How do you like your Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 lens?

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Amazing!

The 20mm is an amazing lens - small, fast and razor sharp!

I have heard some people complain that it does not have OIS - if you apply basic photographic skills rather than expect the camera to do it all, it does not require OIS.

I have just received my 14-45 today so up to now have only shot using the 20 and it has not let me down, it produces images that exceed my expectations and due to the size of the camera lens combo allows unobtrusive photography when required.

I have been searching for a Short 46mm metal screw in shade for it (Kood used to make them) but so far no luck but will keep looking - I am old school and believe in using a lens shade, especially when not using a UV filter to protect the front element - if anyone knows of a source for this hood, please let me know.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
As I said in the Lumix 20 image, this is the lens that "sold" me on :43:. Put differently, this was the lens that enabled me to feel good about selling my DSLRs.

When I think about the Lumix 20, my thoughts go to the system I connected with more than any other so far: an OM-2n with an OM 40/2 mounted. For the first time, I get the same feeling with the Lumix 20 on my G1/GH1.

I've always loved the 40mm angle of view. It's a normal lens that can function as a wide. Having spent a lot of time with a 40mm lens on a film camera, I know what framing to expect with the Lumix 20 before I even raise it to my eye or look at the LCD.

The next piece is the size. The Lumix 20 size put my G1/GH1 in a different size and feel category than my small SLR kit (Nikon D5000 and 35/1.8). I don't have a direct image comparison, but here are both cameras compared to a Sigma DP2:

3912166781_45b2a53e4f_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3912166853_28604303c1_o.jpg

Another piece is the speed: f/1.7 is fast enough to give me the low light capability and DOF control I want.

However, none of this would have worked if Panasonic hadn't nailed the optics, and they did nail them. I can shoot with confidence at f/1.7, knowing that my cameras will nail the focus and the pictures will be sharp. The bokeh is pleasing without harsh characteristics under usual circumstances. Color fringing has not been a problem. Colors are neutral. Barrel distortion is at a reasonable level. Flare, which is said to be a weakness of this lens, honestly hasn't troubled me. Build quality seems very good.

Focus speed is not at the level of the Panasonic kit zooms, slow by DSLR standards, but fast enough not to interfere with my photography. I would much prefer a mechanical focus ring and distance scale to the "focus-by wire" ring, but I know I'd use AF almost all the time anyway, so it isn't an issue for me.

Well done Panasonic :2thumbs:. My favorite lens for :43:.

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since getting the 20mm with my GF1 I haven't even bothered to think about adding on another lens yet. It's a fantastic lens! I'll maybe add something longer in the New Year but I really don't feel the need to at all.

Oh the joys of one good prime :)

nTo

Mu-43 Regular
lens protector filter

Dear Amin and All,

The 20mm lense is a superb lense! its quality exeeds my expectation...
Now, as it is a valuable asset of the GF1, i wonder if you know does it has a protector filter accesories? Can you tell me the spec?
Thank you very much!

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Love it, but wish it had IS and an orientation sensor (I think the GF1 relies on the orientation sensor being in the lens - correct me if I'm wrong?)

chylld

Mu-43 Regular
Does this lens give one the option of using a filter - such as a UV filter and if so which size filter? (Sounds like the handiest lens of all - and the image thread is proof.)

I think it just takes standard 52mm filters.

PowderDave

Mu-43 Rookie
20mm Panasonic on myEP-1

Got the 20/1.7 for christmas, from Santa. Really like the speed compared to the Olympus 17/2.8, makes indoor pictures much easier to capture first time with out flash.
As the EP-1 has image stabiliser its not a problem the lens not having it!
I also would be keen to find a lens hood.
Cheers.

tyampel

New to Mu-43
46mm metal lens hood

The 20mm is an amazing lens - small, fast and razor sharp!

I have heard some people complain that it does not have OIS - if you apply basic photographic skills rather than expect the camera to do it all, it does not require OIS.

I have just received my 14-45 today so up to now have only shot using the 20 and it has not let me down, it produces images that exceed my expectations and due to the size of the camera lens combo allows unobtrusive photography when required.

I have been searching for a Short 46mm metal screw in shade for it (Kood used to make them) but so far no luck but will keep looking - I am old school and believe in using a lens shade, especially when not using a UV filter to protect the front element - if anyone knows of a source for this hood, please let me know.

Try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/46mm-Metal-Vent...ItemQQptZLens_Accessories?hash=item2a0410cdb7

The 58mm plastic snap-on lens cap similar to one coming with the lens fits it perfectly. Enjoy.

bilzmale

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mine arrived a few hours ago and the few test shots I've taken have made me very happy. Will solve a lot of my low light problems I think. Is sharp and quick to focus and of course stabilised on the E-P2. Will spend a lot of time on the camera I suspect.

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
Mine is about a month old now, and it literally has not been taken off the camera since I bought it. After years of using mostly F3.5 - 4.0 zooms, it is a revelation to use an F1.7 lens again.

Antonio

coreyb

Mu-43 Rookie
holy crap. ups just dropped mine off and i immediately snapped some pics. this thing is fantastic. sharp and fast... i don't think it'll ever leave my epl1. definitely on par with the sharpness and quality of the canon primes i loved and hoped i wouldn't miss when switching from dslr to m4/3. instant love. if you don't have it, you need it.

Jonas B

I have mixed feelings about the G20/1.7. It is a great lens in many ways, no doubt. I like it but it sees little use (and I have owned it since it became available last year).

Maybe it is the humming AF, the plastic feeling, the sometimes working and sometimes not working auto enlarging function, the jumping aperture, the annoying incapability of the camera to show the enlarged view at working aperture causing a little delay (so it feels at least) - or all of that.

Or it is me, just liking to work slower and having control and so never really make friends with these everything automatic lenses.

In any event, there isn't much to complain about when it comes to image quality. It is not a perfect lens but pretty close. Some flare, some disturbing bokeh, but in most of the cases a stellar lens.

regards,

/Jonas

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am still carrying the GF1+20mm as my everyday camera and I am glad I do.
Today I stopped on my way home and took this picture with the 20mm, it is a true star in the pancake lens club and never lets me down when I need it.

Tree_and_barn.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom