How Do You Like Your E-PL1?

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
You could have posted this last week, I've just bought an EP-1 .... so you won't get an answer from me as there no "L" in mine

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
When I scroll down I just get this box for a "Quick Reply"

I'll stop now and go and cause havoc on someone else's thread

as you can see I've got "bugger all" to do today

prayformojo

Mu-43 Rookie
I am an extreme novice when it comes to photography. In the past we have always had P&S cameras, albeit good ones, they were still just P&S cameras.

I was drawn to the Pen series by the form factor/picture quality combo. I wanted a camera that was small enough to carry most places that we go and not overwhelming.

The E-PL1 fits the bill, the quality of the shots are amazing. The DOF is great and totally a new concept given our past with only P&S.

I also shoot a lot of video and really want an all in one device. The E-PL1 works great to this end, I have shot a couple of videos and the end results were very good, but most importantly they were easy to upload to youtube and edit using Adobe Premiere, this has not been the case in the past with other camcorders/cameras. As for the 7 minute or so time limit to clips, I have learned over the years that no matter how cool something that I shoot video of seems, more than 2-3 minutes of a given take will ensure that it is never watched again. I plan on shooting quick clips to post for family and friends on youtube.

Being a novice, I also really appreciate the art filters. Corny I know, but I love them. I realize I could get similar effects using Photoshop or another editing program, but I love the fact I can shoot with these effects in real time and see the results on the screen. Plus I have never been one to spend a lot of time editing photos.

Another important aspect of the camera is the low light capabilities, I like shooting inside without a flash and this camera has performed extremely well under these circumstances.

Really my only negative is the AF speed and it seems like I can mitigate that by playing with the settings some, learning a little more about photography and getting the Panny 20mm lens.

I will continue to throw out other thoughts as I learn the ins/outs of the camera, but so far I really love it.

Graham_of_Rainham

Mu-43 Regular
I had to work today and missed the London "Press" day for this latest PEN. As it it a serious contender for a replacement for my "walkabout" camera, I'm very interested in opinions...

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
would love to learn more

Now that we do have several members on here who have been using their E-PL1 cameras it really would be wonderful if you'd consider posting your impressions on the new Reviews section.

I'm very interested in this camera for several reasons and would love to hear more about it. Read this thread that was started recently the explains what the Reviews Section is all about. Here's an excerpt from Amin's introduction:
Most of us have had the experience of making a difficult gear-buying decision. While there is a role for the detailed technical reviews posted at DPReview, the Imaging Resource, DCRP, and elsewhere, a brief, honest opinion from a trusted source can make all the difference.

When I launched these forums in December, I started a number of "How do you like your..." threads in order to solicit valuable user reviews/impressions/opinions from our members about their gear purchases. Some of those threads are already great resources for prospective buyers, but they are getting harder to find as the site gets more busy...

Inquiring minds need to know.:thumbup:

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I promise as soon as I hopefully get mine Monday night (if the dealer doesn't break his promise) I'll likely post a full review by Wednesday. My Tuesday nights are taken up so if I get it Monday night it will take me 3.5 hours to charge it fully up. so I won't likely get to completely wring it out till Wednesday. The more I read about it the more I salivate. I just took delivery of the Panny 45-200OIS lens to go along with the kit lens. So I'll be sure and test that bad little boy out as well. I have high expectations here as my other setup is a Nikon D700 and some nice lenses. So the bar has been set a bit high. The P1 just didn't quite make the grade for me, so we'll see. This will be the critical test to see if I am made for the 4/3rd system or not. From many testers out there the general consensus is that the focus speed is indeed FASTER than previous generations. That will of course be the FIRST thing for me to note. From there image sharpness at the pixel level, color rendition and ability to record the image without those annoying dark shadows. This is one thing endemic with the 4/3rd cameras I've noticed and won't put up with it. I want to see shadow details, not just save highlights to sacrifice them. So we'll see. I will be critical so stay tuned. :cool:

W.Ray

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi, I just joined the forum a few days ago after having purchased the E-PL1. Here are a few test images done to see how the little wonder does in various lighting situations. A potpourri (or potage de garbage) if you will:

4433661767_94007e9143.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4433661525_eddb81e5c0.jpg

4434432352_5da882965e.jpg

4433659033_60c1ffd9b1.jpg

4434431972_f11da3f9d5.jpg

So far, I like the camera a lot - can't wait for the evf to become available, though!

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to mu-43.com, W.Ray and congratulations on your new E-PL! Thanks so much for these photos and for that wonderful black and white portrait of your two pals over in the here.

All of your shots look quite good with great color and details, too.

It's late here...in the USA so either people are night owls or they're from different time zones, but I wanted to say hello before signing off. Be sure to check out the Site Information threads, and more... And stop by the Welcome and Introduction thread if you have time, too. I'll look forward to hearing more details about your new camera and more over the days ahead.:biggrin:

Cosimo Matteini

Mu-43 Rookie
I have had my E-PL1 for just over a week now. I'm updating from having owns a few compact cameras, so for me it is so exciting to start getting more creative freedom.

So far I have been extremely pleased on how the camera is handling different scenes and with the on camera image stabilisation. I have taken some nice photo at 1/13 sec and they came up very sharp. I have been also please with the ISO so far with no apparent noise at 800, and little noise at 1600.

People seem to complain about the AF. To me it doesn't feel all that slow. For the type of photography I do, it fast is not the main issue anyway. So far I found it accurate though.

But then again, I better remind everyone that I upgraded from compact cameras. And the difference is huge! What do other people think?

Cosimo

W.Ray

Mu-43 Rookie
I see nice colour in all those photos. Thanks for posting those images.

Yes, I like the colors. Here's one for all those still suffering in the cold!

4435996630_9bf622ba17.jpg

CanonDude

Mu-43 Rookie
I am loving mine. I wanted a compact camera with a MOS sensor to eliminate the noise issues I was getting from my Canon G10, and this little guy fills the bill. I had to change the video button to a different task because I kept recording unwanted videos, and get a VF-2 viewfinder for it, but with that done, IT'S GREAT!

Latest threads

Top Bottom