How do you like your Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Anyone have opinions to share about this lens? I've Googled it extensively, read the threads at GetDPI, read the review at DPR several times, read the image thread here at mu-43, looked at the samples on Flickr, read our member soundimageplus' impressions on his blog, and I want more!

3. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I'm very interested in opinions on this lens as well. I'm on the fence about buying it. Do any of our members own this lens?

4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Me too. It is a LOT of money to spend on a lens that gets such a tepid review.

5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Its a lovely lens very compact and light and fast @ f2.8 its very at home on the G1 the GF1 or the EP-2.

I have the Nikon 3T/4T and 6T closeup lenses which work extremely well and have used them extensively .. but !!! the 45mm Elamarit is SO easy to use can do 1:1 FWIW has the Leica nod of approval :wink:

Price is its only bad point but should drop as for DPR review well it wasn't perfect ... in defense this lens is not a flat field copy lens and in the real world with narrow depth of field ultimate corner sharpness is not so important, other aspects of the lens Contrast/Flare/PF/CA are all respectably excellent or very low as applies.

AF is excellent however it can hunt when focusing real close when you have previously focused at a more distant object .. solution MF or focus on a simple close object then on the desired object .. a minor annoyance ...... !!
    With the EP-2 you can have AF-S + MF (not on a Pany body) so AF and at a touch on the ring MF .... a great feature.

Summing up price is its downside ... there are the Oly / Canon / and other adapted macro lens solutions .. but the Elmarit wins on user friendliness ie ergonomics / size / superb build for a consumer lens.

Some examples from my gallery
    http://boyzo.smugmug.com/Nature/Elmarit-45mm-28-Macro/10267752_qPqxq#708655881_KhtQx

• Like Like x 10
  6. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Great colours! What processing did you do on these images?

7. steve

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Boyzo,

Thanks for your review. I just looked through your gallery and you have many wonderful examples of what this lens can do. I'm really impressed.

8. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks Boyzo. Really appreciate your impressions and samples!

9. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    This is perhaps my favorite native :43: lens......yes, better than my 20/1.7.

It has become my walk-around lens on the GH-1. It is razor sharp....nice contrast, good bokeh. I can't say enough good things about it.

R

• Like Like x 4
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Any owner of the 45/2.8 who is also an owner of the 50/2.0? And if yes, how do they compare?

I own the 50/2.0, but the AF is so frustrating when used on the EP2 that I use the 50/2.0 as a MF lens all the time.

11. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Are you referring to the Olympus Zuiko ED macro? If so, I used to own it.....but sold it after I got the Elmarit 45/2.8. It was a nice sharp lens...but it was heavy for my GH-1 and the deal breaker was the fact that the lens extended during focusing. Wanna p**s off a bee on a flower? That lens will do it. :smile:

The best way to describe the 45/2.8 is versatility. It does just about anything you want of it.

R

• Like Like x 4
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yes, I am referring to the good ol' 50/2.0 macro with the slow a-- auto focus! It is very front heavy on my EP2 and it does protrude quite a way out!

Would you say that the 45/2.8 is as sharp as the 50/2.0?

Thanks!

13. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Good question.....I used a series of macro lenses on my GH-1. I started out with the SMC Macro Takumar 50/4.0.....cute little lens. Switched to a Kiron 105/2.8.....amazing....and heavy. Went to the Oly 50/2.0.....very sharp. All of these lenses I would shoot tripod mounted.

Once I got the Elmarit 45/2.8, I have not shot a tripod mounted macro. I love just being spontaneous...AND have the ability to shoot a very nice 1:1 handheld macro. My guess, since I never did a direct comparison is that the Kiron is the sharpest macro lens I have ever used...the Oly 50/2.0 is no slouch. However, the Oly and Kiron are gone now and I shoot only with the Panaleica.

If you are (or want to become) a dedicated macro shooter, I would get the Kiron (or Tamron SP 90/2.5 Adaptall mount).....a heavy tripod....ring flash....and a good layer stacking software program like Helicon Focus.

If you wanna have fun running around shooting stuff (like me)....then get the Panaleica.

R

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Jeez.....I don't think I answered your question....IMO, tripod mounted, the Oly might be sharper.....handheld, I think the 45/2.8 (on a Panasonic body) is....due to the OIS.

R

• Like Like x 2
  15. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I often use my Canon 100L Macro as a walkaround lens for street candids, as it's quite sharp and images are very clear even after cropping.

I'd like to use the Elmarit 45/2.8 in a similar manner. How's the sharpness of this lens for candids? Does anyone have any non-macro examples from this lens? Thx.

16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Rich

and it was a good answer ...
    interesting ... first time I've heard anyone say good things about this lens and its ability to be used hand held. I'm assuming that OIS is making a difference for you.

May I ask a few questions

- what do you normally use as an aperture (like f11?)
    - do you find that stopped down this lens has better diffraction property (less limit) than a 50mm extended to 1:1 and stopped down?
    - is the OIS working well?

For instance I took this one with a FD 50mm f1.8 @ about f16 with about 30mm of extension tube
    [​IMG]
    it gets dark about there ... even if I use manual focus (which I would normally want to do on subjects like this, though the tracking may help ...) it would be nicer to have the lens open for focus confirmation and stop down during taking.

17. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Just a quick question - I have read the reviews, but want to just check :)

Does you PL45 rattle when the camera is switched off, and they sort of click into gear when its switched on (then the rattle stops).

I understand this is the IS, but how rubbish does it sound for a £600 lens!

18. Amin Sabet

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks again for the replies. Sold a couple things to raise funds, and my PL 45 will be arriving tomorrow :2thumbs:.

19. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    Welcome to the PL 45 world - I love mine :) Just wish it didnt rattle! Let me know if yours does.

20. steve

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    Have you any photos to share yet? I'm anxious for your review.

Steve