How do you like your Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    When I first got the EP1, that lens was my favorite because of how small it made the camera feel. Also because most of my shots tend to be on the wider end.
    I would still have it if Panasonic had not released their 20mm f1.7 lens. While I like the FOV of the Olympus better, the better IQ of the Panasonic and most importantly the faster aperture made it a definite purchase for me. I could have kept both lenses, but truthfully, when I want/need something wider I have the kit zoom and the 4/3 14-54MKII for those times.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:bump:

Would love to hear more from others who have this lens.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I really wish they'd make a 14-54 or 12-60 for mFT.

Dj

5. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular

Never use the zoom anymore since I have the 17mm. However I'm going to order the 20mm soon. Not sure what to do with the 17mm. Might keep it when I need a bit more wideangle.

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm terrible at selling old kit, I still have lenses for my D1x I haven't taken the time to sell! lol

Cheers

Brian

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    There is a FS & W section on here???

or exchange maybe - I have a nice Leica Elmar 5cm f2.8 M mount collapsible lens that I am just about to sell to finance a 20mm or maybe a CV

8. Chow Monkey

Wanna check first how much the 3mm difference works out in practice.. Prolly not a big enough difference to keep the 17mm..

9. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm keeping mine - but only because Capture One Pro v5 will handle the CA/distortion... and I love the 35mm fov.

Cheers

Brian

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Yup there is: https://www.mu-43.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 That is if you meant For Sale...and maybe W = Want.

11. Chow Monkey

35mm is nice indeed.. However I purchased the 50mm 1.4 for my Canon 5D lately and that FOV seems to work well for me also.. Would adore a similar Oly lens but that's impossible. A 25mm 0.7 :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I too have been salivating over the Pany 20mm, but just got the 17mm Oly. So far I have to say I've no problems with sharpness or CA - time will tell!

The difference in price (less than 1/2 ) made it a no brainer for the penny-pincher in me.

Best,
    Tom

13. DeanD

DeanD Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2010
    New York City
    I've been enjoying my 17mm but I must admit lust for the 20mm in part because the fov equivalent to my old OM4T/Zuiko40mm combo from years back. Once in a while I need to correct distortion for the 17mm; from what I've been reading not the case with the 20mm.

I'm saving up, not sure what will become of the 17mm then.

- Dean

14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the 17 is the only af prime for my ep1\gf1 i own its a nice focal length ,and i like the lens............however...........

As i gaze at the tiny front element approximately the size of an american dime, sitting on a plate of polycarbonate the diameter of a tennis ball i cannot help but think how cheap and out touch with the customers who love olympus stuff these clueless and soulless product planners are. my guess is about 1\4 inch more diameter on the front element
    would have got them to f2 or 1.8.

What more would it have cost them to make this prime f2 in speed ??? im sure they could have done it at the current price point and still have made their 3000%profit on it

Its only 2\3 of a stop faster than the kit zoom , not enuf to distinguish it from the kit zoom at 17 imho. the product would have been infinitely more useful AND more sensible a product in the lens lineup at f2 , not to mention the prestige and respect from the photographic community they would have garnered for showing a more serious commitment to the micro four third system [ and calling it a "system" at this juncture is my generosity toward Olympus ,totally unrequited, of course]

a fast prime would have made so much sense and made their customers happy , [like Panasonic had the decency to do} .........so ,of course, it was not done

• Like Like x 4
  15. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    I just got mine and some test shots have shown it, IMHO, to be far sharper than reported.
    Rather like the 25mm Pancake for my e410 ;)

16. mingus

mingus New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2013
    SW of Chicago, Illinois
    Mike
    Looking at your comments, I cannot imagine why you ever purchased this lens. Maybe you should look more closely at the pictures this handy lens will take rather than how good it looks, or how well it conforms to your belief that f2.0 is somehow a limiting parameter in the effectiveness of a lens. Besides, Olympus offers a 17mm f1.8.

The 17m f2.8 is small, lightweight and especially suitable for the compact Pen system cameras. It is a very handy compact “walkabout” lens that takes exceptional pictures for its size. I would say that Olympus juggled the many compromises involved in the design very well.

This lens stays on my EP-3 most of the time – they are a good combination. I find my bigger m43 lenses (Leica 25mm f1.4, Panasonic 7-14 f4.0, Olympus 12-40 f.28 (which is huge), are much happier on my EM-1.

17. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    Ummm... you realize you're replying to a FOUR YEAR OLD thread, yes?

18. mingus

mingus New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2013
    SW of Chicago, Illinois
    Mike
    Ouch -- I didn't look at the date! Thanks.

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    ;)
    gx1•17/2.8•30/2.8