1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do you carry your camera while photographing on the street?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pratyk, May 7, 2014.

1. pratyk

pratyk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Boston, MA
    During the spring, it's been pretty easy to carry my OM-D E-M10 + Panny 20mm in my jacket pocket. However, with the advent of summer, I was wondering if there were any bags that would be suitable to carry the camera + extra batteries.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Most of the time I carry the camera in my hand, strap wrapped around my hand or over my shoulder... a camera in a bag takes no photos!! a spare battery lives in my pocket

If I am out and about with more than one lens then I use my Domke F5XZ, which has enough space for extra lenses, phone, ipad and other stuff. Its a messenger style bag and doesn't scream camera bag to all around

It works for me... your way of working may be different

cheers

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'll go with Kevin on this one - my 'carry kit' has become the E-M5 with Panasonic 20mm attached. I carry a Lens Pen, spare battery, and spare card in a shirt or trouser pocket.

If more is required I'll schlep the Domke F3-X bag. Since the Domke has basically no internal structure it wraps itself around you and so doesn't loom as large as a typical well padded bag. The downside is that there is minimal (as in "none" :biggrin:) amount of padding surrounding the kit in the bag. The F3-X does have some minimal padding in the bottom of the bag.

Currently I have the OEM strap on the E-M5 but lately it's started to bug me; I've looked at several replacements but haven't made a decision yet.

Regards,

Jim

4. pratyk

pratyk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Thanks guys. I just got the Joby Sling strap but I am tempted to get a wrist strap to use while walking around. I figured a bag could be handy when I need to stash away the camera while traveling via public transit or for day trips. I was thinking of a minimalist "murse" if you may say so. The Domke looks promising but it looks a bit .. drab.

5. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Do you not like the Joby strap? I find it works really well with my G5 + 20mm. Super easy to access and just snap away!

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I have a wrist strap from Gordy and find it work well. I don't always carry a second battery on me though. Living in Canada I always drive to a general location so I leave the camera bag in the car.

7. pratyk

pratyk Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I've only used it once but it was convenient. I envision it to be used more on hikes / etc. I spend quite some weekends away at the Cape or otherwise and I figured it'd be a good idea to not have the camera out in the open, exposed to the elements.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, that's the color I got, olive drab :biggrin:.

Looks something akin to an ammo pouch from the 1960's...

Serviceable it is, stylish it ain't.

Regards,

Jim

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    drab is good.... after all you don't want to be attracting attention :)

K

10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Camera in hand thin strap wrapped around the wrist, I nearly always carry a bag with me to carry misc stuff, meds, notebook etc.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Camera around my neck, spare battery in back pocket, spare lens in front pocket. Gotta love M4/3! :D

12. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have recently been trying the Spider Black Widow holster. With no strap of any sort on the camera. Works quite well so far.

I am not a fan of the sling straps: comfortable, yes, but. First, it is too much strap for all the camera on the end of it. Second, if I have a bag as well the combination looks idiotic, IMHO. Third, it screams DSLR and wannabe pro, which gets a reaction and not one I like.

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I agree that a sling strap is a lot of strap. Especially if it has a shoulder pad on it. (solved)
    I also agree that if you have a shoulder bag as well as the sling strap, it's bondage all the way. (solved)

Which is why I replaced the shoulder bag for a small waist pack for 1 lens, battery and accessories. In the winter these can go in a coat pocket.

Sling straps can attach in at least 3 different ways.
    • Both eylets: Camera is level
    • One eyelet: Camera is vertical. (My current preferred way.)
    • Tripod screw: Camera is upside down
    When out and about on foot or on bike, sling strap is really comfortable, both hands are free. It's only when you take it off will you notice how much strap you have. But only a problem at home. If you use a car a lot it could be a pain compared to a wrist strap. For that reason my quick release allows me to click on a wrist strap instead on the rare occasions I'm in a car. Need a car? Get a quick release!

For protection, the Olympus OM-D Wrapping cloth protects and hides the camera when on either type of strap.

14. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I have a long strap that I sometimes use as a 'sling'. But most days I don't even use that, just have the camera bare with my P14, O45 in a pocket and that's it. I got one of the smaller Thinktank holster bag things, which is a nice bag but I find I still prefer going without.

15. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I carry mine in my hand with a wrist strap - and those come from old compacts (Sony's are best) and slip it into a coat pocket when I stop for a coffee. I have in the past carried an alternate lens in another pocket but now when in town choose from the outset 14mm or 20mm usually, sometimes 45mm and stick with that for the day.

I hate the way a camera bounces around when hung around my neck. Is there a more cringe-worthy look that a bloke with his DSLR hanging round his neck and his big zoom sticking out like a ... sore thumb? (Could have got inappropriate there!)

I cannot imagine ever carrying a bag. My wife likes bags - I spend my money on camera kit.

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don't like carrying a camera around my neck, so I used to wrap the camera strap around my wrist and only put it around my neck when I needed both hands for something. Last year I bought a Gordy's wrist strap after looking at lots of different ones. I settled on the Gordy because I liked the simple leather strap look. I have been pretty happy with this set up. I normally just put one lens on the camera and sometimes carry a second one in a pocket. If I really want to have my stuff with my, I have a small Tamrac bag that I carry over my shoulder like a sling, because for some reason I can't keep any bag just on one shoulder, they always slip off.

So, short answer, Gordy wrist strap for me, with an extra lens in a pocket. Or my tiny Tamrac bag if I feel I must have more stuff with me on the walk about.

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It depends. If I'm out to shoot,then it's in my hand on a wrist strap. If I'm out for some other reason but want to take the camera, I have a Domke FXA, a very small olive-colored bag which can hold the EM5 and a single extra lens.

18. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I use a Joby wrist strap on the camera. If I'm going to be using the camera and swapping lenses frequently, I use the Tamrac Apache 4 messenger bag. If I'm on a hike or something where I'm not using the camera as much, I carry it in my Deuter Speedlite 15 (I think that's the number) daypack. I keep a lens in each water bottle pocket for easier swapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

strap around my wrist.

20. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I use a para-cord weaved wrist strap, and when the camera is not in use, I carry it in Domke F5XB bag. I like the fact that it looks drab and nondescript, but it does work well and comfortable to carry on the shoulder.