How do I tell I am at infinity on my Olympus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by James23p, Jan 18, 2016.

1. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    When using my 14-42R II or 17 f2.8 how do I tell I am at infinity since it is focus by wire with no depth window or stop. Is there a way when I shot long night exposures it sure would be nice to just set it to infinity.

Thanks Jim

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You can't! Welcome to focus by wire! Best approach is to use MF on magnified view and then leave it there. Ideally, set AF mode to use back-button focusing and then switch it back to AF after focusing - that way if you touch the focus ring after you've set it then it won't change anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Ok well that solves that one. In the dark MF is tough even when magnified I guess I will have to trial and error and set my f stop around f8 to get maximum DoF. :hmmm:

Jim

4. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    This was another deal breaker for me when I was trying out the em5ii. Panasonic has a MF guide that shows stops. I was left dumbfounded trying to set up a shot for use with live bulb.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I presume one is outdoors (since you want to focus on infinity), and I have never been outdoors in the dark where there isn't something bright in the distance to focus on, such as a lamp. Or even the moon.

And if you are getting serious about this mode of photography, there are several Olympus lenses with distance markers on the barrel, if you can read it in the dark (!). Or maybe a cheap manual lens on an adapter -- if indeed not one of your Nikons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

depends on a few things (like focal length), but I use with reasonable success a green laser pointer to provide a dot on something at a "reasonable distance" ... it shows up nicely in the frame and to be honest 30meters VS really infinity is moot.

Or the moon if its present and just reframe

• Like Like x 2
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    One dumb question: if I turn all the way in the right direction doesn't it stop at infinity? It goes beyond? If so, why this?
    I get that you cannot place a hard stop externally, but why no internally?

8. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    When you turns your focus ring to further distance side all the way, it would go beyond infinity and everything becomes blurry. Every lenses I have/had showed that behavior so I assume it's how it is as M4/3 lens.
    I don't know why, but I suspect it's due to the nature of contrast-detect AF. If one need to focus on infinity with CDAF, focusing glass should need to be moveable back and forth around infinity I guess.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1. CDAF needs to go beyond infinity.
    2. No need to fine tune and recalibrate infinity for every lens specimen, at every aperture, at every focal length (for zoom), over time (cheaper and simpler for manufacturer and you).

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I believe you can the set the camera up so it resets to infinity when you turn the camera on, then switch to MF and it should stay there unless you touch focus ring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Wow great stuff I need to try the laser pointer and to see in the manual on setting up the camera to start up at infinity. I have the Video button set to MF since I hardly ever shoot video so both of these may work and I agree at 30 feet it is mute especially if shooting at f8.

Jim

12. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Never thought of the Moon another great thought! Wow thanks.

Jim

13. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    The more I read the more I learn yes I do indeed have a ton of old MF Nikkors that would fit the bill and the F to M4/3 converter is not very expensive!

You guys are a treasure trove of info! :yahoo:

Many Thanks Jim

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    even at f2.8

plug the numbers into this calculator http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

the graph is informative

small point meters = yards not feet :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  15. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Even on an MF lens, I'm not sure the infinity mark would be exact.
    It's not on the MF lenses I have (maybe it is for more serious lenses)

The best way to achieve infinity focusing where there is nothing to focus on is what EdH said:
    On Olympus bodies, this option can be very useful.
    Just set the option is the correct menu, and then, when you turn off / on the body, your lens will be set (approximately) at infinity.

16. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    Will have to try that thanks!

Jim

17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yep, if you're using a manual focus lens with an adapter, it is very likely that there will be very small tolerance build-ups (tenths of mm) that will mean that the infinity mark on the lens is not exactly at infinity on your camera.

The easily solution to this is to keep a specific adapter for each lens (they're only $10) mount the lens on the camera, focus on a known infinity point in good light (or on the moon, at night), and then make a mark on the distance scale for where "true infinity" is and just go by that.

18. James23p

James23p Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2015
    James
    To be honest the lens I would most like use is my 14 f2.8 So that would be doable.

Jim

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    the Panasonic 14mm (which is 2.5) or another one?

Either way if you test with that tabware site you'll see that at f2.8 focus from 30 feet even is focus to infinity :)

20. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    One not recommended suggestion: pressing the button to unlock the lens reset the lens. So I suppose you get infinity focus (the focus changes, it's dark so I cannot verify it now). I'm quite sure there is no harm in doing this, but I'm also sure that the manual recommend to turn off the camera before removing lenses. So...at your own risk...

• Like Like x 1