How do you carry your GF1

ismailfaruqi

Mu-43 Regular
Hello m4/3 fellows,

Allright, for the sake of reducing my gear I bought GF1 with 20mm 1.7 pancake kit. Well, I'm quite surprised that I can't pocket it, and even I can it bulges so much. So I sold the GF1, and considering LX3 or S90 for my "carry anywhere" camera.

How do yo carry your GF1? Is GF1 your "carry anywhere" camera?

Cheers,

chasm

Mu-43 Veteran
get a better coat!

Mine fits in my pocket even with Minolta macro lens & hefty Novoflex adapter! And no, I don't look like a fisherman on his day off...

GaryCh

Mu-43 Regular
Mine fits in my pocket even with Minolta macro lens & hefty Novoflex adapter! And no, I don't look like a fisherman on his day off...
I got some baggy urban pants with many pockets, the G1 stores snugly without lens or with a borrowed pancake. My other leg carries the lenses one above other, 14-45 and 45-200.

I also have a fully weatherproof jacket with a large inner net pocket (could be a map pocket) which holds the G1 securely even with the 45-200 on as long as the sunhood is fitted backwards on the lens.

Then again, the G1 really ain't a 'pocket' camera.

-Gary

ismailfaruqi

Mu-43 Regular
Hey chasm, I really want to see your pocket with it inside :D

I think what makes m4/3 pocketable is the pancake lens... the camera, well yes but to a lesser extent. I need viewfinder, but either GF1 and E-P series is taller when the viewfinder is attached. And much more expensive than G1, which has comparable viewfinder. Well most reasonable camera for m4/3 now is G1. The other is overpriced when viewfinder option is added.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the Panasonic ever ready case for GF1 + 20mm, it is really well made and the leather is starting to soften up nicely but it still offers great protection, it has the added advantage of being able unclip the front and just use it as a half case - a well made case that is good value for the money £60.00.
I am able to fit the GF1+20mm in the case in my coat pocket so it is always with me, it is also small and light enough to carry the camera+lens in the half case under a jacket.

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
I'm a bit surprised you can't pocket the GF1 + pancake too. It is getting warmer out though and jacket pockets tend to be smaller, but in the winter it always fit fine in peacoat pocket, even with the EVF.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the optech d-small. Fits the GF1+20 nicely. I think mine has stretched a bit, it fits just about right front to back. It was a bit snug before. There's room on top, and i've fit it w/ the EVF, but only as a test. I wouldn't use it like that, too risky.

So, instead, I attach the EVF in it's case to the neck strap.

When I go specifically go shooting, I put it in my Domke F-5XB along with an extra card, battery, the 14-45, and metal hood for the 20 (mostly for protection).

I'm looking to get a wrist strap, as the neck strap is mostly annoying. Ideally, I could have both.. and automatically adjustable strap, heh.

ismailfaruqi

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm a bit surprised you can't pocket the GF1 + pancake too. It is getting warmer out though and jacket pockets tend to be smaller, but in the winter it always fit fine in peacoat pocket, even with the EVF.

I am able to fit the GF1+20mm in the case in my coat pocket so it is always with me, it is also small and light enough to carry the camera+lens in the half case under a jacket.

Well it's already spring here in Osaka... 15C and my spring coat's pocket is small, that's why I asked the question. Well maybe the answer is to buy coat with larger pocket... bag is not really my taste

AlanT

Mu-43 Regular
I don't find the GF1 a pocketable camera - it's a little too big and a little too heavy. I use a Tamrac Digital 3 (5693) case which takes the GF1+pancake nicely, and a Tamrac Digital Zoom 2 (5682) when I've got the 14-45mm or the 45-200mm lens attached.

I don't look at the GF1 as a compact camera replacement but I still carry it around most of the time as the Digital 3 case can be carried over the shoulder without really noticing that it's there.

sinophilia

Mu-43 Regular
Well, selling such a good camera just because you found out that it doesn't fit in your pockets sounds a bit weird to me!

Usually I strap it around my neck, or if I don't want to show it I put it in my very small bag together with cell phone and wallet. If I also have other lenses I take a 30x20cm video bag.

cstevens

Mu-43 Veteran
So I sold the GF1, and considering LX3 or S90 for my "carry anywhere" camera.

How do yo carry your GF1? Is GF1 your "carry anywhere" camera?

Cheers,

Not sure it matters? You sold it!

For the record, I either use a Optech case or a pano half case and chuck it in another bag.

GF1 is meant for shooting, not for storing. The LX3 is hardly pocket size either really.

Latest threads

Top Bottom