1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you display your images?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Blue Cube Imaging, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Blue Cube Imaging

Blue Cube Imaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon, USA
    Being in the printing field I like to keep up with how people are displaying their images. Once you have taken and processed your shots what do you do with them?

Display on screen?
    Ipad?
    Print at home?
    Print through a lab?

When printing do you print at the 4:3 aspect ratio or crop to "standard" sizes?

Personally I love the 4:3 aspect so I print 4.5x6" proofs and display enlargements as 6x8", 9x12", 12x16" and 18x24". For some reason I am not a huge fan of 15x20" prints, not sure why, just a preference.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have a photo wall in my office at work. I print one photo from each place I travel to and frame it in various sizes 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10. I get cheap frames "in bulk" when they go on sale at Michael's or Aaron Bros. Usually $4.99 or so with mats.

I have an Epson Stylus 1400 printer, it does an amazing job.

For sharing with the family, I use the iPad with camera connector. It's really cool to pass it around sharing the pictures from the activity earlier that day.

For sharing remotely, my wife and I use Shutterfly:
    http://troyandmollyalloverthemap.shutterfly.com/
    www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com
    www.cottora.shutterfly.com
    www.layladog.shutterfly.com
    ... and Facebook

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I occasionally print a few shots for display around the house. I have a printer that will do 13x19 inch prints, which is generally large enough. I've sent a few out to be printed at 16x20 and even 20x30, but this was mostly just to see how well a shot from an m43 or nice compact (S90, LX5) will print at those sizes. Seems m43 looks pretty good at 20x30, the compacts are good at 16x20 but 20x30 really tests their limits. But I don't need prints that large in our condo! So generally 13x19 (A3) is it.

Other than that, I've done a couple of photobooks (8x10) and like that format a lot. I've used Apple for one larger one and Blurb for 8x10 books and its a good way to compile a "best of" and have it easily available for friends and relatives. Sort of like the old photo album but better.

But realistically, I share my stuff 90% on the web. Flickr slideshows for friends and families, and occasional images posted to forums like this and others. The web for volume, photobooks for convenience, and larger prints for the handful of shots I want to look at everyday.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My printer will do 13x19 also, but how do you display those prints as frames are almost impossible to find!

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I usually don't bother. The few that I send out to print larger I'll frame (there are plenty of adequate, cheap 16x20 frames, but the aspect ratio isn't quite right so I usually end up with some border showing). The 13x19s are generally shots that I'm gonna put up for a few weeks or a couple of months and then replace, so I generally just pin 'em up on the wall in front of my desk, where I see 'em every day until I get sick of 'em and then toss a few others up.

Its not like I'm putting any of this stuff up in museums or galleries! :cool:

-Ray

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't share much online. I find that it rarely does justice to the photographs or the subject. The exception is family snapshot stuff.

If I really want to share, or even just enjoy myself, I print. Quite a bit of 8x10, but larger stuff too, when appropriate. Some I frame, some I don't.

Actual print 'shape' / ratio depends on how I want the image to look, and what I am trying to share.

7. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    I am a fan of SmugMug. Their support staff is great, and they offer printing options thru two very decent photo labs. Customization is easy and you can set various access/viewing levels for sharing with others at a site level or within your galleries. They have both iPhone and iPad apps and the display on the devices is excellent, especially on the iPad. I've set-up a few different sub-groups that easily lets me post and share images with families and friends, my son's sports team pictures with other player's families, and in some cases to the general public. If I want something in print right away, I have a local photo lab that does a good job.

Displaying the bulk of my photos digitally is so much more convenient and easier to manage than the old days of physical photo albums. I still have a large number of older albums that I need to scan and convert to digital format, but I just haven't taken the time. However, it is nice sometimes to just sit down with a physical book of old photos in your lap sometimes, but I think you can accomplish the same thing perhaps with the new style photo books you can create in various formats and sizes and have printed thru various online vendors. I done a couple for some of the local sports teams my son plays on, and they were well received.

8. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    We're supposed to display our work? :dash2:

9. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Professional wedding photographer Print there through a lab