How do you like your G2?

daveproctor

Mu-43 Regular
I'm very pleased with mine. Having owned the g1, gf1 and now the g2 I find it the most well rounded and least compromised of the three

The control system is excellent, nice to have a regular switch to change the ad mode and the touch focusing is great for tripod mounted shots (especially macro)

The camera really seems to be an excellent combination of the best features from the g1 and gf1 plus some nice new ones thrown in

prompterbob

New to Mu-43
Just ordered my G2

Glad to hear good things about the G2. I just ordered mine from Amazon tonight. Can't wait to fire it up on Tuesday. Any suggestions on a proper SD card? I have an Adata 16GB Class 6 card I was planning to use. I will probably be shooting more video than stills.

Cheers,

Bob

I'm very pleased with mine. Having owned the g1, gf1 and now the g2 I find it the most well rounded and least compromised of the three

The control system is excellent, nice to have a regular switch to change the ad mode and the touch focusing is great for tripod mounted shots (especially macro)

The camera really seems to be an excellent combination of the best features from the g1 and gf1 plus some nice new ones thrown in

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Glad to hear good things about the G2. I just ordered mine from Amazon tonight. Can't wait to fire it up on Tuesday. Any suggestions on a proper SD card? I have an Adata 16GB Class 6 card I was planning to use. I will probably be shooting more video than stills.

Bob, that card should work fine. It's Amazon reviews are a little scary though - about 50/50 split between 5 stars and 1 star! I tend to go with the Sandisk Ultra II cards, which aren't listed as Class 6 but perform well, get very consistently good reviews, and don't cost much more than the A-Data.

prompterbob

New to Mu-43
Adada good so far

So far my 16GB class 6 Adada SD card is working fine in my G2. I was a bit worried also. We'll see what happens with further testing. In the future, I plan to go with SD cards with better reputations. Thanks.!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Anymore feedback on this camera? Do you find you use all of its extras? Were you new to Panasonic?

Dave and Bob, thanks for your initial thoughts!

P.S. In reading a review from Imaging Resource http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG2/DMCG2A.HTM, I found this which surprised me
Despite what it seems to say in the manual, the Panasonic G2 is Program only, no aperture or shutter priority exposure control is available. Still, Peripheral Defocus mode is available, giving some depth-of-field control, and Flicker Reduction offers four shutter speed choices, from 1/50 to 1/120 second.
and wondered if it was actually true?

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
According to a PDF from Pan Germany both A and S mode are available.
The dial knob also has A and S. (besides of P and M)
I don't have a G2, maybe someone can tell us more on this item.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I find it hard to believe there is no shutter or aperture priority too. Makes you wonder about the review.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
It is not true. Here's a preview "review" from dpreview: Panasonic DMC-G2 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
The G2 features a touch-sensitive screen that can be used to select focus point, adjust camera settings and even fire the shutter. However, no conventional controls have been removed, so it can still be operated exactly like a G1. An oddly-shaped stylus is provided but we found the pressure-sensitive screen responsive enough to not need it.
and further on you can find the specs on the camera, and it has a depth of field preview, too.:thumbup:

I would love to hear from someone who has one what they think about the jpegs for someone who is not a pixel peeping type. I have a daughter who is interested in buying a serious digital camera, as opposed to using my OM-1 film camera and her Canon Elph.

BobH

New to Mu-43
I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to reading people's reactions to the G2. Please post your thoughts here and then once you feel you're able to it would be great to have a review posted in the Reviews forum, as well.:smile:

Have just recently purchased a G2 with Twin lens kit. Have mostly been taking photos with iA as I have been a P & S camera user for many years and before that (more than 50 years ago used a second hand 35mm slide camera and moved onto a Polaroid. Looking forward to being a bit more adventurous in the future. Photos to date have been very good - much better than my previous attempts at photography and low light photos are very clear.

Have ordered a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens which should arrive in the next couple of weeks, so am looking forward to what I can do with that.

delicards

New to Mu-43
Got my G2 Dual Lens Kit today and it looks and feels great. Been too hot to use outside in anger and also England were playing Football (or Soccer) but should be out and about tomorrow to test both lenses. Things seem fairly intuitive even though I am new to Panosonic and the DSLR world having upgraded from a decent Sony compact. Only thing I think I will miss is the instant change from wide angel to zoom which I hope will be more than made up for by the better image quality.

Carol Stee

Mu-43 Regular
The G2 is my first digital camera after having several Nikon 35mm SLRs. I spent a long time comparing similarly priced cameras before I chose it. Since I was used to a viewfinder on an SLR I wanted a camera with one but I didn't want to lug around a heavy camera and I wanted something more than a point and shoot. Since I am paraplegic and in a wheelchair I lug around more than most people even when I'm not carrying a camera so light weight was a crucial factor. I couldn't afford a Leica rangefinder so when I found out about the M4/3rds EVF cameras I knew they were right for me. The G1 was being discontinued, GH1 was too expensive, the G10 didn't have enough features, so the G2 seemed like baby bear's porridge, just right. I couldn't be happier. It's much lighter and smaller than my old SLRs so I can go on long rambles for hours shooting landscapes without getting tired of carrying it. It's best feature, for me, is the auto focus square that by touch can be moved anywhere in the frame and can be increased or decreased in size.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Carol, thank you for your mini review. From everything I've read about this camera it has sounded very enticing. Glad to know it's working out so well for you and I hope you, too, will post some of your photos on that G2 Image thread, and elsewhere.

Eventually it would be great if you and everyone else on this thread would consider writing up a personal review for our "Reviews" section.

It really sounds like a great camera!

P.S. If you have the time, please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum, too.:wink:

ajramirez

Mu-43 Veteran
I like mine just fine. The camera handles quite well and the image quality is top notch. It has put my E-P1 into temporary retirement.

1. Quicker focusing than the E-P1, particularly in low light.
2. Command wheel in the back actually works very well.
3. Very nice integrated EVF.
4. Beautiful LCD.
5. Easier to hold than the E-P1.

Dislikes:

1. No IBIS.
2. No automatic rotation of photos shot in portrait orientation (unless taken with a lens with OIS).
3. Sensor that switches between the EVF and the LCD works poorly with glasses and the camera in portrait orientation. Had to turn it off and resort to switching between the EVF and LCD manually.
4. Shutter release a bit stiff, which makes it a bit more difficult to avoid camera shake.
5. No way to completely turn off touch detection.

Overall, I am quite pleased with it.

Regards,

Antonio

Latest threads

Top Bottom