1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do people assign their function buttons?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamespetts, Oct 28, 2012.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I should be interested in people's experiences of assigning function buttons, and how they use the buttons assigned.

I have an E-P3, and have FN1 assigned to manual focus and FN2 assigned to depth of field preview. Until recently, I had FN1 assigned to AEL, but found that I never used it (preferring instead to use exposure compensation and the histogram to perfect exposure when the automatic mode does not quite get it right, to which I have assigned the thumb wheel - I do rather miss the Canon G10's dedicated exposure compensation dial), and also found that it would be helpful on occasions to be able to switch to manual focus mode quickly, as, even though I use AF-S+M mode for focussing usually, the camera has to acquire focus before the shot will take and before one can adjust using manual in that mode, which can induce delay.

What do other people do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Region2

Region2 New to Mu-43

Sep 30, 2012
    New York, NY
    Thanks for posting this, this was something I was curious about myself.

At the moment I have my OMD EM5 to fn2 as multi (currently set at magnify) and fnl1 as AEL with the down button as WB and right as iso.

I'm liking this combo, but I haven't had the camera long enough to really ascertain if I like this configuration as my ideal setting and would love to read how others have it set. Particularly on multiple cameras (would people keep settings as similar as possible or different to shoot the shooting style with the body).

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Fn1 = AEL/AFL (mode 3 - Fn1 is my AF focus button)
    Fn2 = Multifunction set to Highlight/Shadow Compensation
    Red = ISO
    Shutter Release half-press = AEL

Easiest combo for me to focus, meter, re-compose and shoot with the OM-D.

Gary

PS- Typically I shoot with two OM-D's, (wide on one, long on the other), and try to keep them set identically. I find it terribly annoying if they are different.
    G

4. etherfarm

etherfarm New to Mu-43

Oct 11, 2012
    FN1 = AEL/AFL
    FN2 = Magnify
    FN3 = ISO

Front dial is always coupled with the exposure parameter most relevant to the shooting mode (so in A, aperture, S, shutter speed), back dial is exp. compensation. In M, front dial is aperture, back dial is shutter speed. I shoot in M or A 99% of the time.

Basically, my goal was to have all buttons and dials work with direct access to parameters relevant to shooting. I like the idea (and to some extent the implementation) of the multifunction button but in practice, by the time the camera's to my eye, I want to take a shot, not play with menus.

I like that the OMD is customizable enough that you can turn off a lot of it :).

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    On the E-P3:

Red "movie" button - AF
    Shutter half-press - Meter/exposure lock
    Fn1 - Depth of Field preview
    Fn2 - return AF box to center position

I usually shoot in A, with the thumb dial set to Exposure Compensation.