How do you like your GF1?

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
One thing I thought was odd: while I like my G3 just fine as an image making machine, I did find its shutter to have a displeasing sound. I'm not sure why I would have expected anything else but the GF1 has the same shutter sound.

Long story short - I prefer my Olys, Nikon & Pentax shutter sound.
At some point, someone will just have an artificial shutter sound come out of the speaker as there will be no moving parts. I wonder which shutter they'll sample or synthesise as being the most pleasing?

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thing I thought was odd: while I like my G3 just fine as an image making machine, I did find its shutter to have a displeasing sound. I'm not sure why I would have expected anything else but the GF1 has the same shutter sound.

Long story short - I prefer my Olys, Nikon & Pentax shutter sound.
At some point, someone will just have an artificial shutter sound come out of the speaker as there will be no moving parts. I wonder which shutter they'll sample or synthesise as being the most pleasing?
I can relate, as I can't bear the mechanical shutter sound of my GX7; my EM10.2 sounds really good, and my Fujifilm X-T1 sounds even better.

iamcanjim

Mu-43 Rookie
Hmm. Ancient thread. Started teaching high school photography at the beginning of Feb and in the pile of various Canon XS, XT and Nikon 3X00's was a Lumix GF1 and a G3, with a couple of kit lenses. Since I generally shoot my E-P5 I at least have lots of lenses. Both were picked last because they just aren't that cool looking to grade 11's, but the girls that got them are enjoying them. The GF1 is pretty easy to use.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Hmm. Ancient thread. Started teaching high school photography at the beginning of Feb and in the pile of various Canon XS, XT and Nikon 3X00's was a Lumix GF1 and a G3, with a couple of kit lenses. Since I generally shoot my E-P5 I at least have lots of lenses. Both were picked last because they just aren't that cool looking to grade 11's, but the girls that got them are enjoying them. The GF1 is pretty easy to use.

Glad they're still going strong. I've relegated my G3 to an adapted lens shooter - mostly nice-day macro (windy day macro benefits from Olys stabilisation). My E-P1 was my intro to M43's but when it died I missed a gen-1 camera and picked up a used GF1 - it doesn't have the E-P1 aesthetic or SCP for customisation but the sensor performance feels a little better than the the E-P1. Be sure to get some pics into the 12mp image thread :)

Alan Chin

Mu-43 Rookie
I got the gf1 back in 2010 and barely used it for several years, only in 2013 did I get the eyelevel evf and a 14 2.5 to complement the 40 1.7, and then I loved it -- used it until 2016 very heavily, including for jobs, it's completely worn with a cracked screen now. Replaced it with the GM5 so it doesn't get much play any more. The two big lacks , rectified in future models, were the lack of EVF and lack of electronic pure silent shutter. Other than that, it was a fantastic little camera and in a pinch I still wouldn't hesitate having it be my only camera for a shoot.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Hi Alan. Can you tell me how to make the LCD screen by WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) and generally the best way to set up this camera. Thanks

Latest threads

Top Bottom