How do you make your camera more discreet?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    My E-P5 had a bright red Aki Asahi skin and various brightly coloured half cases, which made the camera seem more fun, less confronting, less serious. My E-M5 was blue :biggrin: In my experience, the colour distracts folk from noticing that it's nice equipment.

My son has those cameras now, but I'm wondering how soon I should reskin the Pen F.

I had a friend who hid his old M3 in a waist pouch with a small hole for the lens and used a long cable release threaded under his shirt and out his sleeve cuff to take pictures in Nairobi - although he needed a weird pelvic thrust to aim the camera properly because the lens would keep slipping down.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Ken, I know I've replied to this post previously but your post has me thinking quite a bit about getting older and being on the street in general. I need to think about that aspect as you might have hit the core argument, or helped me get to my core argument which is adjusting to a challenging/changing rapidly environment on the street as a senior and pro-active steps I might need to consider taking. I need much more time to ponder these issues than a few days so I will consider all the responses I've received and may or may not get back to this thread soon.
    Thanks again to all!
    Bobby

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Why?

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    FWIW, one of those people I know is just under 70, albeit he has lived in NYC for almost 50 years. Good to be aware of your circumstances, but dont let age be a sole driver of your decisions.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Why black tape, or bag? tape to cover shiny silver logos, which I don't like anyway. Bag - I am usually carrying anyway, so if I am not taking photos for a while it's more comfortable to have 1 strap around my neck instead of 2, and also less attention grabbing, especially if not in a very touristy area.

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think you are right to be concerned. I recall there were recently some attacks in the area that involved "kids" attacking people just for fun. Most victims were elderly.
    unfortunately, besides just being more vigilant, avoidance of some areas and some times of day may be best.

7. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I think it's a good idea. You may find you want to take a picture through a window. Covering your name-plate will prevent those nameplates from reflecting back into the shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Sounds very Rocky Horror . . .

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    You have visualised it accurately.:eek-31:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    Old diaper bags are good

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Sorry to be so OT but since reading your earlier post about refraining from watching news I have not been watching any news program for the last few weeks and I wanted to thank you for such valuable advice. I am feeling much better and more relaxed. Instead of watching news to help wake up I plunk myself down with hot, black coffee and watch my Weather channel and it has made a world of difference for the better. Yes, I'm not as well informed as I used to be, so I decided to watch the morning news show the other day to see what I've been missing. I watched about five minutes and all they were talking about was something about our next President attending a pee-pee party in Russia! I turned the channel immediately back to weather and I'm never going back (at least just watching the news in an emergency situation). I am also realizing that most of the news doesn't directly affect my lifestyle unlike the Weather channel which does always affect my lifestyle. I'm not saying hide your head in the ground like the cartoon ostriches do but to only check in the news when you need to, not out of habit. So I will scan the headline news available on the Internet and if need be watch TV news.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. aruba3h

aruba3h Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2012
    melbourne fl
    Ken
    information overload---we are becoming the robots we so feared back in the 60's and 70's. The follow the herd concept has people listening instead of thinking. Face to face dialog has given way to keyboard chatter. Luckily for me my son has learned to look people in the eye when in a conversation. The old saying lets watch the boob tube has become a frightening reality. The internet has it values---which are slim to next to none- it has become a source of misinformation it a great extent. Ad laden to no end. They call this progress------I wonder!!!
    Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    To continue being a little OT, the way we're being fed news these days is disgusting, it's brain numbing, insulting and scary. All journalism seems to be of the yellow variety these days, maybe that's why they liked the aforementioned pee-pee party so much.

Largely due to social media, everyone is so entrenched in their perception of what's going on in the world as they're being selectively fed what they want to hear by the algorithms of the popular sites that things have become frankly quite scary. And the media just panders to the dumpster fire instead of calling the fire department.

14. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I simply love this absurd blaming the media, for all of these social ills. Really? I quick dose of reality is in need here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sooooo...how 'bout them cameras...

I just picked up a brand new Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack for a fraction of what it should have cost...at first I was worried that because it's red/black, it would draw attention...but...everyone I showed it to said that they never would have guessed it's a camera bag. Partly because of its design, but partly because it's red/black, and therefore doesn't look as "serious" as an all-black bag.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If you don't think it's partially to blame, complicit at the very least, you don't know how society works.

I don't want to derail things, so I shan't post any more OT opinions! Sorry mods! ;)

17. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    I had this reaction once with a silver GX7, with the 20 mm pancake on it.

18. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    • Like Like x 2
  19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Quite honestly, use your phone for street photography! Nobody cares at all if you are holding a phone and you can even act like you are taking a selfie.

• Funny Funny x 1