1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you like your Panasonic Lumix 14-140mm lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    Well, i like the box right now.:smile: I just bought it on my dinner time at work.
    I will try it on my Gf1 tonight and probably take pictures this week-end.

Salut!

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a great lens, Yves. I think you'll like it a lot! Show us some photographs soon :).

4. Yves D.

Yves D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Montréal, Canada
    First impression

Hi Amin,

The 14-140 on my Gf1 "looks" a bit bulky indeed but the combo "feels" good in my hands.
    Yes it "looks a bit strange on a small body like the Gf1. But the feeling and size is more like a small dslr. The lens and body feels very solid and well built. I like it a lot. Anyway i will have the 20 1.7 most of the time for everyday use and take the 14-140 for specific occasion like my son's soccer games.
    I also bought the Panasonic fl-36 flash unit. Did a few test shots last night and it is promising. Firsts shots looks good.

Have a nice day

• Like Like x 1
  5. HuubL

HuubL Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    I'm interested in getting the 14-140 as a walk-around and vacation lens for the GF1. Till now I lugged my Canon EOS 40D + 24-105 L (+ 10-22 EF-S) kit around the world, but I would happily replace it for the GF1 + 14-140 if that kit would deliver close to the EOS kit. I haven't anything to complain about the 20 1.7. That lens is simply awesome! May I expect the same of the 14-140?

6. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    handheld at 1/30 sec.
    i like the lens and use it on the g1.

4317438061_bfc61ac328_b.

7. HuubL

HuubL Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks Back Alley. Looks pretty good for sharpness, contrast and color. The lens is said to be specifically meant for video. Why is that? What makes it so much better for video? Is it the 10x zoom only? I would rather think the variable largest aperture is less optimal for video than for stills.
    Another question: Do I need an EVF on the GF1 with this lens?

8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The 14-140 has low mechanical noise so its not going to get into the sound of your Video via the front Mic.
    Is Ok on the GF1 just a little heavy but use your left hand for most support.
    The LCD is quite good really only when you get LCD glare is it a worry.

Cheap way out is the Hot shoe ClearView lens viewer addon ~$35 it give good detail for focus and helps with glare.

Else the exp. EVF

The lens tho' is great. :wink:

9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Mine arrived a few hours ago and am very happy with the few test shots I've taken. Two comments - it is a lot heavier than I expected (compared to the 45-200 for example) and is basically a two-hander. Secondly I found the zoom ring to be a lot stiffer than I expected. Is this normal and will it free up with time?

10. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I'm continually impressed with the image quality from this lens and it is becoming the walk-around lens on my GH1 (rarely used for video, but great still camera). It is heavy compared to the other Panasonic m4/3 lenses but still featherlight compared to the Canon 1Ds and big L-lenses I used to carry up hills and mountains!
    OIS is very good and I regularly handhold at 1/30sec zoomed out to 50mm or more. Optically it looks better at the wider end but I tend to stop down to f8 for most images unless I'm deliberately introducing a blurred background. This cuts out most issues.
    Prints at A3 are great and compare really well with images from the Canon L-series lenses I used until just recently... I've not compared at pixel level as I just don't care - they look great on the web and A3 prints which is what I need from the lens.

11. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I am very pleasantly surprised by this lens. Every superzoom I've used before has been pretty soft through most of the range and has had awful distortion at the wide end. The 14-140 has neither...it's plenty sharp up to about 100mm, and there's very little distortion even at 14mm (due mainly to the in-camera correction, but that's not a bad thing). I expected to get the 14-140 and then sell it in favor of a 14-45 and a 45-200...after using the 14-140, not a chance!

Sharpness-wise, it compares favorably to the Canon 24-105 f/4L I was using in my Canon days. The contrast isn't as good, but nothing that can't be fixed in Photoshop. And the 14-140 has a MUCH wider range and is MUCH smaller.

12. txomin

txomin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Bilbao, Spain
    I'm trying the lens at 140mm and is much better than the reviews say. Two examples:

• Like Like x 1
  13. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

My latest attempt here.

14. yoruneko

yoruneko New to Mu-43

May 13, 2010
    This lens tempts me!! But why on earth is it sooo expensive!! It's prolly the most expensive M4/3 lens on the market!!
    ain't it?
    Please give me a good reason to burn 600€ on it!

15. pete_t

pete_t Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    A few reasons:

1. Great 10x focal length range
    2. Sharp all the way (perhaps a little softer at long end)
    3. Distortion very well controlled, minimal anyway
    4. Good 'feel' - solid, well made
    5. Has OIS
    6. Good close focussing distance (0.5m)

Love the lens, almost welded to the camera now.

Three samples - 14mm (Magpie Mine), 140mm (Bluebells, Sheldon Wood) and 61mm (High Dale) all in Derbyshire Peak District.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. yoruneko

yoruneko New to Mu-43

May 13, 2010
    thanks!It does seem to provide very nice results indeed...

17. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Guess I just will HAVE TO buy this lens icw with a 40-50 fast prime.
    - Do I still need the 20 mm F1.7? (sorry that is out of scope of this thread, can everybody forgive me?)

18. RobZ

RobZ New to Mu-43

May 24, 2010
  19. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Lumix or Olympus

My long trip is in 2 weeks and I have a dilemma of getting a µ4/3 superzoom in time for the trip. Getting a 14-140mm Lumix or 14-150mm Olympus is in question. Slrgear.com tends to favor Lumix from a technical stand and it is available today. Weight (Lumix 14-140/460g; Olympus 14-150/290g; EP2/335g) and cost are better for Olympus but the release date seems to be unknown. June 25 was the original release date, but it seems to be slipping to July. DPreview.com still has not published their report on Olympus 14-150mm, which could indicate further delay.
    Is there any word of wisdom in using Lumix 14-140mm on EP2?

20. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    After reading the new Olympus 14-150mm review on DPReview I decided to get Panasonic 14-140; $700 on Ebay.