How do you access MF with your Olympus camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yong, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I use E-P5 and love its almost every aspects, except MF accessibility.

Generally I don't bother with MF thanks to its super fast AF speed and touch screen shutter release, but in very dim light environment E-P5 begins to hunt on focusing and often fails. This is where MF kicks in.
    The problem is its accessibility. I leave focus settings to AF+MF so I can get MF by grabbing MF ring. But when I focus manually and then try to release the shutter, half-way shutters makes camera trying AF which ruins already nailed focus, and it hunts on focusing, then fails in the end. It's not effective.

I do this: half-way press the shutter, wait and see till AF reports failure eventually, then focus manually by grabbing focus ring, while I keeping my finger on the shutter all the way. But surely this doesn't looks so smart.

How do you access MF with your gears? I know if there is better way to do manual focusing.

2. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    any ideas?

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    What lenses are we talking about? The AF hunting might have something to do with the maximum aperture of the lens - if it's a slow lens, the AF system's got a tougher job.

Just as a confirmation: Your way of handling things actually works and seems to be what you have to do if you use AF+MF (I do the same). And I agree that it's a bit clumsy, but at least it's something you can get accustomed to - half-press shutter, use MF, full-press shutter. If you wait for AF to fail is up to you.

Anyway, if MF is this important to you, I'd suggest putting MF on one of the Fn buttons - it's possible on my E-PL7, so it really should be on an E-P5.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I have both EM-5s. I have remapped AF to one of the function buttons (Fn2, in both cases) and use mostly S-AF + MF. This way I still use the index finger to focus, have the convenience of overriding auto focus at will and not messing up focus with the shutter press (which still enables IS). So my workflow is to AF on my subject (Fn2), then, if I need to go to MF a half press of the shutter turns on IS and manipulating the focus ring gets a magnified view for focusing. For legacy lenses I have another button programmed to turn on viewfinder magnification. I have never been able to focus this accurately and easily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I have the two way switch set to MF mode on my E-P5. Lever function "mode 4".

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I don't like AF+MF mode (particularly if set to magnify as well)... I found I used to accidentally would knock the MF ring and the magnify would come up when I don't want it to. And as you mentioned, you need to first autofocus and then twist the MF ring. On my EM1 I have MF set to the position 2 on the lever. Automatic magnify and focus peaking when focus ring is turned on MF.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    On my E-M1, I have set the Fn1 button (the one right near your right thumb) to toggle between MF and AF.

8. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    On my EP5, I have the MF set to the magnify button. When I tap it and turn the focus ring on the lens, the focus peaking comes on assisting in focusing. Press the shutter to take a picture.

9. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I do the same as Hendrik. AF on one of the fn buttons and metering/shutter release on the shutter button. It means one more step when using AF, but once you retrain your muscle memory, it works well in most situations.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Thanks for comments. Method of assigning AF to dedicated button looks really cool and solved my problem(I set AF to REC button). Now I can go either AF or MF whenever I want. I didn't know that the setting is even possible. great!

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Slide the Pro lenses' clutch from AF to MF position.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I leave it in MF and use back button focus, flick the lever and it's AF-C.

13. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    I shoot with an EM1. One of my favorite things about many Olympus bodies is the lever on the back of the camera. The lever sits at a spot where it can be reached by my thumb while my eye is in the viewfinder, which is perfect. I have the lever set to switch from Auto Focus to Manual Focus. When I first got my EM1, I was new to Olympus and I thought the lever was a needless feature. Instead, it became a reason why I love my camera.

My main lens is the 12-40 Pro, which has a clutch to switch from auto to manual focus, but honestly, I'd rather just flip that lever with my thumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Actually it does work quite well. Using your AF-MF setting, with the shutter pressed half way and the lens starts hunting, start focusing the lens manually but DO NOT lift up on the shutter. Once you have the focus the way you want it then finish pressing the shutter all the way down. It sounds like you are lifting you finger off the shutter button causing it to ignore your manual focus and letting it continue hunting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    EM1

rear (thumb) toggle switch goes from AF to MF

press the button in MF mode and its an af-acquisition. press the button in AF mode and it becomse AEL

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I use my Fn1 button for MF on my E-PL5, and I have magnification disabled because it jumbles everything up at 14x at 300mm and is useless. My Kodak S1 only goes 7x and is more useable. My GM1 has focus peaking and magnification is also disabled.

17. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    On E-PM2, I set the red-dot video record button to toggle AF/MF.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    On my E-M5, I have the REC button configured to toggle between AF+MF (so AF, unless I twist the focus ring) and MF only. :)

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The rec button is also my favorite assigned MF button on several bodies.

20. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Piling on with other responses. EM10 for me

Red Record button swaps between AF-S+MF and MF
    Focus assist (magnify/peaking when focus ring is moved) is turned off
    Fn2 is set for magnify