1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you number your shots?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Apr 7, 2014.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm curious if anyone has experimented with the image file naming scheme on the e-m1

I'd like an image name that indicates essentially the shutter actuation value

The default setup has the month and year code
    and a sequence number

I've changed the default to resume the same sequence number after a card is formatted

I suppose this should be fine because it's unlikely that I will shoot 10,000 frames in a single month and have the sequence reset and presumably roll over to start at 1 again

So anyhow if I remove the month code, will the sequence number use the 2 free digits now available?

If I want to start the sequence at a certain value - will copying or renaming an image on the card effectively reset the counter? The recent service I did reset the counter to zero ( the image file label)

Hope this is clear enough

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I rely on LR to rename the file upon ingestion. My naming scheme is <date> <shoot name> <image file name>. I have the camera set to not reset the sequence number on format. I'd have to shoot 10,000 images on one camera on one day to have a conflict.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I only change the first character so I know what camera the image came from (and so I won't have two filenames the same).

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Import into LR renames files

yyyy-mm-dd-hh-ss
    Then tag images

yyyy-mm-dd-hh-ss-xxxx
    xxxx could be initials name etc... Not always 4 spaces ? for weddings or instead of a name initials or client name
    This way also taking in and out images don't have to rename and still stays in order