How do you completely turn off the OM-D rear screen?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), May 3, 2013.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    The answer is probably right under my nose, but I can't see it.

I'm running an intervalometer on my OM-D at 30 second intervals. Every time it triggers to take a photo, the rear screen turns on. And because of the 30-second intervals, it never gets a chance to turn off. Hence, battery life is lousy.

How can I simply turn off that back screen permanently while using the intervalometer?
  2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Have you tried pushing the EVF button next to the EVF to disable the screen?

The EVF might activate instead but at least it uses a lot less power than the rear screen.
  3. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    If you hold down the button on the side of the viewfinder, a menu will pop up allowing you to disable the proximity sensor.

After that, a quick press of the same switch will swap between the screen and the EVF. While the EVF is selected, the screen will be always off and vice-versa.

The battery lasts a lot longer that way :D
    • Like Like x 1
  4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I think the problem (G) is experiencing may also be the automatic picture review that comes up when his intervalometer triggers:

Menu -> spanner (wrench) icon -> rec view -> OFF.

Apart from that, as others said:

- Hold the EVF button until menu pops up - automatic EVF switch -> off
    - Press the EVF button to switch to EVF and not use the rear screen.
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    That's good. I'll add that to my Myset for Timelapse.
    Manual Focus, Manual exposure, screen off, ...
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    On my E-p2, I have programmed the fn button to turn off the LCD, but leave the camera on. Instantly available, and saves batt. Don't know if there is any such thing available on others. But it really handy.
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That last bit of juice can be milked by setting EVF adjust to lower the brightness to minimum.
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Yes! I have an E-P2 and really miss that feature on the OM-D. The feature is probably not there because the OM-D has an integrated EVF - there was another thread here with many people, me included, trying to get the E-M5 to disable both the EVF and rear screen with the EVF auto-switch, but with the auto-switch the OLED seems to never really turn itself off. I wonder if the E-P3 (and E-P5?) have that feature as well.
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Is is possible to stick something over the eye sensor so the rear screen stays off? Like a Sticky note?
    I'm doing, like the OP, time lapse sequences. Occasionally I want to look at the screen. I cant press buttons or it will tip the camera slightly. Sticking a sticky note over the eyepiece, then removing it to look at the screen might work.
    I had the battery die during an hour long sequence. So saving battery would be good.