How do you name your SD cards?

ThorEgil

Mu-43 Regular
Numbered 1 - n with a permanent marker and used round robin to avoid writing over anything before I have a backup.

This is probably a stupid question... but I've been through the manual and can't put my finger on where to set my Em1.2 so that the Raw files go to the faster slot 1 and the Jpg go to the slower slot 2. Help gratefully accepted!

I got to where it identifies the slots but it doesn't have an option for RAW, JPG or Video for those slots. I know I've seen it somewhere before but as this is the first time shooting Raw + Jpg and also first time using the 2nd card slot I obviously didn't remember where that options could be set.
@pondball

I don't think that anyone answered your question. If they did, then disregard this, but if not, here's how you do it.

In Menu, go to "Shooting Menu 1"
Pick the third option which is the icon of a camera followed by a sideways umbrella and choose that one.

You can figure out the rest. I chose RAW for slot 1 and LSF (Large Super Fine) for slot 2

Don

My LR import preset includes the camera name and yearmonthday preceding the file number so I’ll never have duplicate file names.

I just got back from a two week trip with my EM1 MKII - I used one slot for RAW and one JPEG (if I’d had only one card slot I’d have shot RAW + JPEG). The RAW slot has a little green sticker dot and JPEG red. My SD cards were half red half green with numbers on the dot. I don’t edit much while traveling but (as I’m 8+ years into a 365 thing) I post at least one shot a day - from the JPEG card. I changed cards about every three days - just in case of an issue.

I also got the WD wireless external drive with the SD card integrated. Every night I copied from the card to the drive - actually I just turned it on and inserted the card. This was so much easier than what I’d done in the past. I would highly recommend this drive.

The hardest part was the time it took to upload the RAW files when I got home.

@pondball

I don't think that anyone answered your question. If they did, then disregard this, but if not, here's how you do it.

In Menu, go to "Shooting Menu 1"
Pick the third option which is the icon of a camera followed by a sideways umbrella and choose that one.

You can figure out the rest. I chose RAW for slot 1 and LSF (Large Super Fine) for slot 2

Don
You can also do it via the Super Control Panel.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
No need to name the cards; it’s more important to label them externally so you can easily keep track of which you’ve used. Olympus will rename the card to unnamed whenever you format it anyway. I label them 1, 2, etc. But anything you can fit on the card label works.

I set a prefix for each camera to distinguish the file names and make any image name conflicts essentially impossible. AFAIK all cameras manage to avoid duplicating file names while shooting. Olympus does it be creating a new folder, I believe. They all get renamed when imported into LR: <capture date> <shoot name> <original file name>.

If you connect your cameras to oi.share, it will set the camera to the phone’s date and time. I’m not sure if other makers do the same.

Shooting raw+JPEG also lets you review the higher resolution JPEGs rather than the thumbnail embedded in the orf on the camera.

My LR import preset includes the camera name and yearmonthday preceding the file number so I’ll never have duplicate file names.

I just got back from a two week trip with my EM1 MKII - I used one slot for RAW and one JPEG (if I’d had only one card slot I’d have shot RAW + JPEG). The RAW slot has a little green sticker dot and JPEG red. My SD cards were half red half green with numbers on the dot. I don’t edit much while traveling but (as I’m 8+ years into a 365 thing) I post at least one shot a day - from the JPEG card. I changed cards about every three days - just in case of an issue.

I also got the WD wireless external drive with the SD card integrated. Every night I copied from the card to the drive - actually I just turned it on and inserted the card. This was so much easier than what I’d done in the past. I would highly recommend this drive.

The hardest part was the time it took to upload the RAW files when I got home.
Yup... that’s basically what I’m doing on the em1.2... Raw in slot 1, jpg in 2... and the WD wireless passport to copy the SD cards to every night. By shooting the jpg in the other slot I have instant (Oi.share) access to the photos I want to send this the kids and family back home... without any editing.. . They get my unedited, brilliant OOC shots 😂

On the em5.2 I’m also shooting raw +jpg and downloading what I assume is both versions to the WD passport, and again using Oi.Share for the odd jpg transfer.

I have to admit by not doing any searching through the raw files using FileBrowser (my previous method) and by not having to do any editing I have freed up, on average, over 1 hour per night... more time for 🍻 with new friends.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
+ Now that I have multiple Olympus cameras, the camera specific naming makes sense. Thanks guys.

- What has bugged me is that, I have not been able to figure out how to create a new folder, to separate pictures into logical groups.
I can easily do this on my Nikon.​
Example: freshman, JV, and Varsity games. And "pre game events" and the game.​
I have to import the images to the computer, then sort it out.
Without the ability to create a new folder, I shoot a blank frame (a mono color object) to create a "break mark" in the images to look for.

- I would also like the ability to "easily" reset the file numbers.
I have had it roll over in the middle of a shoot, which created the situation where the later pictures had a lower file number than the earlier pictures. :confused:
When I shoot an event, I would like it to start from 1.

Update - Olympus confirmed that #2 and 3 are currently not possible in the menu. I suggested that it be added in a future FW update.

Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
To create a new folder on SD card with Olympus:

MENU/<gear>/H1/Card Slot Settings/Assign Save Folder/Assign/(Existing or New Folder)/OK

In the same menu item, select Reset for file name to start at 0001. This assumes an empty card.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
To create a new folder on SD card with Olympus:

MENU/<gear>/H1/Card Slot Settings/Assign Save Folder/Assign/(Existing or New Folder)/OK

In the same menu item, select Reset for file name to start at 0001. This assumes an empty card.
Thanks, I found the new folder option on the EM1-mk2. :thumbup:
Now to use it enough to remember it.​
But not for the mk1 and the EM10-mk2. :(

Unfortunately, most of the time the card is not empty, so the auto reset won't work.
It has to be a forced reset, done after I change the folder name, so I don't overwrite any files.

Last edited:

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran

On a more serious note, i just rename everything in YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-UUID.raw format. The camera model, if it matters can be placed in the parent directory name. And if not needed can be pulled from the file metadata.

em1.2 with raw+jpg on slot1 (fast card), and video onto slot2 (fast enough card).

End of the day, pull the images off and store on computer, format card in camera, ready for the next day. Backup/sync computer files on a regular basis (depends on shooting habits).

I have a spare SD card in my bag, if something corrupts the active card. No need to label them, if it's not in the camera it's a spare. Carrying around a lot of cards is just making your life complex most of the time. If you are in a situation where you can't download to a bigger storage unit fast enough, then just number the cards (which is what I did years ago when cards were vastly more expensive in the larger sizes).

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman

On a more serious note, i just rename everything in YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS-UUID.raw format. The camera model, if it matters can be placed in the parent directory name. And if not needed can be pulled from the file metadata.

em1.2 with raw+jpg on slot1 (fast card), and video onto slot2 (fast enough card).

End of the day, pull the images off and store on computer, format card in camera, ready for the next day. Backup/sync computer files on a regular basis (depends on shooting habits).

I have a spare SD card in my bag, if something corrupts the active card. No need to label them, if it's not in the camera it's a spare. Carrying around a lot of cards is just making your life complex most of the time. If you are in a situation where you can't download to a bigger storage unit fast enough, then just number the cards (which is what I did years ago when cards were vastly more expensive in the larger sizes).
I don’t pay any attention to the labels if I’m out shooting for a day, or even a weekend, where I’m unlikely to come close to filling my 64G cards (that would be almost 4,000 20MP .orf files). While traveling on vacation fo several weeks I find it more important to keep track of the used and unused cards. That’s where external card labels and techniques like flipping the cards over in a storage case after use come into play. I never erase the cards until I’m home and they’re safe on my computer and all backed up.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom