1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I make PP editors recognize portrait (vertical) photos?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I understand that the first generation Pannys don't have some kind of sensor that tags photos taken in portrait (vertical) camera position. Still, is there a way to make PP editors recognize portrait (vertical) photos?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you rotate the JPEGs in camera, all editors will recognize it. Otherwise, it depends on the editor. There's no general way to it for RAW.

The issue isn't 1st vs. 2nd generation. The only Panasonic model with an orientation sensor is the GX1. For all other Panasonics, the orientation is determined using the OIS mechanism in the lens. If the lens lacks OIS (e.g. the 20/1.7), no orientation is recorded and everything ends up in landscape mode.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    That answered a question I have had with my G3 and 14mm, 20mm That makes sense.... the lens must have OIS to have this feature.... Still think it lamo...... All my DSLRs I had, had it, with or without any kind of image stabilizing.

4. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I see. That's why some of the photos (presumably taken with my 14-42mm) were correctly oriented while others (presumably taken with my 20mm) were not.

Thanks!