How do you do a secure camera trade?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lattiboy, Mar 30, 2012.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi all,

I have a possible trade I'd really like to do with a member with no feedback. Is there a reputable online escrow service? Should we both just pay each other the rough amount via PP and then refund when we receive the items? I've never done a non-local trade before.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I once did a deal with an unestablished person and I required them to ship first. Upon receipt/inspection I shipped their item. They weren't thrilled with that, but as I had plenty of good feedback they accepted it.

I've also heard of people doing the dual PayPal thing, but have never done it myself. Seems like a good insurance policy for 3%.

I've heard that escrow services are not so cost-effective for lower priced items, as there are usually minimum fees involved, but I have never checked in to it myself.
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Yeah, dual payments - costs you both 3% but you'd probably pay more via escrow; otherwise only deal with someone with an established reputation (also, I wouldn't necessarily consider having a post history established either, by established I mean transaction based!).
  4. bee

bee Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2012
    Its real popular on craigslist to do paypal scams. Paypal isn't safe.

All they do is call up the credit card company and say they never authorized the payment to paypal. So the credit card company takes the money back from paypal. and then paypal takes the money back from you. Paypal protects the buyer not the seller.
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    My opinion is the opposite - trust your gut. Do they seem trustworthy, intelligent and forthcoming?

Let's be realistic here. Somebody knowledgeable about Micro 4/3 gear on an obscure forum who seems like a real person is probably not a thief. Get their real name and address and call them up and have a conversation, this should be quite enough.

Between Craigslist, eBay and forums I've bought and sold at least 300 things, from cars to skateboards. The times there was a risk it was plainly obvious and I just walked away. That happened only twice. I would not let fear of the unknown keep you from trusting somebody, most people are honest.