How do you like your E-P1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I couldn't be happier ......

Except for......
    Nah, I love it!

3. oldmandon

oldmandon Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 25, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    My E-P1

My E-P1 is less than two weeks old, but I think its at the top of the 'most interesting' cameras to come along in quite sometime. Is it the end all and be all to photography? No, but it is truly fascinating given its features and size. It stimulates creativity. I will carry it more places than I would ever consider taking my DSLR big bag with little sacrifice in IQ, etc. I :love: it!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So far, yes.

I took it to florida during my vacation, and took about 200 photos while visiting St. Augustine. I loved the fact while walking through the shops I seemed inconspicuous. Only complaint so far is that I wish the main control ring had a little more stiffness to it when it rotates as well as the pad underneath for up, down, left, right. Sometimes ISO would get changed or the focus mode would get changed while trying to change apeture in A priority.

I hope to post some photos later this week.

Dj

5. vondauster

vondauster New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Colorado
    Better in the Raw

Love the EP-1 with the vastly under-respected (in the photo press, anyway) 17mm f2.8. The lens - and the camera - really benefit from raw processing, using Lightroom in this case. Terrific results, great portability, and looks good to boot. And nobody does color rendition better than Oly...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stewardrobbins

Stewardrobbins New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I just bought the EP-1 after buying and returning the Panasonic GF1 (didn't like the handling or the jpegs) and buying and returning the Canon G11 (loved the form factor and features, but the image quality just wasn't there.

I am somewhat surprised that I have fallen in love with the Pen, but I will happily put up with its quirks for the in-body stabilization and the wonderful, low noise jpegs. I'm sure I will have many questions about this little camera!

• Like Like x 1
  7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The E-P1 rekindled my interest in photography and is taking to a level that it has never been to before. Yeah, the camera is a little quirky, particularly in the menus, but the out of camera jpegs and general IQ including noise levels for such a compact camera are stunning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Welcome to mu-43, Steward!

9. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Same here! After enjoying and returning the GF1, I've now put in an order for an E-P1 and have ordered the 20/1.7 lens separately. My images from the GF1 were very nice, but so many (29%) were obviously victim of camera shake, especially the indoor shots where the camera slowed down to 1/30s.

Will be sure to post my impressions of the 'move' :)

10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

:bump: for Bill and other E-P1 folks.

11. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Latest firmware is 1.3

bought mine new this week and 1.1 was installed

maybe worth checking yours if you have not done so

Update using Olympus Master software - almost auto - not like the Panasonic stuff where you have to copy to flash card etc., etc

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    ya sure about the firmware? I have 1.2 and thought that was the latest.
    Don

13. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Just been updated today Don. It was a fix to the electronic levels lockup which occurred if you used MF on a m4/3rds lens while showing the levels display. You had to press Info to cycle out and back into the levels display to unlock it.

Cheers

Brian

14. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    just looked at the first few shots

the jpeg colours are good

15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Is the update online now?
    Maybe you should post a link... Dunno
    don

16. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Don

if you plug your cam into the software, (on your computer), and click the update icon it will come up automatically and from then on its simple

17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    Make an old guy happy....
    Tell me there's a focus scale....
    Lie if ya have to...
    Thanks..don

18. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    don't know about that Don, I've only had the EP-1 a day - it's a bit technical for me anyway - focus scale - that's on the lens isn't it - they'll never be one on the LCD, (software), will there, it's an Olympus not a Nikon ........ now when the Nikon M4/3 comes along maybe all your Christmas wishes will come at once, blah, blah, blah ........ but I've always been a dreamer

I'm working on my crispy coated small chocolate eggs at the moment with a "nice cup of tea"

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Bill,
    Dunno about Nikon but Oly can't figure it out.
    Enjoy the eggs....
    I have a thing for Zitner Double Coconut....
    My dentist likes them too...

20. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I have had my E-P1 for two months now and like it just fine. Any criticism I may have is probably due more to personal preferences and shooting style, rather than any design or performance shortcomings of the camera. I do find, however, the menu system a bit complicated. If I could make one wish, it would be to be able to download alternate firmware that would turn the camera into a RAW only, no noise reduction, no picture styles, no video, streamlined shooting machine. That way, the menus would be a lot shorter, making it easier to find the important stuff (for me anyway). I am fully aware this is wishful thinking and would never happen.

Regards,

Antonio