How do you have your OM-D buttons customized?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bobby_t1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm using the original OM-D configuration with one change: My rear dial is for EV adj and front dial is for Aperture adj when in A-mode.

How do you have your buttons setup? I've read that some people are changing their directional-arrows to be customized, but I haven't seen the advantage of that myself.
  2. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    I would be interested in this also. I currently have all mine at default.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    SCP is on for general stuff, front dial always adjust the primary parameter (aperture in A, shutter in S) with rear dial for EV compensation/adjustment. Fn2 (top plate) is set to AF point selection, letting me select the AF point with the twin dials when I don't want to take the camera away from my face. Down arrow is drive mode, right arrow is ISO because those are the two parameters I tend to adjust most often other than the 'primaries'. Don't really use Fn1 at the moment because it's so tiny and fiddly to use.
  4. frank2001

frank2001 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2011
    I may be OT but can you have full size overexposer highlight blinking?
  5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    yes you can just press the info button until the highlight blinking mode appear in LCD or EVF.

press once : setting info mode
    press twice : level info mode
    Press third time : exposure info mode
    press fourth time : level info mode
    press again, back to setting info mode
  6. Robve

Robve New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Settings on my OMD

Hi, I have it fairly similar as mattia.
    I did change the direction of the dial, but that is simply because it felt more natural to me. I noticed a number of times, that I was turning the wrong way. I am sure it would have caught on given some more time .. , but since I have to option to change the direction, it did just that.
    I use the fn2 as quick zoom to check focus. I left the functions of the dials the way they are. I generally shoot Aperture priority and dial the exposure compensation up and down, and find that is setup perfectly in the default configuration.

I only have my OMD for about 2 weeks now, so things are still very much subject to change..
  7. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Wow, i'm definitely going to start learning more about my camera.
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I changed my movie button to MF/AF, which seems to work well. I too use right-arrow for ISO but high-ISO is so darn good with this camera I might just leave it on auto-ISO more, and change ISO when I need to via the SCP.
  9. jdm

jdm New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2012
    I just use the default configuration, that works for me.
  10. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    Fn-1 is set to magnify Fn-2 to AF point select Movie record button to ISO

Depending what mode I'm in I use the dials for aperture & shutter selection & exposure compensation.

I also use the dials to navigate af point selection as well as scrolling thru the menus when viewing in the evf.

I don't have the directional arrows set to anything though they can still be used to select AF points and moving thru the menus. When I had the arrows set to different functions I was always accidentally pressing them.
  11. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Surprised so many people have a button dedicated to ISO. Having come from a d700 and D7000, I am addicted to auto ISO. In fact, this was one of the reasons why I ultimately switched to the OM-D: it's performance on high ISO made auto ISO useable!
  12. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    I have a D700 and never used auto iso.
    I just don't like letting the camera make setting selections for me.
    Except for the times I use TTL flash being the exception.
    Even in aperture priority which I use I always keep an eye on the shutter speed
  13. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    I felt the same way until I started using it and setting the max ISO it'd use. For the D700 and D7000, I had no issue using ISO3200, and sometimes ISO6400. I'd rather get the shot at a higher ISO than risk a blurry shot (or no shot at all) at a lower ISO.

However, if I'm taking a portrait or something with strobes, I turned off auto ISO. But these was the minority of my shooting.
  14. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Thank you for your valuable input regarding Fn1 and Fn2 button on OM-D.

I also see there are 2nd Fn1 and 2nd Fn2 as known as B-Fn1 and B-Fn2...

I'm figuring out on how to obtain B-Fn1 and B-Fn2 as additional functions beside Fn1 and Fn2..

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.
  15. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I guess I'm late to the party, but I wrote up a blog post with picture examples of how I have my buttons set up. I really like this for access to just about everything I need without going into the menu. Here is the link if anyone is interested. Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. akhyar

akhyar Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    The B-Fn buttons only available if u used the battery grip
  17. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Thank you, akhyar. Interesting to learn about extra Fn1 and Fn2 buttons when coupled with battery grip. Four FnX (X= numeric value) will be cool compared to two w/o battery grip.
  18. sketchy9

sketchy9 New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2012
    After using this camera for a few weeks I decided to try shooting in M mode the vast majority of the time. I'm actually liking it, although it's a little slower to set up the shot. To that end, I've customized my buttons in the following way:

-Front dial: aperture (clockwise to make aperture larger)
    -Rear dial: shutter speed (counter clockwise to slow down shutter)
    This way I can turn both dials in the same direction (to the "right side" of the camera) to increase the EV. Having it set up this way has helped tremendously in terms of speed
    -Fn1: AEL/AFL. I use mode 3 for MF so it becomes back button focus; in AF I have it set to mode 1 so it becomes AEL
    -Rec: AF/MF switch. One touch switch for when I give the camera to someone else or just feel like putting focus back on the shutter
    -Fn2: ISO. This means that shutter, aperture, and ISO are very easy to change, which again allows me to set exposure quickly and keeps me using M mode
    -Right arrow: WB. Not super important as I shoot RAW but it's there if I want it
    -Down arrow: Drive mode

I migrated from an EPL-1 and I can't even begin to imagine how using M mode would be on that. The degree of customization is fantastic on this camera and has allowed me to explore ways of shooting that I never would have otherwise.

19. UncleVito

UncleVito Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Here's my configuration:

I'm shooting 95% of the time in Aperture mode.

- Main dial : Aparture. (in A mode) // shutterspeed in S Mode
    - Secondary dial : EV
    - Fn2 : ISO
    - Fn1 : AEL
    - Arrows : focus point selection.

I don't think it's possible at this time, but if it was, I'd love to have
    the secondary dial setup for focus point selection. I don't change EV often and I've set it to -3 most of the time, so a dedicated control for EV is to me personally not much interesting.
  20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Forgot to mention I changed dial direction as well. Felt more natural to me. I also shoot with single-shot focus and MF assist most of the time, so no need to dedicate a button to magnification; just twiddle the focus ring and it zooms in. I'll probably set magnification to Fn1 when I start shooting adapted glass a little more...