How do you carry your GX1?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NamelessOne, Mar 17, 2012.

1. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2012
    So I just picked up a GX1 this week and brand new to the m4/3 world. I wanted something smaller/lighter as my everyday camera and really liked the GX1 after trying it out.

So my question is, what case would you recommend for it? I like the half-cases, but is there a OEM version made by Panasonic; or are they all ebay sellers from overseas?

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The only half-case I've ever owned is from my first SLR, the Nikon 2002 from the mid-1980's, and only because it came with it. I wouldn't bother with a half-case, as it adds needless bulk (unless that is what you want for the handling) and draws unwanted attention. I carry my camera on a strap around my shoulder.

3. wiley

wiley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Leaving aside the possibility that it might draw too much attention, I went with a Gariz half-case for my E-P3, and it's gorgeous. I like the extra bit of bulk that comes from the very-substantial base plate. For me, it improves the handling.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a wrist strap with a quick-release clip that attaches to a light strap I sling on my shoulder. :)

5. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    I just use the neck strap that came with the GX1. But I do like Ned's idea....

6. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2012
    This is what I've been doing so far, but I wanted a little bit of protection since the camera tends to swing sometimes and also for when I put the camera down when we go out.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's the Olympus - PEN Wrapping Case.

You said you like the half cases, but I'm more into the actual camera bags myself. The one that has my eye right now is the Lowepro | StreamLine 100. I didn't pay much heed to it until I saw it in the store, but after seeing it in person I really love how it looks and feels!

8. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Which strap are you using, Ned? I've always been curious if they made these.

I'm using the custom slr glide strap with the C-loop. I like it, but the camera can't sit flat on a surface unless you unbolt it. The strap causes the camera to swing a little (like a pendulum) since it is hanging from the lowest point on the over-the-chest strap.

9. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I agree, the Gariz case is gorgeous. I really wish Gary would make one for my Pana G3. :frown:

10. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The Gariz is top notch. Look for them on the Bay