How do you number your shots?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Apr 7, 2014.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm curious if anyone has experimented with the image file naming scheme on the e-m1

I'd like an image name that indicates essentially the shutter actuation value

The default setup has the month and year code
    and a sequence number

I've changed the default to resume the same sequence number after a card is formatted

I suppose this should be fine because it's unlikely that I will shoot 10,000 frames in a single month and have the sequence reset and presumably roll over to start at 1 again

So anyhow if I remove the month code, will the sequence number use the 2 free digits now available?

If I want to start the sequence at a certain value - will copying or renaming an image on the card effectively reset the counter? The recent service I did reset the counter to zero ( the image file label)

Hope this is clear enough

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    I rely on LR to rename the file upon ingestion. My naming scheme is <date> <shoot name> <image file name>. I have the camera set to not reset the sequence number on format. I'd have to shoot 10,000 images on one camera on one day to have a conflict.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I only change the first character so I know what camera the image came from (and so I won't have two filenames the same).

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Import into LR renames files

yyyy-mm-dd-hh-ss
    Then tag images

yyyy-mm-dd-hh-ss-xxxx
    xxxx could be initials name etc... Not always 4 spaces ? for weddings or instead of a name initials or client name
    This way also taking in and out images don't have to rename and still stays in order

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.