1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you hold/support your camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noohoggin1, May 17, 2013.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    As an offshoot to the thread about whether people want the OMD- EM5 successor to be bigger....

How many people here support the camera by the lens, and how many support the camera by the body mostly?

I'm suspecting the ones who primarily support the camera by the body prefer a bigger body to support/balance the lens. But I've always been taught to support by the lens, especially if the lens is heavy. So for me, a small size body, no matter how disproportionate to the lens, would make no difference to my handling of taking photos. Also, I don't have to worry about stressing the mount in that case. By the way, when I first learned photography, I held it by the body. Over time, I switched.

I've made it no secret that I'm against micro 4/3rds moving towards bigger bodies--but perhaps that's because I'm a "lens supporter" (being near pocketable helps my preference as well).

So just curious.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Properly, with TWO hands!

3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    lol i get what you're saying. Some people, even with both hands, tend to lean a little more towards one side or the other. For example, most of the camera/lens weight is supported in my left hand, and my right hand's fingers barely wrap around the body's grip with a feather's touch; it's mostly used to press the shutter. :)

4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    This.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    It depends on what lens is on it.

Are we talking 25mm f/1.4? Primarily Body.
    Are we talking 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5? Primarily Lens

...but that's not an option on the poll, so didn't vote...

6. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Like this...

8748686129_b08251f024_b.

8749810218_b137bf5d54_b.

7. I basically hold the weight of the camera and lens with my left at the centre of gravity, and with my right hand around the grip to stabilise it (and of course operate the controls). Exactly where I place my left hand depends on the weight and length of the lens I have mounted.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Left hand supporting body + lens, right hand supporting body. I guess I'm not sure how to answer the poll!

9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    With a light prime it's very easy to hold it out with one hand, but I still pull the EVF up to my eye with left hand under the lens like I would with a D/SLR. Old habits...

10. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Body on back of left hand palm LH thumb and first finger round lens with COG in middle of palm. Right hand lightly griping camera with lower fingers leaving thumb/ first finger free to operate shutter/ dials.

Probably old habit from OM1/3 due to shutter speed (round the lens mount) as well as aperture and focus all done by LH fingers

11. tigermanrocks

tigermanrocks New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2011
    left hand under lens always
    Right hand with thumb on the grip but with my little finger under the camera. It just feels more stable this way...unfortunately most of the cases for EM5 have a battery door cut out so I've held off buying one as I dont think it would be too comfortable to use in this position

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    With my little fingers sticking out. Because I'm posh!

Support the lens. And turn the zoom ring.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very carefully. :tongue: :wink: :biggrin:

Since I have the HLD-6 attached I also have a grip strap too (aftermarket type) & that helps, but of course the left hand is adjusting the lens zoom as well.

14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Most of the time I support both, whilst taking shots. (Not really practical with my c mounts or pinhole) whilst walking with the camera, most of the time I just hold the body with an added wrist strap, but with a heavy lens I carry by that instead.

With my 150-500 on my dSLR I have a neck strap going to the tripod mount of the lens, and carry via the tripod mount - this is the only occasion currently that I use a neck strap.

With a very heavy 'lens' (such as my astro scope) I set the tripod up first, carry the scope to it with BOTH hands, then come back for the camera.

There have been times shooting from the hip (or overhead) that I'd use the camera only holding the body with moderately large lenses fitted, But I can't imaging trying to take a photo holding the lens but not the body - how would I reach the shutter?

On this basis I, guess the closest answer is mainly by body, even though 90%+ of shooting support is fairly equally by both. Of the remaining shooting it would be by the body only either due to only one hand available or the lens being too small. If carrying comes into it it's more difficult to judge, but I don't use the heavy lenses that much - I think the Bigmos has only been out 1 weekend since october.

15. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

... and by "properly" that means left hand palm up under the body/lens center of balance.

The first picture posted by ahuyevshi shows a reasonably good method, though using the eyelevel finder which the camera and hands against your face is even better.

His second picture shows a classic but rather poor method where there's no real support from the right hand. At least his elbows are down and close to his body. I see so many rank newbies using the "dancing crane" method* and wonder how they get decent images. I guess active image stabilization is making up for their lack of good technique.

*hold the camera with right hand turned so thumb is under lens and fingers on top and both elbows out as if extended wings while standing with feet close together.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1 (palm of left hand under body w/fingers circling around lens and right hand firmly clutching right side, front and back, of camera body)

With my elbows tucked into my chest and the EVF/camera smashed against nose and face.

17. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    Always with oth hands, one under or around the lens, the other on the body. Elbows pulled in against my body.

18. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    exactly!

one hand on the camera, one supporting the lens. it's so natural that i don't even think about it.

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What others have said - none and all of the above. Left hand to support/stabilise lens and part of the body (certainly with a small combo like an E-M5), right hand is there to operate the buttons and fire the shutter while adding a little extra stabilisation. Most of the time. I do sometimes shoot 'only body', depending very much on the lens (i.e. over the head or from the hip changes my grip on both, and neither is something I do with a large lens - noting that I do not consider the 12-35 or the 7-14 to be 'large').

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Exactly so.