1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How do I turn off my camera body flash when using RC?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bikepoloplayer, Dec 29, 2013.

1. bikepoloplayer

bikepoloplayer New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Minnesota
    Hello everyone,

First post here, just registered yesterday. I've had my e-p5 since ...September I think, it's "replacing" my Canon G-11 which was just too slow and didn't have the lens magnicication for my kid's soccer games. Love it! a bit out of my league at times, I find my self resetting to factory settings to undo whatever mess i've created in the camera sometimes. Perhaps that's my problem now, I haven't tried that yet, but I have updated the firmware, so firmware should not be the problem. there weren't any firmware updates for any of my accessories (lenses, flash, evf)

I recieved a FL-300R for christmas, and i'm just messing with it now. I'd like to be able to fire JUST the remote flash, and NOT have the camera body flash fire.

I can see the settings in the menu where I turn off the camera flash, but it still fires even though it says "OFF".

Please help!

I thought remote flash capability would be possible in auto mode, but it is not. It would be nice, but not completely necessary.

I LOOOOOVE what this camera can do without any flash, just gorgeous light capture. But I want the option, and to learn how to use off camera flash well, as I've never had the option before.

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Ahh, it has to fire at some point, as the signalling for the remote control is optical. However, the control firing (that you are seeing in "off" mode) should not affect the final picture, as this occurs a fraction of a second before the shutter is opened; the actual firing from your FL-300R occurring a very short time later to coincide with the opening of the shutter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Yes what James said is right, this is the way that the Olympus RC Flash Mode works by detecting the signal flash from the camera body flash, it should not effect the photo taken at the time.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is true, although if it is critical & close there might be a little light persistence from that flash, but not for for most situations. If it is critical (like photographing a reflective object), a white card to deflect the camera's flash light can be effective. The RC flash triggering is done with that flash signal which is a coded flash sequence (so it can't be triggered by another flash) & not one single flash pulse.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, this trips lots of people up - myself included when I first started playing with remote flash on m4/3. The "wireless" just means literally no wires, doesn't mean radio signals like most of us assume from that term nowadays. This is the same way wireless flash control works with Nikon and Canon, at least up until the latest Canon 600EX-RT flash system which finally switched to radio triggering.

Anyway, there are a few options at this point (short of switching to a true IR or radio trigger system):

1) Live with the on-camera flash projecting at least some light forward onto the subject. It's minimal flash output for the RC signals, but it can still show up on your subject if you're close up.

2) Bounce the flash off the ceiling by folding the flash back. In most rooms it'll probably still reflect enough to trigger the remote flash but not point it forward onto the subject.

3) Use an IR filter to block more of the visible light from spilling forward. Nikon makes one that fits in a hot-shoe for cameras with center-mount flash, but there's no commercial product I've been able to find for a side-mount pop-up flash like the E-P5 unfortunately. Some people have used pieces of IR film or combined a couple different colored gels, which blocks most of the visible light but lets enough IR through to trigger the remote flash.

6. bikepoloplayer

bikepoloplayer New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2013
    Minnesota
    thank you everyone. I was going bonkers trying to figure this out.
    Sounds like it was working fine all the while, I just couldn't differentiate between timings of flashes, & shutters. I'll have to look closely at photos taken both with flash "on" and "off".
    the built in flash on camera body isn't tilt-able, one of the few drawbacks to this model. If it was, i'd probably have postponed putting the flash on my wishlist for a year or so.

thank you again,

John