How do you carry the lens mounted glass filters?

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I hate tossing them into the bottom of the camera case, and I hate keeping them in their original packaging. What's the best way to deal with these things?

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
How many glass filters do you usually carry with you? I normally take a couple of polarisers in different sizes along with three or four step-up rings so that I can cover all my lens' filter threads. I don't use the original plastic boxes as they're too big, but I've got a number of the older, round boxes, that filters used to come in. (You can usually pick these up cheaply at second hand equipment fairs.) I then slip the filters and step-up rings into the flat rear pocket on my bags or in the laptop/tablet pocket, which in my case is otherwise unused.

If I need any other filters, such as grads etc. I use square resin filters in a filter holder, but these do take up space in the bag. Most of the time I prefer to apply graduated filters in post.

DaveJP

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Plumb
You could also put the filters individually into clear, zip-lock plastic bags; not much protection, but no additional bulk or weight. However, if you used the laptop/tablet pocket in your bag, as I do, they would be well protected.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Like @Hannety I love metal stack caps and typically I am not carrying around a boat load of filters or lenses. So if, for example, I am going out with my 12-100 PRO or old 4/3rds 12-60 SWD which both use 72mm filters, I can easily screw together a polarizer and a 3-stop ND filter with metal caps on both sides which can be carried in a pocket or bag and is a super resistance to damage (even when you have it in your back pocket and sit on it, your butt is what hurts).

Here is an example of one from Amazon for 67mm...
https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-67mm-...words=filter+stack+caps&qid=1580852811&sr=8-7

I find these especially convenience when I am just going out with camera, one lens, no bag and can put a spare battery and my filter or two in my jeans' pocket.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom