How do you like your Panasonic G10?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BBW, Jun 6, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I'm not sure if any of our members have a G10 yet or not, but it would be great to learn more about this camera from someone who has one.:popcorm2:

I have my own reasons - our daughter may be in the market for a digital camera beyond her Canon Elph and since she's been using my old OM-1 she's very attached to looking through a built in viewfinder and doesn't care for my EVF on my E-PL1. So I'm just doing a bit of research.:wink:

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Given the parameters of this equation, I'd *personally* as a former OM-1 user go for an e-420 + 25 mm pancake 4:3. But I didn't because of the silly memory card form factor from h*ll. This isn't a plan I've entirely scrapped though, if the next Olympus e-4xx uses sdhc as it should have from inception. At a bit bulkier point, stands the e-620 which is also a damn fine 4:3 camera, having much technology in common with the e-pX line - but with the same silly memory card format shared among Olympus DSLRs.

Just my 2ยข.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I had to go do an errand, I'd wanted to add this to what I'd written above:

Consider the G11 over the G10. The G11 is supposedly more of a departure from the 10 than the 10 was from the 9; fewer megapixels and better ISO performance. Canon users feel it's the best G camera yet.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I think there is some confusion (in this thread) between the Canon G series (excellent P&S) and the Panasonic G series. I think the Panny G10 will give the E-PL1 some competition as an entry level :43:.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    LOL, yeah, I wasn't confused; I was confusing! I was actually dead certain that I was being helpful!

I really like all kinds of cameras; I like little point and shoots, full featured point and shoots, camera phones, DSLRs, m4/3s, medium format, whatever. And I participate at photography-on-the.net, which is Canon-centric. And I came here through the "new posts" feature rather than the header, so I missed the "panasonic cameras" topic! When I see G10, I think of Canon.

BBW, feel free to chuckle, and delete the non-useful.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Interesting thread, thanks for starting. I'm too looking to a Pan G10. Low price, EVF, video, ISO6400, 1-1 format (not available at G1).
    Oh I forgot fast AF.
    I can purchase a G10 with 14-45 lens in Germany for 479 euro, 2 years warranty included. Good offer?
    Any comments and advice are welcome, thanks in advance.

7. BBW

Thanks everyone - and Mosca, no problem! I was a little confused but Bill helped me through it. I have deleted that earlier post of yours.:wink:

Definitely food for thought Mauve, appreciate it.

Bill - your comments are what I've been sort of thinking.

Herman, thanks for adding your inquiries to this thread.

Let's see if anyone here ends up buying one, or if any new members already have.:smile:

• Like Like x 4
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Happy to help ; my experience from the OM-1 is that it's really difficult to go for an EVF afterwards. I've been so spoiled by the gorgeous OM-1 optical finder that I'd rather compose on screen now, and don't really mind about this EVF thing.

While I'm at it, for your daughter to enjoy long years of pleasure from the OM-1, she should have it CLA by a competent person if it hasn't been done already. Firstly because the battery it relies on for metering has been outlawed, and there's no drop in solution, the camera must be converted to work with a modern battery, and secondly because the plain OM-1 has a kind of built in time bomb : there's a layer of black foam on top of the pentaprism underneath the metallic top cover. This foam ages very badly and turns to an aggressive goo of sort that eats through the silvery paint of the prism. This translates as degraded areas visible when shooting and once the damage is done, it's too late (but removing the goo and scrapping the rotten paint still improves the condition enough to keep on using the camera ; it's just infuriating to learn about it once it's too late to act). Someone careful and with an idea of how cameras are made can remove it by himself, but it's still precision work and is best done by a professional (I did it myself, didn't broke anything, but it wasn't the most comfortable moment in my life).

I wish your daughter much photographic happiness with that good old "1".

• Like Like x 2
  9. gregoryfo

gregoryfo New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    panasonic g10 high iso samples

My panasonic g10 kit arrived today. I wanted to get the 14-42 lens and another battery for my gf1 but the price through my wife's work was so good I just ended up buying the g10 kit.

I took tripod mounted pics in low light for iso's 100-6400. 800-6400 samples are also included with lightroom 3.0's (another new toy) noise reduction, which I found impressive. The set with explanations are on my page here:

panasonic g10 camera - a set on Flickr

Overall I think I will like the camera. It will be the in the car always around camera. The camera is very light even compared with the gf1, but feel solid. The kit lens was a bit larger/longer then I expected, and I am not that happy with how is balances on my gf1. It fits much nicer on the g10. I think the gf1 will be pretty exclusively mated with the 20 1.7 and olympus 9-18 and when I need the 14-42 or 45-200 I will use the g10.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Gregory, thanks for this posting. Does the G10 give better results at ISO 3200 then the GF1 ? Do you like the EVF ? Do you like color output ?
    Enjoy your weekend.

11. e-pl1

e-pl1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    wrong WB ?

everything is so yellow...

12. gregoryfo

gregoryfo New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    Hey Herman,

I feel that 3200 is much better on the g10 both straight out of the camera and seems easier to clean up with software. Much less of the chroma color spec noise on the g10, it appears more film grain. Smallish (4x6 and 5x7) prints come out pretty clean.

The camera just arrived last night so I have not used the EVF much. It seems pretty low res, but usable. My son has a t-ball game today so I will check it out in the sunshine to see how it does.

Color looked good on lightroom with raw shots. However, I agree with e-pl1 that is seems overly yellow on the flikr page. Perhaps lightroom 3's jpeg engine is not up to snuff yet for the g10? On the other hand that room is pretty yellow; pooh yellow to be exact. That is what happens now that I can upload directly on flickr without looking at the jpegs first. I will try with the slikypixs software and see how that turns out.

As I mentioned before the camera was a bonus, I was just looking for the kit lens and an extra battery for the gf1. So I am very pleased with it. If you are in the states and your employer does business with panasonic see if you can access their epp site. The camera kit is only $450 plus tax, so it is a steal!

• Like Like x 2
  13. gregoryfo

gregoryfo New to Mu-43

Jun 11, 2010
    Added some snaps from tee ball today.

Panasonic g10 tee ball snaps - a set on Flickr

The camera feels slower then the gf1 on a shot to shot basis. None of the micro 4/3s are replacing my dslr for sports for a few more generations at least. The EVF is use able, but not great in bright light. The sun was harsh and straight overhead. I found it a bit different that both the EVF and LCD are not always on. I wanted to look through the EVF to shoot but then peek at the pics on the LCD, like I do with my Canon cameras. Having never owned a EVF camera since the point and shoots a decade ago I am sure it is just a learning curve for me. I understand that it is probably this way to save battery power.

I came home to the pop photo article on mirrorless cameras, which chose the G2 over the NEX5 and Samsung. I was surprised that pop photo found such poor noise results on the G2.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BBW

Thanks for posting those photos on Flickr, Greg.:smile: The colors all look good and I'm particularly fond of your brother-in-law's "ever growing bald spot", Cookie Monster, not to mention those T-ball winners.:biggrin:

15. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Photographe Mariage A

You're most welcome. It was not hard photographing such is gorgeous photos, you look very awesome!!:grouphug: