How do you like your Panasonic Lumix 14-45mm lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i think this is one of the finest inexpensive zooms ever made , optically its better that olys 14-42 kit zoom and it more robust and solidly built as well , in fact i frequently use an a-28 olympus wide adapter made some years ago to widen a bridge camera from 35 mm to 28 mm , on the panny zoom at 14 mm it gives an approx 24mm fov [35mm equiv]
    and is sharp and contrasty right to the corners at 14 and just so so at 45 [ afocal legnth it was never intended for] , i got one used for about 20 bucks , its a nicely made hunk of glass that weighs about half a pound and probably was made to sell for $150 when new

dont try it on the oly 14-42 kit zoom , it isnt nearly robust enuf to acept it and the 49mm thread is just to great to adapt to the olympus zoom , its perfect on the panny zoom however with a 49 to 52 mm step ring , thats what ill be using for wide until tyhe 9-18 is released

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I agree with that assessment. The Lumix 14-45 is a terrific performer. Build quality is excellent, well above the level of other kit zooms I have tried. Compared to the Oly M.ZD 14-42, the Lumix is larger and heavier, but at 60mm long and 195 grams, it is still tiny and light for a standard zoom.

The image stabilization is effective. Autofocus is fast. Close focus offers near 1:3 reproduction, very useful for macro-type photography.

It isn't easy for me to imagine how they could have done much better with this lens.

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Waiting for mine to arrive

Great to see even more good feedback on this lens, I purchased my GF1 kit with the 20mm lens (what a superb lens it is) but wanted to subsidise the kit with the 14-45 so ordered one today for a good price.

Here in the UK, Nikon & Canon have already announced price rises and the retailers expect the others to follow very soon so best to buy it now - this is all due to the currency fluctuations and floundering pound and to top it all the Government is putting up the tax on 1 Jan!

5. Ranger9

Ranger9 Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    A while back, for one of my rare paying gigs, I was engaged to photograph about a dozen artworks for the member magazine of our local art museum. Since the works varied drastically in size (from about 6 inches to about 2 feet across) and since I had only a limited time to shoot them, I needed a setup that would minimize my need to move the camera and lights between shots.

I decided a zoom lens would be the only way to get the session done -- even though my past experience with zooms suggested that the most I could expect would be "good enough" quality.

I decided to use the Panasonic 14-45 (on a Pana G1) because I thought it might be a bit sharper and more contrasty than my only other option, the old Sigma 24-70/2.8 zoom I have for my Nikon D300.

As it turned out, the images really exceeded my expectations. Possibly thanks to Panasonic's software distortion correction, there was no linear distortion at all -- important since some of the works were very geometric -- and there was plenty of detail from corner to corner. One of the shots ran as the magazine's cover, and several others were used inside it and for various other displays and materials. [I've written up a related story about this session for my blog.]

I now think of the 14-45 as much more than just a "kit lens"!

• Like Like x 1
  6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    indeed its as sharp as my primes it seems [ but not as fast of course ]

i really love the lens , nice to hear its good for flat artwork, i use a flat field 105 micro nikkor on the ep1 to fotograph flat artwork, flat field is wonderful ... but often its too long! 210 equiv!!! i think ill give the panny a try for artwork under light too , when the need arises

7. bebrox

bebrox Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    I enjoy using this lens

I like to use this lens for Landscapes mostly, I agree that the compact build is excellent and it takes lovely sharp shots.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jesse

jesse Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Hong Kong
    The image quality is much better than my expectation, high resolution, light weight, I love it very much, if it is a f2.8 then should be perfect!

• Like Like x 1
  9. gravox

gravox New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I have found this to be a very fine lens at all focal lengths and apertures up to f8. It is particularly good at picking up fine details of skin texture even on casual hand held shots. No problems yet encountered although the zoom action is slightly sticky if moved slowly. The field of view for a given focal length, especially at 14 mm, appears to be a bit smaller than with other lens/camera combinations. I presume this is due to the automatic correction of distortion in ACR.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Good glass

I received my lens last week and even though I still use the 20mm more, the times I have used it have not dissapointed.
    It is a well made lens that produces sharp images.
    Here is one I took on a tripod of the Cloisters at Gloucester Cathedral.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. viztyger

viztyger Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Amsterdam-Diemen
    No Longer Own 14-45

The combination of my 20mm f/1.7 and the 7-14mm f/4 cover most of what I used the 14-45 for. I don't notice the gap between 14 and 20mm while having the advantage of focal lengths wider than 14mm.

To cover the longer focal lengths of my former 14-45, I can usually get a little closer to my subject with the 20mm pancake, with the added advantage of a much brighter starting aperture.

I do intend to get the Leica branded 45mm f/2.8 when it eventually becomes available around here. But that's another specialized lens which I won't necessarily have with me all the time. But when I do have it, it will cover the longer focal lengths of the 14-45.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Just ordered one 10 minutes ago.

Really looking forward to playing with this!!

13. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

I came home from work today and my 14-45 had arrived :smile:

I plan to get some time tomorrow to play!

One thing that struck me immediately was the build quality - it's solid - and the size. It's way smaller than I had thought having only seen it in photos.

14. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just off topic a little - price when bought seperately

IMHO it is (far) too expensive

I think that Panasonic have missed an opportunity here to pull more people in

The 18 55 Nikon VR DX f3.5/5.6 in almost "given away" with their e.g D90 - and if you buy it seperately it is only about £110 in the UK - it is a very good lens, especially for the money - a must have lens for walk abouts

I cannot comment on the performance of the pana 14 45, (I only got mine today), but isn't the price over twice that of the Nikon - much the same range, (I cannot do the maths, but 1.5 times and 2 times).

My point is that it is too expensive and if it were cheaper Panasonic would most likely sell more 4/3 lenses and tie people quicker into the concept.

They have two major marketing opportunities here - to pull guys up from P&S and to persuade DSLR guys to "give M4/3 a try".

• Like Like x 2
  15. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
    I like mine. It came with my G1 and I use it more than the long lens because it's faster and lighter. And generally takes more keepers than the 200.

16. kengan

kengan Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    S.Holland.Lincs.UK.
    A couple of my first shots...14-45

Due to needing hospital treatment, these are my first efforts outside. Not up to the quality of other users postings, but I'm quite pleased.

Have had some pp'ing, the 2nd had mild HDR treatment from RAW, the 1st just convert from RAW, Sat, Crop, & USM.

Couldn't resist this shot, the Man was totally engrossed with feeding his feathered friends.
    [​IMG]

The 'Stump'. Boston. Lincs. UK.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. bebrox

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Hi Kengan, did you HDR the 'Stump', if so what did you use, the only reason I ask is the glow in the outline of the building?

18. kengan

Jan 16, 2010
    S.Holland.Lincs.UK.
    Guilty as charged bebrox.:thumbup::sorry:

Software used "Zoner Photo Studio 11".

19. bebrox

Dec 29, 2009
    Scotland
    Hi kengan, no need to apologise, I like HDR work I purchased Dynamic-Photo HDR after spending time evaluating both this HDR program and Photomatix. I have not come across Zoner Photo Studio 11, have you any other work to showcase?

• Like Like x 2
  20. kengan

Jan 16, 2010
    S.Holland.Lincs.UK.
    Hi bebrox, have been using Zoner for a few years now, from around the early versions. The latest is V-12, which I have installed, but find V-11 easier to use at present. The HDRs are produced almost automatically in V11, from a single RAW file. The user can take control if required. (If not happy with the auto result).

Do I have any other work? Well as an amateur, with over 55 years experience, I can't say no! :smile: But all my recent images have been taken using a Panny FZ50, the G1 is a hopeful upgrade. Time may tell!

I've run full circle with cameras, 35mm Leicas, Nikon, Canons, 120 Rollei, 6x7 Mamiya, and can remember many days ending with shoulder muscles tired with the day long carrying of unused glass, with spare bodies, etc. Tripods, and Kitchen sink almost! :rolleyes:

Came to digis via Nikon CP950, Minolta A1 and A200, then FZ50, and now G1!

I do have a few images on PBase, see http://www.pbase.com/kentel

Cheers
    Ken.

• Like Like x 2