How do you carry your camera and lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gargamel, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Gargamel

Gargamel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2015
    I love to travel light and compact. For now i was using Olympus EPL-3 with 1 lens (45mm 1.8 or 14-42mm IIR), sometimes i had a second lens in my multipurpose backpack but i almost never took it out.

Now i'm buying OM-D M10 and Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens (compact and powerfull...yey), but would like to carry 45mm 1.8 lens and maybe one day a wide one too (Panasonic 14mm). I usually carry my camera on my shoulder and i don't use extra camera bag at all. I have a normal backpack and i put lenses and Gorillapod in there. Problem is, if my lenses are in my backpack i simply don't use them. Too much trouble to get them out and change a lens.

So my question is: how do you carry your camera and up to two extra lenses? Show me your solutions, bags, ideas. I'm going for compact lenses (pancake) so i can just put them in my pocket...that is one way to go (except 45mm). Or if there is such a thing as a belt for pants with pockets for small lenses with quick access.
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I normally have them in padding in my normal backpack for transit, and move them to jacket pockets during shooting. Can't do that in warm weather unfortunately, don't have a solution there yet...
  3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I carry a tactical sling bag. It's comfortable, light, easy to access (unlike backpacks), doesn't scream (CAMERA BAG) and has lots of pockets for lenses, fliters, batteries, even drinks, etc. Mainly because I carry the larger lenses too. If I only had the 45 and 14-42 or a pancake, I'd just put them in a pocket maybe, depending what I was doing. These are good for hiking, biking or just walking about with my dogs, so I can have my camera if needed. I don't like walking bout with a camera around my neck...that is how I lost my eyecup too. I might add a smaller bag for when I just need a camera and one extra lens like the Crumplers eventually, but I like this one. My dad got the same one after he saw mine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Lately, I just have a Micro 4/3 camera hanging on my neck with a short tele lens, and a Ricoh GR in my pocket.

If I want my other lenses with me, I always use a small camera bag. I could fit them in pockets, BUT the camera bag (with shoulder strap) is useful as a changing table. Swing the bag around to my belly, pull out lens, close bag, put camera + lens on top of bag and switch lenses.
  5. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    If you're not too averse to a "fanny pack" stigma, a simple waist-pack is the most versatile (wearing it on your hip instead of front or back looks a lot less 'dorky'). I did that with my family at Disneyland with a GM1, 12-32, P20, and O45. It was perfect. I have a small carabiner on my GM1, and I'll often leave the house with the thing (with 12-32 or P20 pancake) dangling from my belt and otherwise naked.
  6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I have a few different options I use depending on what I am going to carry and and where.

If I am hiking I opt for a sling style backpack, something like a Lowepro Slingshot or Think Tank Trifecta

I have both DSLR and m43 gear, so different sizes depending on the gear I use.

I also have Maxpedition Versipacks, like @Wisertime@Wisertime had mentioned. I use them for short walks or times when I'm going really light or into a shady area.
    I have a "Jumbo" (medium size) and a "Mongo" (larger size). I just added in a $30 camera bag insert from Amazon to each and have dividers and padding. I can fit a small DSLR in there or a lot of mirorless gear.

Here is a review I did of the Jumbo that I use:

Another option you might like if the messenger bag series is more you might be a Think tank Retrospective. I have a Retro 10 and love it!

Most important thing....try and find a place that has them and check them out. I am horrible at sizing from specs off the web, so I go to my local camera shop and investigate from time to time.
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I don't actually use it for mFT gear at the moment, but the Cosyspeed Camslinger 160 is really handy as a walkaround bag - I usually carry the LX100, the GR (for ultimate IQ and quick candids) and a cheap point and shoot (only for reach in a pinch) plus two extra batteries this way.

The bag sits low on your hip, perfect for grabbing the camera(s) quickly. I just tried putting in the E-M10 with small primes - you can take three (one attached, two extra if you don't mind stacking them directly on top of each other). The bag also fits the E-PL7 with the 14-150mm II zoom attached and the 17mm f/1.8 alongside it (for low light and small size).

8. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    For 1 lens on a body and 1 extra lens I use this.

This thread might be better off here?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I have 2 bags - a ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20 and a MM 30i. The MM 20 easily holds my E-M10, 12-40, 7.5 fisheye and 40-150 f4.0-5.6 R, plus a spare battery, a couple of filters and auto extension tubes. The MM 30i holds all the same stuff except the 40-150 is the f2.8 Pro with hood. Both bags are normally used with a 1-3/4" tactical belt instead of shoulder strap. I can zip either bag shut and wear it at the small of my back; if it's cinched up tight, I can even run with it for a short distance. The case can be slid around to my belly for lens changes or to stow/unstow the camera. Most cases just let you use a shoulder strap, which gets hard on the shoulder and neck muscles by the end of the day.
  10. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have the Domke F5XA for the EM1(or EM10) and a few lenses and the tiny Crumpler Pleasure Dome shoulder bag for the GM1, 12-32 and 35-100. I paid $9.95 for the Crumpler at B&H.
  12. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    In 1984 I was hiking in Colorado. I had ALL my camera gear with me on that trip. Two cameras around my neck and a bag full of lenses and what would not fit into the bag was stored in the trunk of my car. (Hey, it was the first time I had actually taken a vacation in 14 years and I was going to use everything.) While we were hiking up to some elevations, several times I put the bag down to concentrate on some shots. I kept moving as one shot led to another as sometimes happens. One camera had B&W and the other had Kodachrome 64 and I was alternating between the two. After a while I realized I was more than 30 feet away from my bag of lenses and I scrambled back to retrieve them. I also left them in a restaurant once.

The very next year, on a trip to Colonial Williamsburg Virginia, my lady and I were walking across one of the lawn areas late at night and a guy ran up behind us and as we were on grass we did not hear him. He shoved me down from behind then using some sort of blade cut through her camera bag strap and made off with her camera equipment. This was our second negative experience associated with carrying a camera bag.

Based on several of our trips I learned that I did not use most of my lenses so there was no need to carry all of them and related filters. To keep from leaving the bag or getting ripped off, I purchased a photographers vest. I could load everything including three extra lenses and filters etc into the vest. Since I was taking film I was also keeping track of my camera settings so I was carrying my shot book.

Now I wear a denim jacket. The Wrangler brand denim jacket has very deep inside pockets that easily hold my E-M10 or Pentax Q7. The camera goes in one pocket and a lens or two easily fits into the other. The outside front pockets hold lens filters, batteries and media storage cards and in most environments I easily blend in and am not noticed as a “photographer”. When I attend motorcycle events I wear a vest that is the same Wrangler jacket with the sleeves removed. Again I blend in. I did not have my E-M10 at the time this was taken but from this photo can you tell that I was carrying my Pentax Q7 and two extra lenses? [​IMG]

However, twice I have been patted down by security at events to verify that I was not carrying a gun.

When I do carry a camera “bag”, which is only during our 100 plus degree temperatures and I cannot wear the denim jacket or vest, I wear a small bag such those I described in and it is attached to my belt.
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think almost any small camera pouch would hold any of those lenses just fine. Most of those have belt loops. Your call on whether you want two lenses in one pouch or two pouches.

I currently use a very small shoulder bag, but I'm shopping for better ideas myself.
  14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I use inserts in the messenger bags that I carry daily. I normally carry only 1 - 2 lenses.
  15. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    :dance3: Exports-16. Perhaps the most economical way of carrying your gear is this outfit I found at Target.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Taz trooper

Taz trooper Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2015
    Cambridge, UK
    Likewise I use a slingpack - mine's a cheap 7dayshop Urban Slinger (see
    This contains my GF6, Oly OM 50mm f3.5, Oly OM 135mm f2.8 and 9mm f8 BCL (in neoprene sleeves) with spare battery and cleaning gear. It doesn't shout camera bag and it's not too large to fit too much in and get too heavy like I tend to do with my 4/3 SLR gear.
  17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Tenba large messenger bag. Room in the back for the Macbook and room inside for 2 bodies, 3-4 lenses, charger, batteries, cards, CPL, and ND.
  18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    When out and about, I use a Think Tank mm10 on my belt for the body and 12-40mm and BCL, and if I'm carrying more lenses, I'll carry small belt pouches for them.

I keep the body on a sling strap, btw.

19. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Personally, I go the waist bag way. I have 3 different sizes and choose to fit my needs, though the largest almost never sees the light of day...

My every day bag is a cheap "fanny pak" that I bought at CVS for $5-6USD. I holds my Pany G-1 with 14-45mm, a closeup diopter, spare SD cards, lens cleaning stuff, and a few other items. My "large" bag is a quarter century old and will hold the Pany & kit lens and little accessories along with a second lens up to about 6" long plus my 8" Windows tablet. I can also use the second lens section for my pano bracket and a decent clamp. The "huge" stay-at-home is also some 30 years old and originally held two Nikon bodies and five lenses including my old 300mm f/4.5. It's primarily a storage container these days.
  20. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I've used a small waist pack sometimes when carrying 1 body and a couple of lenses. Body is usually carried on a sling. I've also used little neoprene lens cases with carabiners and just snapped them on my belt. If it's jacket weather you can slip those lenses into a pocket easily. And in casual settings or hiking I sometimes wear cargo shorts or pants and stick a lens or two in pockets. And folks here have given some good suggestions for small bags.