1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you like your E-P2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Raimondi

Raimondi Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2009
    It is a no-regret purchase. If there is any regret, it must be that I had not got it earlier.

EP-2 is my first digital camera. I had experience playing with others' dslr, prosumer and dc but none had attracted me until EP-1 came out. It is the size, design, mount compactability at reasonable price that drew out my appetite. And so when EP-2 became available, it was a no brainer. With EP-2, all my old manual lens can be revitalised with simply 1 handy body. In addition, the high quality jpeg output also impressed people like me that do not shoot raw, nor want to spend time on post-editing.

I still strongly believe the greatest fun in photography lies on the instant reaction when you see a beautiful scene and is able to capature it in a nice way within that mini-seconds, with proper pre-setting/calculation of your camera. And this is where the skill-set lies. I am not objecting to any post-editing but then any subsequent modification in front of a computer screen is a bit beyond photography.

Major concern of most people on the EP-series is on the focusing speed but not to me at all. If your main shooting are sports or moving wide-life, you should really go for dslr - G1 would be a better choice. Some has concern on high noise at ISO over 1600 when compared to peers, but to people like me that was used to film shooting, very descent quality at ISO 1000 is already sufficient. Others may want a built-in flash but to me I prefer removing this to give me a smaller size and lighter weight.

After buying EP-2, I start to think EP-1 is already good enough to me as I do not plan to use the audio recording functionality and am yet to test the EVF after more than 3 occasions of shooting. Manual focusing is not difficult with the 7x and 10x MF Assist function; although under strong sunlight, a EVF could be a very nice back-up. The kit 14-42 lens is a sweet surprise as it delivers very satisfactory performance.

Therefore I would say, EP-2 is just perfect and tailor-made exactly to give what I want. I began to wonder if I was just the kind of customer that EP-2 is actually targetting at in its market research.

If I really get down to the very critical level, I would think the menu navigation could be more logical. Design concept of the menu is to give user as much customization option as possible which is an excellent intent. Trade-off is that this high versatility sometimes leads to confusion or loss especially if one does not have much experience with camera or photography. It takes me slightly more time to get familiar with the navigation, but once you get familiar, you are there. Finally I would like to see a longer battery life and is waiting for more choice of lenses and accessories.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Also no regrets - well possibly miss the chrome "retro" look of the EP1 a small bit - but performance wise very satisfied with the "upgrade" from the 1 to the 2.
    The EVF is great - especially if you like using manual focus lenses or Lensbaby type lenses. For me it was worth the cost to change just to get that.
    The IQ of the two cameras are VERY close - certainly not enough of a difference to really justify changing just for that. What I will say is that Oly definitely tweaked the flash exposure on the EP2. I was getting quite a few over exposed flash shots (FL20 and FL36R) with the EP1 and have had none with the EP2.
    The AF on the EP2 might have also been tweaked - seems to hunt a little less in less than optimal light - but again, nothing to really write home about.
    The two additional Art filters are cool, though really only used the Cross Processing to this point.
    The CAF-Tracking is cool, but again have not really used it enough. Seems to work as advertised - good for focusing and then recomposing a shot. Probably more of an advantage for video.
    Overall, very happy with the EP2 but then again I was very happy with the EP1 also. (Guess too much "disposable income" for my own good - though my favorite salesperson at Adorama does not seem to care!)
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

a question re the EVF

As someone who is still in the reading/researching stages pre-buy mode, I'm interested in hearing a bit more about this aspect. Are you saying that without the EVF that using old OM-! manual focus lenses would be easier and if so, how so? I will note that I have read that for those of us who wear glasses (especially progressive lenses?) that for manual focus that the EVF is a big plus.

Please bear in mind that I am a completely ignorant about electronic view finders...and probably should go take a hands on look at the two different E-Ps to see whether I really need the more expensive 2... Having gotten used to the 3 inch LCD screen on my p & s, I've kind of forgotten what it's like to use a viewfinder - and have to admit that once I needed to wear glasses full time I found my OM-1's manual focusing to be quite difficult.:redface: Thus my interest in learning more about the pros and cons to the EVF.

Thanks for any help here!

5. Elliot

Elliot Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    NORTHERN VIRGINIA USA
    Incredibly pleased.

What is not to like. This camera is very functional, and provides incredible images in both Jpeg and Raw. The EVF has made a world of difference for focusing manually with either my Nikon G lenses or Voigtlander lenses with adapters.

The camera system is so wonderfully versatile that I cannot conceive why anyone would not want this as a primary or backup camera to what ever they currently own.

Oh did I say incredibly pleased?????

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

Elliot, thanks for posting because I'd forgotten all about this thread! I'll have been a very pleased and happy owner of the E-P2 for two weeks on tomorrow. I couldn't be happier with it and even though I have much to learn about its workings, I'm already reveling in it! :drinks:

Have to add that I love the EVF and yet it's nice to have the option to choose the LCD sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

After 14 days with my E-P2 it gets a hearty :2thumbs:
    I didn't really think I'd find a digital camera that would supplant my Hexar AF, but the E-P2 has done just that. So far all the chatter about slow auto focus is a bunch of hot air, this camera is quick enough for me. The high points for me are: small but not too small, easy to carry around. Responsive, once you get a feel for the controls and configure the camera to suit your shooting style. Powerful, lots of cool settings and features. I don't think I'll ever use them all. Wonderful image quality, I'm more than happy with the out of camera jpegs. The ability to use a variety of Zuiko glass, what more need be said, this camera is a winner. To date I've just been playing around so not many photos worth posting, but that will be coming soon. By the way I got the 17mm f2.8 lens. This is a very nice lens, and I'm fond of the 35mm focal length. I prefer to shoot in "P" mode and let the camera do all the heavy lifting and then fine tuning the exposure if needed. I have the AEL/AFL button dedicted to locking focus and the shutter locking exposure and taking the picture. I would also like to thank Brian Mosley for his series of videos, it accelerated my learning curve, thanks again....
    Now to get back to enjoying the camera... :smile:
    John

• Like Like x 2
  8. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    0 Regrets after less than a week... I came from an EP1 and GF1 setup... I shoot almost all Legacy glass so EVF was a must...

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Glad to hear it ahuyevish, and welcome to MU-43.com, too. Hope to see more of you and your work on the site.

10. johnkuo

johnkuo New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2010
    I am a long time Leica rangefinder user (both film and digital). I have a Ricoh GRD2 as a pocket camera. As much as I like its intuitive operation, I was never happy with its small sensor performance. Though the E-P2 is a bit bigger with a pancake lens and EVF, it fits my needs perfectly so far for times I don't want to bring the rangefinder outfit. I've always been a strict RAW shooter, but I start to appreciate the nice out of camera JPG from E-P2. In a way it's very refreshing and fun to just shoot away and not worry about post processing. Overall very happy with this purchase.

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    John,
    Welcome. Your amongst friends here.
    The jpg thing is rather nice. I do raw always but as you said,
    sometimes the jpg just relaxes you.
    The art filters from the Pen have their place.
    Enjoy the forum and post some images so we can see what you see.
    Shooter

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks... I contribute heavily on DPreview and FM.. will definitely be here...

13. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Over the moon with my purchase and mightily impressed with the EVF, I use it with the Panny 1.7

14. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    After several weeks with an EP-1 and now with my own EP-2 I'm totally happy with this Oly.
    Coming from the Nikon D300 and after my restart 4 years ago, a small camera with a bigger sensor as the p&s cams should have a place in my bag. Long story short some keypoints for me were/are important:

Image stabilizer incam
    Good viewfinder, if detachable good for some situations to squeeze the size
    Leica primes to be attachable via adaptors

So the range of Pana has fallen through the mesh and the only serious thinking against the Oly was my bad experience with a OLY 5050. Not the technical aspects but the user interface of the cam. I couln't get the feeling for it or it was too early for my digital experience. But my first digicam, a Minolta Dimage S3 was ok to handle (incl. built in viewfinder!).

Two weeks together with the EP-1 made everything clear: UI is ok, I got the feeling to use it, therefore a EP-2 should come and so it happened.

From only viewing the datas a Pana GF1 would win in some categories but the finder and the stabilizer made the race for me. In my age a stabilizer should not to be seen as not necessary......:rolleyes:

Another advantage from the Oly is the colorwork the camera provides. It's like having a Leica M8 without it's drawbacks and price......

So the Oly is my dufflecoats pocket baby - if it must be very quick for streetshots, ok - I'll miss very rare some shots, but I'm really fast with my Bessa or zeissIkon when I have a very good day, not always....:cool:
    I forgot: I'm wearing glasses with short distance area and the finder feels like my old Nikon High Eyepoint finder from the good olde days...:thumbup:

Last words: To get the maximum out of the cam for wide angle it will be smart to have the Pana 20mm f1.7...

• Like Like x 3
  15. johnkuo

johnkuo New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks. Yes the first outing I was shooting quite a bit of art filter to see what they can do, and they sure are fun. But now I have reverted back to Natural color mode as it gets old after a while. I will post some images shortly.

John

16. graustark

graustark Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA
    I love film, and until I got the E-P2, I hadn't taken too many digital images I liked. I depend on cross processing, double exposures, light leaks, film damage and so forth to add character to my film images, and there just didn't seem to be a way to do something similar with digital unless you're a Photoshop guru. That's not where the fun's at for me.

I read a lot about the E-P2, and I was hoping it would be a digital camera that I could actually enjoy using. And even taking "confirmation bias" into account, it has exceeded my expectations. I love using it, and more importantly, I love the images that come out of it. I never thought a digital camera could be my go-to camera, but this really can.

So the things I love most:

The way the sensor renders images. I have taken a few shots that you could almost mistake for something that came out of my favorite film camera, the Great Wall.

Being able to use all my cruddy old film camera lenses. Possibly even my Great Wall's lens, once the extra set of extension tubes I bought get here. (One set didn't get me enough distance from the sensor.)

Double exposure mode! I only wish it allowed you to stack more exposures, or combine them with the art filters. I love the ability to preview the overlay, even though it feels like cheating.

The art filters. Though "Pinhole" looks nothing like a pinhole camera image, it does a good job at the toy camera look. The others are fun, too.

I'm also finding it very comfortable to handle, and the UI was easy to learn. Now if only the sun would come out so I can take it out shooting!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    No - what I meant is that is you like manual focus lenses that using the EVF makes it MUCH easier to focus - at least for me. Now I wear glasses, but I generally don't look through them when using a camera. My left eye is near-sighted, so I use that one when using the LCD - holding the camera generally about 6" to 1' away from my face. When using the EVF I use my right eye (which is far-sighted, but can see clearly at around a computer monitor distance) and use the diopter adjustment.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  18. BBW

Thanks Swandy - I did end up buying the E-P2 and am very happy with the camera and have been using the EVF 99.99% of the time. I'm afraid neither of my eyes work for much without my glasses. Thank goodness for modern optics!