1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I...obtain statistics of a collection of pictures?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Zeus1, Oct 4, 2016.

1. I would like to obtain statistical data on a large collection of pictures (e.g. distribution with mean and/or median of ISO used, diaphragm, lens mm...), type of camera used.
    This software must be able to recognize jpg, RW2 and ORF files and run on Apple Macs (OSX).
    Years ago, I used "Photostats", but it seems this program has not been updated recently and it only recognizes Nikon, Canon and jpg files.
    Suggestions?

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I haven't used it in sometime, but Adobe Bridge used to come with PS Elements which I ran in my Mac and when selecting a folder pf photos could show you certain stats like focal lengths used, etc. Looks like it is now a free download...
    Digital asset management software | Download free Adobe Bridge CC trial

No idea of its current abilities but now that you made me think about it again, I may have to download the latest version and see what's up with it.

3. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I have used (pay what you like) plugins by Jeffrey Friedl, in Lightroom, to extract the data. You'd then need something else (Excel, or some maths software like Minitab or Matlab) to do any analysis.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. @algold@algold:
    Tried Exif Viewer, but the app freezes when loading more than 70 ORF or RW2 files. Waiting for an answer from the developer.

@PakkyT@PakkyT:
    Will try Bridge, never used it before, I use Media Pro as cataloguer.

@coffeecat@coffeecat:
    Don't use Lightroom (instedad use Media Pro with Photoshop). I visited Jeffrey Friedl's page but only found Lightroom plugins.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I never used it, Bridge, as a cataloger myself but did find the ability to look at a bunch of shots for common exif stuff was useful a couple of times. One time I was thinking about a certain zoom lens and used Bridge on a folder of vacation photos (because it was a lot of shots over a wide range of unrelated shooting situations) to find out what focal lengths do I really shoot at most. It worked pretty well for that. I am not sure how the other EXIF fields show (aperture, shutter speed, etc.). But hey, it's free.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The command line version of exiftool can do it... I've run it on a very large mp3 collection and output to TAB-delimited text and then loaded that into MySQL or Excel.

I can post my script when I'm home, if you reply.

8. nancyr

nancyr Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2014
    San Diego
    Nancy
    MediaPro should be able to export fields of your choice to a text file (or XML) that you can then manipulate in Excel. And exiftool can do just about anything!

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Found it... this .bat file is for MP3's, so you'd have to change the field names:
    Code:
    c:\utils\exiftool.exe -config "c:\utils\exiftool.conf" -r -ext mp3 -T -Title -Artist -Album -Directory -FileName -OriginalArtist -Composer -Genre  -Duration# -Track  -Year -DateTimeOriginal -OriginalReleaseYear -Comment  -FileSize  -FileType  -FileCreateDate -FileModifyDate  -RecordingTime  -AudioBitrate -EncodedBy -Encoder -EncoderSettings -EncodingTime  -LameMethod -LameVBRQuality -PictureType -SampleRate  -Error "i:/Music DLs/" > "I-music-dls.tab"
    It would work on OSX or Linux as well, just fix the paths in the first 2 parts.

There's more examples, including ones for photos, on the EXIFTool docs pages:
    ExifTool FAQ

If anyone gets something working, please post it.

10. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  11. TXS to everybody for Your suggestions. In the end it was "nancyr" who gave me the answer: Media Pro, software I already used.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

You might want to take a look at the ACDSee Dashboard that is a new tab in ACDSee 20, ACDSee Pro 10 and ACDSee Ultimate 10, it is capable of generating these types of statistics. It's new, and doesn't cover many statistics at this point, but I think some people will find it useful. It's a step in the right direction!

full.

• Like Like x 1