How do left handed users get on with right handed cameras ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I was just thinking the other day about the fact that cameras like many things in life are primarily deigned predominantly for right handed people and was wondering how left handed users get on with cameras especially those with protruding grips
    Is this something that you have simply just gotten used to and give little thought to now - or is it a little annoying trying to use equipment that might not be ideally suited to your use
    Would a camera with a grip the other way around and other ergonomics being changed around make much difference to you ?
    I note that most people seem to use their right eye for viewfinders ? whereas I (I am right handed) use my left eye
    Someone mentioned in a thread about their hopes for the GX2 that they hoped for a left side mounted VF to avoid 'nose scraping' on the LCD
    With the VF that way around it would actually be the 'wrong' way around for me so I can sympathise to some extent with everything being the 'wrong way around'
    (My left eye use of viewfinders does have an advantage sometimes - I can fold out the LCD screen on a G5 and use my left hand to guide the focus points using the Touch Tab facility whilst looking through the VF with my left eye which works very well)
    It does not seem that any of the manufacturers have ever considered making right handed and left handed cameras.
    Perhaps there is no need or requirement from those that would use left handed versions if they were made available ?
    Your thoughts please?
  2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Absolutely fine.

We learn to use them because there is generally no alternative so if you were to give someone a "left handed" camera it would be massively more of an inconvenience to use.

When I was at school there was no left handed hockey sticks and consequently, when I did pick one up at a sports shop one time, I couldn't for the life of me hold it comfortably the correct way. Same with golf clubs.
  3. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Well, cameras are not that bad, since both hands can be put to good use. I do enjoy the touch screen on the GX1 as I can use my left more often.

There are a lot of other things where being left handed is much, much more of a nuisance than cameras.
  4. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm a lefty and I have no problem using any camera. I guess I'm not really a lefty but somewhat ambidextrous.
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Im a lefty, and since theres no "lefty" cameras in history of cameras (or not that im aware of) cant tell you. but ive been shooting without a problem for years.
  6. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    As you pointed out, most things in life are designed for right handed people. Although I am left handed, like everyone else, I grew up using right handed designs and don't really even think about it (other than spiral notebooks where I write upside down on the odd pages to avoid the spiral). You just deal with it when you pick up something and eventually it becomes second nature. Consequently, at this point in my life, I am not sure that I would like a left handed camera.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I think Nikon's made one or two in the past. Custom, not production, but still. There's a half-frame film camera that came in a left version out there somewhere as well.
  8. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I'm left handed, never been an issue for me.
  9. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm a lefty, too, and have had no problems with using cameras.
  10. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    The real pain in the bum are rf styled cameras...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I am right-handed but I taught myself to use a computer mouse with my left hand so that I could operate the keyboard and number pad or write with my right hand at the same time. This is while using mostly CAD software which requires fairly precise control. I figure that I could probably do something similar in reverse with a camera if I was left-handed. I have actually shot a camera using just my left hand. It was somewhat awkward :)
  12. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Both my son and I are lefties, and growing up in a right handed world you pretty much learn to use your right hand, or get the creepy green handed scissors... At 40 I can pretty much use either hand for writing, eating, and photography :p
  13. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    As a southpaw, you get used to a right handed world and you adapt as necessary. I'm just about ambidextrous these days. So, no issues with cameras! :smile:
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I don't think cameras are right handed. Except formaybe compacts with a motorised zoom. With most "serious" cameras both hands are needed to operate the controls whether it be the zoom, focus or shutter controls. Even when accessing the menus the design makes it easier to grip with the right and push buttons with the left.

As for Rf viewfinders. I'm a left eyed SLR shooter. When I got my Leica I started with my left eye and didn't enjoy it. So I switched to my right eye and practised enough that it's now completely natural for me to shoot a RF with my right eye. I still use my left on the EM5 though. I often have a Leica on one shoulder and an EM5 on the rother and have no issues swapping from one to the other many times over a shooting day.

p.s. I also learned to use a mouse left handed during a shoulder injury. Now I'm mouse ambidextrous as well.
  15. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Check out the Exakta models. They were the first 35mm SLRs (Kine Exakta) and their 35mm design decended from their earlier 127 SLR, the Exakta VP. They had both the release and wind on the opposite side from that which became the convention. Also, Iloca made a few RF 35mm cameras, two sold through Sears, with a lefthanded wind lever though a righthanded release.

I'm very strongly left handed. I use my mouse with my left hand and keep real lefthanded sissors (lefthanded blades, not just lefthanded or ambi grips) around. At the same time, I get along well with the conventional camera control arrangement. True, I did begin long, long ago (50yr+) when cameras required a two handed approach, left to deal with the lens (aperture and focus) and the right to deal with the body (shutter speed, release, and wind). Focusing has always been best with my left hand, the one reserved for detail work. My right is the better gripping hand. I hold my Kindle in my right also. This frees my good left for more important things (e.g. lifting my cup of coffee, using utensils to eat, using fingers to eat, ...).
  16. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    lefty camera

While of course most cameras are designed for right handed operation there were some that would work equally well for left handed use. Check out the Rollei SL2000F. Two shutter buttons, one on each side. Same with most Rollei medium format cameras.
  17. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I'm a southpaw and I want some things to be specifically designed for me. I started using 35mm equipment in the '60's and don't think I ever thought about cameras not being designed for me until I read this today. Obviously I adapted and am getting along fine.