that on an older model 720p HDTV, the images look fine with correct tonal representation. This older model can also be used as a PC screen.
    Is it because one is LED and the other LCD? That is, I think it maybe LED.
    I rendered original camera resolution from its highest settin (EM5 MKII) at 72dpi.
    What on earth am I doing wrong? I am at a loss and can't find a darn thing on the net.

Help!

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Try calibrating your TV. Most LCD/LEDs (they are practically the same, despite the different names) come out of the box with horrible contrast and saturation.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, you need to size them to match the screen size; the TV may use a poor scaling algorithm, which would explain why they look grainy.

I have a 1080p TV so everything that gets copied to the screensaver/slideshow on the HTPC is sized to 1080px high, and 1920px or less wide.

Other possibilities for graininess:
    a. the TV may have the sharpness set too high
    b. you may be too close

All modern TVs are LCD (except the Plasmas still being sold). LED only refers to the backlight (instead of florescent backlighting). The pixels are still LCD pixels.

re calibration: you might be able to find a good base set of settings for your TV at AVSforum.

4. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    This. They are probably being poorly scaled by whatever app is being used to view the pictures, maybe even into a different aspect ratio.

If it is a 1080p TV then set the resolution as recommended above 1920x1080. If it is 720p than you will need to do a little research on your TV or post the model number. Unfortunately, there are a bunch of different resolutions all sold as "720p"

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    As others have said:

1- Resolution. You need to downsize the image to match the screen resolution.

2- Sharpness setting. In the TV's setting menu try setting Sharpness to 0. Sharpness tends to add halos to edges and make things look less sharp. Setting it to 0 can also help with the image quality when you're watching TV.

3- Calibration. As Vin said, "Most LCD/LEDs (they are practically the same, despite the different names) come out of the box with horrible contrast and saturation". You can get a test disc and spend a bit of time using the patterns on the disc to calibrate the TV so that colours and contrast are more accurate but you probably have a variety of picture settings available in the TV's settings menu for things like "normal" and "vivid" and "sports" and so on. There is usually a setting called "cinema" or something like that, intended for use with movies, which tends to be more accurate than the other settings. Try the different settings and pick the one which looks most accurate to you.

4- TV Contrast and Brightness settings. The names of these settings probably do not mean what you think they mean. "Contrast" controls the white point, the brightest white the screen can display while "Brightness" controls the black point, the darkest black the screen can display. By adjusting both you can adjust what we think of as "contrast" in a photo image. I'd suggest setting the colour first (previous point) and then tweaking these 2 setting to get decent looking highlight and shadow gradation.

6. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Ok, thanks all. Sounds like my older crappier 720p tv is able to down sample and process the jpg file correctly whereas the brand new TVs can't. Hope I can get it to work.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    What does this line mean (what exactly are you doing)? For viewing on a TV, it doesn't matter what the dpi setting is. So I have to wonder if you are accidentally scaling your shots down to low resolution and that lower resolution doesn't look at that bad on a 720p TV but went upscaled (I assume your newer model is 1080p?) now you can see the upscaling issue?