How do you like your G1?

chalkdust

Mu-43 Regular
The G1 is now the camera I use most. I have several Voigtlander Bessa film cameras with a fairly nice selection of M mount lenses. But I was becoming tired of the hassle of getting the film developed and scanned. With an adapter, my lenses are still put to good use on the G1. The "times 2" crop factor is OK with me.

The only other digital, interchangeable lens camera I have is a Sigma SD10. I enjoy the smaller, lighter G1. I seldom use the kit lens on the G1 because I prefer my lenses to have numbers and scales on them so I can glance at them and know how they are set. (I am kind of an old-timer photographer...strictly amature too.)

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
The G1 is a great camera and impressive accomplishment as the inital :43: camera. There is no "Rev 1" feel about it - it is very polished, without any major problems having shown themselves in the postmarketing period.

I think it offers the best value in :43: land. Take a GF1, remove the video, add a kickass EVF and flip/twist LCD, and drop the price a lot?? We G1 owners are getting a lot for their money.

The initial knock on the G1 was that it was too big, not exploiting the size advantage of having no mirror, and that it looked unnecessarily like a DSLR. Although the latter is true, that there is no need for it to look like a DSLR, I think time has shown that the design is sensible. Lookng at the height of the other :43: options with EVF, one can see some of the logic in the G1 design:

View attachment 140732

That is not to say that they couldn't have designed a better looking "rangefinder style" camera, a la DMC-L1; only that the current design makes sense as well.

The other knock on the G1 is that it isn't that much smaller or lighter than a small DSLR. This is true, but it offers all the other advantages which are inherent to the :43: system: WYSIWYG view on both LCD and EVF, class-leading live-view usability, most compact available AF lenses, sophisticated AF system (far more AF points and even coverage than any similarly sized DSLR), metering options not possible with current DSLRs (metering based on faces detected in the frame), etc.

When I hold my G1, I'm reminded by how well thought out this camera really is. The little touches stand out, for example, the way the LCD display turns off automatically when I raise the camera to my eye, the way the diopter control is recessed to avoid accidental bumps, the manual switches for focus modes and self-timers, dedicated ISO button, and the list goes on.

In short, if you do not want video capability and don't need to the smallest size :43: camera, the G1 gets my highest recommendation!

Ranger9

Mu-43 Rookie
I agree. It seems to me that the G1 is about as small as you could make a 4/3-format camera if you want to build in a good EVF and a reasonably-powerful flash. And if you want that flash elevated over the lens, you need a "hump" to house it -- resembling a DSLR was just a side effect of putting it in the most logical place.

Meanwhile, even if it's only a little smaller than the smallest comparably-featured DSLRs, it's still a lot more compact than what most people actually use. And by the time you figure in "pack size" -- camera plus a few lenses and accessories -- it adds up to a very significantly smaller package. I suspect pack size would also be smaller than an Olympus or a GHF-1, if you account for carrying the EVF and a comparably-powered flash unit, plus their cases etc.

Attachments

• PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 252
  • PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 276
  • PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 243

kengan

Mu-43 Rookie
Well, as an old new member here. Got my G1 some time back, but sadly due to a sudden health problem, needing intensive hospital treatment. Which I'm glad to say was successful, but now needing some self imposed TLC, limiting my outdoor expeditions, my G1 has yet to be fired in anger. Though have had much hands on use, and what I must say, is I love the handling, and weighting of it. Just looking forward to some real usage in the near future. Mean while, have been enjoying looking at the offerings posted by users, on this and other good Forums.

Thanks to Amin for your warm Welcome! And thanks to Brian for pointing the way here!

sebastel

Mu-43 Regular
i liked the G1 quite a lot.
when first in fo became available, i was interested but had some concerns regarding the EVF. when i finally held it in my own hands and took a look, i was easily convinced and purchased immediately.
later, the EVF turned out to be the best feature for my use. the hinged display came in helpful on tripod and close to the ground.

still i changed to the olympus E-P1 as soon as it became available, as it produces the better colour (and the more pleasant results in general) and is much easier to carry (both in bag and (big) pockets).
the E-P's styling "helped", too (though this is a matter of personal preference), as well as panasonic's battery politics.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The G1 is like my work camera. I use it like I use to use my DSLR's. It's a great tool and it does the job very well. There are many shooters using this on the street but I never do. I have the Pen for that.
The design of the G1 is very close to perfection in such a small package....
it's just that stupid front wheel.........
shooter

Novaron

Mu-43 Regular
Really like my G1 and have used it quite a bit when traveling and shooting some music festivals. Have posted quite a bit on my flickr site of shots from it although still use my other DSLRs as well.

adsinger

Mu-43 Rookie
Like It A Lot

I knew I wanted a m43 camera but was torn as each of the then available four had plusses and minusses for my use. When the price on the G1 dropped that was the trigger for me.

While it lacks the sexiness of the GF-1 and the EP1, it provides solid performance with the same lenses and works far better with legacy glass. The EVF has been a big surprise, it's better than the OVF on my recently departed DSLR Canon. The SLR-like shape may not be as small or fashionable as the others but works far better with longer lenses than trying to shoot at arms length. When shooting in an odd position is required or desired the swiveling LCD comes to play. Why the others forego this is beyond me, it's 1/4" bigger and worth a lot.In essence the GF-1 is more money for less camera.

I've heard much about the Olympus' better jpg color and I accept it as such. But I have always color corrected all my jpgs anyway, from my Canons and my Leica so it doesn't matter much to me. Plus I generally shoot RAW and jpg just to have that backup. Plus I've found Olympus menus to be pretty incomprehensible in the past while the G1 is similar to my Leica DL4.

I know that sometime in the future there will be another m43 that will tempt me, but until then the G1 provides all the performance I need.

alan.

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought my G1 because it is so similar to my old FZ50. The pictures the new G1 takes are much better.

p915683555-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p722343425-4.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Carlarm

Mu-43 Regular
I decided I wanted to replace my Olympus SP-350 compact camera because of the number of shots I missed due to the shutter lag of the SP-350. I was also hoping a more modern camera would have less noise at higher ISO settings. Other than the shutter lag, I was very impressed with the quality of the SP-350 and went to a local camera store to see the Olympus 4/3 DSLRs. These weren't much smaller than the Nikon DX DSLRs, which I considered for a short time because I have a large number of older Nikon lenses. But I remembered how I used to lug my heavy old camera case around and wanted a small light camera with interchangeable lenses. The salesman got my attention when he showed me the Panasonic G1. I was really impressed with the live view LCD and EVF. But when I got it home I found the live view LCD and especially EVF became quite noisy and jerky under low light conditions. There was an improvement in noise but not dramatic. For a while I thought I had made a mistake. But I'm coming around. It wasn't obvious in the camera store, but the articulating LCD is really useful. Very few digital cameras have a fully articulating LCD. I bought the 20mm F1.7 lens and this makes a huge improvement in the LCD and EVF in low light. Pictures taken with the 20mm lens are crystal clear and sharp, even wide open. After additional research, I haven't found any camera I felt I should have bought instead. Well maybe the Leica M9, but I can't afford to spend that kind of money on a camera.

photographyrich1965

New to Mu-43
micro 4/3's migration

I bought my used G1 as kind of a plaything to use my older Pentax glass. Initially I was suprised at the multitude of settings and funky little ikons the user can turn on or off on the camera. After using it a couple of months, and customizing the settings to a point they can be ignored, I couldn't be more impressed. The picture quality is exceptional. For my kind of street-industrial-grunge the little G1 more than holds its own. I've had several Canon DSLR's and carted around many lbs. of "L" glass and it's a revelation to tote a light kit that fulfills my photographic needs. I recently ordered an EP-1refurb that was too good a deal to pass on. My micro 4/3's adventure continues...

Ben

Mu-43 Regular
I bought mine for a smaller camera (to accompany my Canon 5D). Bought in anticipation of the pancakes (that were a long time coming) and had the 17mm Oly until the Panasonic 20mm came out. The kit lens and tele zoom really aren't at all (better than their equivalent Canons in my view) and I have had great fun fiddling around with OM and Hexanon glass with various adaptors (including a tilt shift one - another post somewhere on that).

No better testament that the 5D barely gets used now (and it has amazing glass). I am amazed at the number of 5D and Nikon D700 users in particular who have taken to micro four thirds. What is striking is that those two DSLRs are cameras for camera lovers - micro four thirds is definitely doing something right.

Now all I want is for the G2 to be styled more like the GF1 with a built in EVF and a flip screen.......

Ken Smith

New to Mu-43
I bought a used G1 body a month ago, so I could get my canon FD lenses out of mothballs, and use some of my russian leica thread lenses on the camera. I had thought about getting the Panasonic EF-1 for the same reason, but I knew I did not want to buy the add-on viewfinder when I knew I would be shooting manual focus, and not wanting to do that on the lcd. The G1 was the obvious choice then for me.

I had not even seen a G1 in the flesh, so when it arrived, I was happy with the touch of the rubberized finish, the quality, the tilting lcd, many ergonomic features. In use, it is great, and shooting my old lenses is spectacular.

I also own a Panasonic LX3, which has its own place. And prior I have always used the Canon Rebel line of digital cameras. All are keepers, but the G1 is rising to the top.

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I'm alarmed to think that the firmware (even updated) allows (admittedly bizarre) keypress combinations to damage the main board and TFT screen (see this thread). And the menu system will continue to give me much-needed exercise in reading Japanese (see this one).

Those matters aside, it looks good. Even though I never much warmed to and rarely use the "VF-1" electronic viewfinder for my little Ricoh, this one is OK. Indeed, it seems better than the [optical] finder of any of the [genuine] DSLR cameras priced where they might interest me.

I've got a fair number of wonderful old lenses that I could easily mount on this camera but I expect I'll rarely do this. After all, for 36x24 I rarely wanted to use anything narrower than 50mm, so I'm not that excited about any lens longer than 25mm; but no lens I have that's that wide is much faster than is the standard zoom. Which is a pity, because although the body of this camera is compact, once it has the zoom lens stuck on it it becomes quite a bit larger than what I've recently become accustomed to. But maybe in a few months Panasonic/Olympus will bring out new models and people will be selling off their old ones, with perfectly good "pancakes" attached.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
After 7 days use

I like really mine, the size, EVF and swivel screen plus the use of MF lenses.........are pluses for me.
The price is very good when compared with the GF1 and EP-1/2

For everyday, it will get a lot more use than my D300 - but I would not give up my D300

I hope that when they "update" the G1 they do not get rid of the swivel screen

I would like to see a focus confirm when using manual lenses, plus some kind of menu system that allows you to at least register some information about the MF lens that is being used

I don't really like the wheel and the buttons - up down left right, are a little small for me

I still have not got used to the menu system and I would like to see all those "scene mode" options on the top dial taken off.

It would be great if they could incorporate some kine of rangefinder focus system - but I suppose that is not possible.

I hope that they still keep at least one M4/3 camera of the size of the G1 as I would not want a smaller camera as my main camera

I think the the dedicated lenses are a little on the expensive side

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I would like to see a focus confirm when using manual lenses. . . .

Oh bowel movement! I thought there already was.

(I haven't yet tried it: I have my G1 and Konica AR adapter here with me, and my Hexanon 40/1.8 lens an hour's train ride away.)

Oh well, together with its two lenses the camera cost me very little indeed beyond the points I'd accumulated at Yodobashi Camera. And it seems fine for its intended purpose.

Now inferring that it doesn't have focus confirm, I'm in awe of the skill needed to take correctly focused photos with 50mm f/1.2 lenses and the like wide open. (They're thanks in part to finder magnification, I suppose. Hmm, thinking of that I'm flashing back to the days of TLRs.)

Ben

Mu-43 Regular
Oh bowel movement! I thought there already was.

(I haven't yet tried it: I have my G1 and Konica AR adapter here with me, and my Hexanon 40/1.8 lens an hour's train ride away.)

Oh well, together with its two lenses the camera cost me very little indeed beyond the points I'd accumulated at Yodobashi Camera. And it seems fine for its intended purpose.

Now inferring that it doesn't have focus confirm, I'm in awe of the skill needed to take correctly focused photos with 50mm f/1.2 lenses and the like wide open. (They're thanks in part to finder magnification, I suppose. Hmm, thinking of that I'm flashing back to the days of TLRs.)

You'll be surprised out how easy focus is. Obviously sometimes you need to use the focus magnification but I find it is hardly ever necessary (only really for fine detail close-ups). Focus does seem to visually snap in - much better than trying to manually focus on a standard SLR screen (very like using one of the dedicated replaceable manual focus ones).

Latest threads

Top Bottom